Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM

27 posts, read 53,481 times

Advertisements

We will finally be visiting the area with our children next week!! It's a vacation/checking the area out trip. I have been on these boards alot and done tons of research but there are things only locals will know. So I was hoping to find out places to go to or events happening that really would give us a feel of the area. Also, I'm sure there are many amazing places for fresh sea food. Any favorite low key places? With little ones we don't want anything formal. Thank you for all your input! Can't wait to finally visit!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
El's Drive In is a must! Gotta get a El's Shrimp Burger but also order one of their home made shakes!
El's Drive-In serves up its unique flavor of the '50s - Dining - NewsObserver.com

Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks Bill! My Husband will be thrilled to try the shrimp burger!! Will definately stop there!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Lots to do in the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
We will finally be visiting the area with our children next week!! It's a vacation/checking the area out trip. I have been on these boards alot and done tons of research but there are things only locals will know. So I was hoping to find out places to go to or events happening that really would give us a feel of the area. Also, I'm sure there are many amazing places for fresh sea food. Any favorite low key places? With little ones we don't want anything formal. Thank you for all your input! Can't wait to finally visit!!!
Right besides of El's is the relatively new Snapperz restaurant. We have only been there once, but it is casual, and I think kids would like it.

We like El's also but eating in the car with the kids isn't my favorite thing.

We live 20-25 minutes away from MHC in the Cape Carteret area. If you were down our way, I would recommend Nicky's of Swansboro (http://crystalcoastnorthcarolina.us/content/fried-clam-strip-nickys-swansboro - broken link) for good fresh seafood that is reasonably priced. Another nice casual family restaurant is the Fairway just a little ways up 58 from where it intersects with Highway 24. They have something for everyone including some that you would not expect in a small restaurant.

We have enjoyed some great evening seafood meals at Spouter's in Beaufort. It's not very formal. There is also the Nethouse in Beaufort which is pretty casual and does a great job with fried seafood and steamed food. They usually have a grouper dish that isn't fried.

One of the best old time Carolina seafood places is T&W's Oyster House. The original owner, Earl, is back and the place has fried flounder that is hard to beat. Jordan's on Emerald Isle also does great fried seafood.

More expensive but the best grouper in the area is served at Riverside Steak and Seafood in Swansboro.

There are lots of other area restaurants that serve good seafood.

However, my recent experiences at Captain Bills and Sanitary have not been good, so I would skip them.

You can check out my Beaufort Travel Guide (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link) and my Emerald Isle travel guide (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link).

For my favorite restaurants in Cape Carteret-Emerald Isle area, you can use this map.

Of course the best seafood is that what you get off the boat and cook yourself.

If cooking seafood is a little intimidating, take home a cooler of shrimp and fix them there. It is a great reminder of why the coast is such a great place to visit and live.

You can find pictures of lots of the area attractions at this website.

Last edited by dsobotta; 08-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: forgot link

Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 PM

dsobotta, So helpful! Thank you so much!!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM

282 posts, read 873,319 times
Haven't been in years, but the aquarium North Carolina Aquariums » North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores was a big hit with me when I was a kid. They have (had?) an open "tank" with live horseshoe crabs, etc., that you can touch.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 AM

We will be staying near the Pine Knoll Shores area so that is a great suggestion. Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina