U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:05 AM

5 posts, read 21,004 times

Advertisements

Well Im finally got enough money saved up to move towards the coast of NC from the triad area and I have had a lot of recommendations about moving to Jacksonville, Swansboro, Hubert... really any place around Camp Lejuene. I have a few places picked out that I want to look at, but I would also appreciate any suggestions as to where to look for a place if anyone has any ideas.

I need somewhere that

is low rent.. no more than 400-500 a month...
accepts pets... i have a dog & 5 rabbits
preferably has some kind of yard (i like gardening)
is not in the middle of the city, but is not far from it

If you have any suggestions on where to look, please let me know

thanks so much

sparkles4me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 PM

120 posts, read 568,790 times
Default re

I'd check out Wilmington. I didn't care for Jacksonville any at all, the nicest thing about it is Camp Lejune. Visit it and check it out, maybe you'll have a different opinion, but for me Jacksonville was one of those "why would anybody want to live here" cities. Wilmington is a pretty cool city on the coast and is not all that further south, and it has more going for it.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 34,610 times
Default Hubert

We have lived in Hubert for four years. I like it because it's quiet, the houses aren't on top of each other. It's a 10 minute drive to the beach and five to ten minutes from the base. I have seen lots of rentals along Rte 172, have no idea what rents are. There are some duplexes off the 172 as well. There are apartments for rent in Swansboro on Rte 24. Swansboro is very nice and not far from Emerald Isle. Jacksonville is not my favorite place, however, Wilimington is an hour away or more, depending on where you live.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 PM

232 posts, read 690,764 times
You might try the area near Kellum Loop road. It's a mile or two north of Jacksonville. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of duplexes and small houses for rent around there. Jacksonville might not be Wilmington, but it has plenty of things going for it. It grows on you...kind of like a fungus.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM

24 posts, read 127,121 times
My family moved to NC in 1989.
They have live in several areas and have owned businesses that covered the entire state.
They say a big NO to Jacksonville.
Just fyi.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,991 times
I think Jax and Hubert are both ugly. This whole area has horrible zoning laws. You may live in a nice sub-division but have to pass several trailers and trailers parks to get to your home.

If we could move, we would. My husband's military career prevents us from doing so.

Wilmington has more to offer than Jax but it still has a long way to go to.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Trailers?!! [GASP] In North Carolina? Shocking!! Oh, the horror of it all...

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,921 times
Thumbs down Re: Jacksonville??? Contaminated water!!!

You need to think again if you want yourself or your family to stay healthy. That whole area is bad news...Do a search & read for yourself. You have to be a retiree looking to use your benefits to even consider moving any where near Camp LeJeune to begin with.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyHogue View Post
You need to think again if you want yourself or your family to stay healthy. That whole area is bad news...Do a search & read for yourself. You have to be a retiree looking to use your benefits to even consider moving any where near Camp LeJeune to begin with.
Unfortunately, Jacksonville is not unique in that respect. Many people around the country are living near "superfund" sites. According to the Center for Public Integrity:

"Nearly half of the U.S. population lives within 10 miles of one of the 1,304 active and proposed Superfund sites listed by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the Center's analysis of these sites and U.S. Census data of the 2000 population."

For anyone who is interested, the webpage below has information about superfund sites in North Carolina:

Wasting Away - The Center for Public Integrity (broken link)

Last edited by Sleestak; 07-19-2007 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,898 times
Default Need help Posting My Condo for Sale - Atlanta

Hello,

I just found this website today. I think it is awesome.

Although I can't seem to figure out how to post your comments on the Forum. I have a Condo in Atlanta, GA I would like to post for sale.

Can you give me some tips on where to start. I already created my Profile, and accepted the agreement terms.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Zmoore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina