Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times

Advertisements

we have a well and some of our faucets have the sulfur smell coming when we turn the water on.
seems like treatment of this problem is short lived.
so, is there a permanent solution to this?
can anybody refer us to a good well treatment company?
look on the internet and you will se what a scam well treatment is , hard to know where to turn.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

148 posts, read 611,326 times
From what I understand short dilled wells, espaecially east of Beaufort, can have a rotten egg smell. Where I live in Cape Carteret, to many people drill a shallow well 30-40ft and you see sulfur stains on their driveways and home...

Ive been told the good water is about 180 feet or more down....I would rather pay the well driller extra to get good water, than have stains or smell....

But all this is from speaking with well installers and drillers...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
When I lived on Oak Island, my neighbor and I both put in wells to use for watering our yards. They were maybe 25 yards apart. Mine was down 17 feet, his 24, if I recall. His always smelled of sulfer mine never did.

I never drank any from well, but the Centipede ate it up, but it was sure pretty, clean smelling water.

I would think, the deeper you go, the better you will be.

lln

Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM

444 posts, read 1,615,027 times
Its a rather large coastal area. Would depend on where you are as to which treatment company might be able to help.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:28 PM

we are in wilmington ,nc
our well is 80 feet deep , we do have a charcoal filter treatment system on the well but it is not doing its job
we have one for the geothermal and another for drinking
i have learned that it can also affect only certain spickets in the house , our hot water does not smell because we raised the temp for a short while on the water heater.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 PM

291 posts, read 870,094 times
When we were on well water, and our well was about 150 feet deep, the water tasted great, but we sometimes had that sulpher smell. We were told that if the anode rod in the water heater were removed, it sometimes solved the problem. We had the plumber do that, and it solved our problem. Our well water was great- tested beautifully and we loved it, but signed up for the "city water" (Rocky Point) since it became available and the hook up was so cheap for the initial period!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM

43 posts, read 113,019 times
If the COLD water smells like sulfur then the problem is in the water supply, not the anode rod. If only the hot water smells then the anode rod can be the problem.

A low dose chlorinator is an excellent remedy for a sulfur smell. If you have a softener, the chlorine (bleach) can be added to that. If no softener is there, then a stand alone chlorinator can be installed. The chlorine level should be adjusted to put out about 0.7 to 1.0 ppm chlorine.

Be VERY careful if you decide to add a carbon filter to your water supply because carbon is a breeding ground for coliform bacteria.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 AM

thank you h2ostr

it does come out of the cold water spicket, not the hot water.
we do have a softener so i will look into this.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 16,523 times
Pouring chlorine in the well will kill the smell temperaraly but to keep it gone there has to be oxidation. They make an aerator that gones on a spigot at the well head and shoots a fine mist into the well that will keep the smell from returning once chlorinated

Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
You also want to be careful about removing an anode rod. They are there to keep the pipes in your house from rotting out. If the rod gone then corrosion is occuring in the pipes instead of the rod. If the rod does cause a rotten egg smell then your water pH is probably very low (highly acidic water).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina