U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 AM

890 posts, read 3,970,328 times

Advertisements

I lived in Wilmington from 1992-2003. We lived six miles from the beach. First off housing is not super cheap, I guess it might be relative to where you are coming from, but a recent study just revealed that new homes are 27% overpriced in Wilmington due to impact fees. The highest in the state. Also home prices have risen considerably there over the last 2 years. It might have been a reasonable place to live at one time, but not so much anymore. Lots of neighborhoods there with cookie cutter/McMansion type homes.

Hurricanes: Wilmington is nicknamed Hurricane Alley. For some reason it just seems to attract them, it could be because Wilmington sticks out more. I went through 6 of them when we lived there, not to mention others that had downgraded by the time they came in as tropical depressions. Even a tropical depression can bring down a tree. Bertha and Fran hit within months of each other. Bertha did minimal damage. Fran did widespread damage, lots of downed trees, water surge, roof damage (we lost ours). Wrightsville Beach took a good licking. We had no power or water for 2 days, some of the areas further out didn't have it for weeks. My neighbor had a pine tree fall on his house and it was laying in the middle of his daughters bedroom. I've seen hurricanes cause more damage 60 miles inland than on the coast. To believe that you are safe from a hurricane because you are inland a few measly miles is a false sense of security. Floyd was the hurricane that caused more damage in Raleigh. Thousands were flooded out of their homes in Rocky Mount, Tarboro and Greenville and had to live in FEMA trailers. Wilmington got 23 inches of rain. Hardest rain I have ever seen. I was really worried we were going to lose our home with this one. We ended up evacuating at 5 a.m. after we took a video of all our possessions in the house. We went to Western NC and could not return for 4 days because all roads leading into Wilmington were flooded. 35 people in NC died during Floyd. So I guess if you weren't here to actually experience the devastation and loss firsthand that a hurricane causes, then I guess you can brush it off as not much of an inconvenience. Which is quite an understatement. All hurricanes are inconvenient and expensive too.

I don't quite understand the no "hustle and bustle" part. Wilmington is overdeveloped, overbuilt, overcrowded, overpriced and is ranked as having the most dangerous roads in the state, worse than Charlotte (which is second). I've even heard people refer to it as a mini-Charlotte. Traffic is horrendous. The neighborhoods are designed as throughfares to ease the traffic congestion. There are strip malls on top of strip malls there. I think it has plenty of hustle and bustle personally, too much.

Last edited by scjj; 08-14-2006 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 11:34 AM

915 posts, read 2,315,214 times
You are dead on with the traffic problems. I don't miss Wilmington traffic at all. City planners did not foresee the growth, and now to get around within the city is painful no matter what route you take. No freeways within the city at all, they all stop once you get into town either from the west (US 74-76) or from the north (I-40 ends just north of Wilmington). Stoplight after stoplight, strip mall after strip mall.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors
You are dead on with the traffic problems. I don't miss Wilmington traffic at all. City planners did not foresee the growth, and now to get around within the city is painful no matter what route you take. No freeways within the city at all, they all stop once you get into town either from the west (US 74-76) or from the north (I-40 ends just north of Wilmington). Stoplight after stoplight, strip mall after strip mall.
Yeah, not to mention how rude the drivers are too. They tailgate and drive like nuts. I read everyday about some bad accident there. You know it's bad when they have to put cameras at the intersections to catch the redlight runners. I once had a guy ride my butt and then pass me and motion like he was shooting me with a gun with his hand all because I was doing the speed limit! They're crazy there.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:49 PM

56 posts, read 306,264 times
Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
A few things have happened since you lived a the area.

Traffic headaches bypassed: New route proving no shorter, but may be faster

By Trista Talton
Staff Writer
trista.talton@starnewsonline.com

Commuters are giving Market Street the cold shoulder.

Since the U.S. 17 bypass opened in early July, the highway looping north of Wilmington has turned traffic-snarled commutes into easy-breezy trips for commuters.

Ogden resident Joeita Strickland is a living testament to the benefits of the bypass, which opened in early July. Her daily commute to General Electric, where she works the graveyard shift, has been cut from about 25 minutes one-way to 11 minutes.

mod cut (copyrigths)

Last edited by Yac; 08-15-2006 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-14-2006, 11:52 PM

oops, sorry. Typo. a = in

Old 08-15-2006, 05:54 AM

Yeah, I know all about the bypass, I have a nephew that lives in Ogden. That's fine if you are making a commute from Porters Neck to Castle Hayne or heading out of town, but for those who don't, you will still be stuck dealing with the daily grind of the local traffic. From my experience there, very few locals left town everyday or went to Castle Hayne unless you worked at the GE plant. Besides that, who wants to drive all the way out to Porters Neck to get on the darn thing? It's only convenient for those who live out that way. That's why the bypass is such a breeze...there's nobody on it! Most of the traffic on Market was from the outside areas coming into Wilmington for work. If you work or shop in town you won't take the bypass. Nope, it's too little a LOT too late, the roads are s c r e wed up there with no way to fix them. From what I have been told, since we left the traffic has gotten much worse.

Last edited by scjj; 08-15-2006 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-15-2006, 08:13 AM

Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
Yeah, I know all about the bypass, I have a nephew that lives in Ogden. That's fine if you are making a commute from Porters Neck to Castle Hayne or heading out of town, but for those who don't, you will still be stuck dealing with the daily grind of the local traffic. From my experience there, very few locals left town everyday or went to Castle Hayne unless you worked at the GE plant. Besides that, who wants to drive all the way out to Porters Neck to get on the darn thing? It's only convenient for those who live out that way. That's why the bypass is such a breeze...there's nobody on it! Most of the traffic on Market was from the outside areas coming into Wilmington for work. If you work or shop in town you won't take the bypass. Nope, it's too little a LOT too late, the roads are s c r e wed up there with no way to fix them. From what I have been told, since we left the traffic has gotten much worse.
"Yeah, I know all about the by-pass" Then you must also know the reason
for the by-pass was to let the I-40 south-bound through traffic to go AROUND Wilmington instead of through it. Which it has been doing for years. I suppose that the new Martin Luther King Jr. Pkwy is also too little, too late.

By-the-way, how about commenting on what you know and not what you heard from your nephew. Thats the problem with these posts. Alot of the
time, people posting on what they heard second hand from someone else.
I wish people would stop doing that.
From what you wrote about Wilmington, you must really hate it there.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 AM

Why don't you comment about what YOU know and what you know is nothing about me. Did I say I heard it from my nephew? No, I don't believe I did. The bypass was in the beginning stages when I lived there. I read the news there everyday, I know what is going on. I read that above article a week or two ago. I guess all these terrible accidents that have been happening all over town though is because traffic there is flowing so smoothly there now because of the bypass? In all the years I lived there, I've never heard of more serious accidents where people there are either getting killed or severely injured than I have within the last year. It's almost daily.

I don't hate the place, but I'm not going to mislead someone either and pretend that it's perfect. I tell it like it is. I'm not the only one who had negative comments either. If you don't agree then give us your perspective on what it's like to live there. I just see you complaining about my comments, but you're adding nothing constructive to help out the OP.

Last edited by scjj; 08-15-2006 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-15-2006, 10:01 AM

915 posts, read 2,315,214 times
The bypass is great for those going around town, but for those commuting from let's say, Carolina Beach to Castle Hayne (Carolina Beach Road to College Road til it becomes I-40) like I did for two years, it's not going to improve things at all. It does not address the College Road or Oleander nightmares, but I guess it would improve things on Market St.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The bypass is great for those going around town, but for those commuting from let's say, Carolina Beach to Castle Hayne (Carolina Beach Road to College Road til it becomes I-40) like I did for two years, it's not going to improve things at all. It does not address the College Road or Oleander nightmares, but I guess it would improve things on Market St.

Thank you!!!!! That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina