U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 PM

56 posts, read 306,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
Thank you!!!!! That was my point.

The point in having these 2 NEW roads is, to ALLEVIATE the in-town traffic.
So people won't be caught up in the SOUTHBOUND THROUGH TRAFFIC that has plagued Wilmington since they opened I-40.

That was my point.

BTW, why did you leave this info. about Wilmington out of your posts?
Did you decide, all by yourself, that these 2 roads were not going to do
anything to help the traffic situation in Wilmington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 12:59 AM

Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
Thank you!!!!! That was my point.

The point in having these 2 NEW roads is, to ALLEVIATE the in-town traffic.
So people won't be caught up in the SOUTHBOUND THROUGH TRAFFIC that has plagued Wilmington since they opened I-40.

That was my point.

BTW, why did you leave this info. about Wilmington out of your posts?
Did you decide, all by yourself, that these 2 roads were not going to do
anything to help the traffic situation in Wilmington?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 AM

787 posts, read 3,323,181 times
Wilmington looked like a war zone when Fran came through in 1996. It was also hit by Bertha in 1996, Bonnie in 1998, Dennis in 1999 and Floyd in 1999. There for a while it was like someone painted a bull's eye on the place. If I were determined to get in that area, I would stay off the beach front and perhaps go inland a little to Rocky Point or Castle Hayne. Rocky Point is in Pender County not the more expensive New Hanover County. But they tell me the schools are better in New Hanover. Still, since I don't have school aged children I would consider Rocky Point. I am not totally sure which county Castle Hayne and Hamstead are in but they are great little towns. My BIL has been down there for years and has never had any hurricane damage to speak of in Rocky Point. Of course that can change when the next big one comes through and we are over due for one.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,647 times
Can anyone suggest anything do or look at here in Wilmington. I came down to go to the beach but I'm stuck here too Saturday in a hotel room due to my injury. Everytime we attempt to drive somewhere I don't see a darn thing. What am I missing about this place? I've been to Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Monkey Junction parts of Wilmington I have to be missing something. Someone called this a mini Charlotte where's the stuff? Any suggestions I just want to ride around and sight see something. Anything?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:57 AM

Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Can anyone suggest anything do or look at here in Wilmington. I came down to go to the beach but I'm stuck here too Saturday in a hotel room due to my injury. Everytime we attempt to drive somewhere I don't see a darn thing. What am I missing about this place? I've been to Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Monkey Junction parts of Wilmington I have to be missing something. Someone called this a mini Charlotte where's the stuff? Any suggestions I just want to ride around and sight see something. Anything?
I don't know where they got mini Charlotte but, have you tried cruising around downtown by the Cape Fear River? Alot of history there. That to me is worth a trip. I don't know if you are into battleships but, the North Carolina has always been an eye opener. It is impressive just driving up to it.
Maybe try further south alittle past Kure to Ft. Fisher and the N.C. Aquarium. Then take a nice ferry ride over to see Southport and check out Oak Island.
Oak Island is somewhat different than Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure.
On your trip back to Wilmington take Hwy. 133. About half way back is the Orton Plantation and Old Brunswick Town or what is left of it.
I hope you have a better time and good luck with your injuries.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.Citizen View Post
I don't know where they got mini Charlotte but, have you tried cruising around downtown by the Cape Fear River? Alot of history there. That to me is worth a trip. I don't know if you are into battleships but, the North Carolina has always been an eye opener. It is impressive just driving up to it.
Maybe try further south alittle past Kure to Ft. Fisher and the N.C. Aquarium. Then take a nice ferry ride over to see Southport and check out Oak Island.
Oak Island is somewhat different than Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure.
On your trip back to Wilmington take Hwy. 133. About half way back is the Orton Plantation and Old Brunswick Town or what is left of it.
I hope you have a better time and good luck with your injuries.

Ok I will venture out again and see what I can find, I would love to take the Ferry but I have a walker and a wheel chair it's hard to get around so I'm basically stuck in the back seat of my car with my foot up. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it another shot.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:36 AM

Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Ok I will venture out again and see what I can find, I would love to take the Ferry but I have a walker and a wheel chair it's hard to get around so I'm basically stuck in the back seat of my car with my foot up. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it another shot.

Try being one of the first in line for the ferry. You will still have a good view
from your car. Also, the ferry trip is not that long. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,227 times
I grew up around wilmington and carolina beach, as well as attended uncw, and I can tell you this is a fantastic town. They are very supportive of the arts, and the artistic culture is growing (I am a local artist and am very excited by these developments!).This is complimented my a wonderful museum and galleries all over town. The public school system is not the finest in the counrty, but well respected and working on improving. Cape Fear Tech and UNCW are great institutions and very supportive of their students. UNCW is highly ranked among public universities throughout the country as well as ranking third best public university in NC. The athletics programs are very competetive in all the schools, at all age levels, and is greatly supported by the community and local News Station, WECT. the beaches are great, especially in the offseason when they quiet down. You can even hear the whales on the migratory path between november and january. Fort fisher has a sea turtle haven where viewing the turtles coming ashore and laying their eggs is possible. Downtown offers great entertainment and nightlife for all different kinds of folks. during the summer you can enjoy live street bands performing on the beautiful brick streets. I have weather nubmerous hurricanes, and I have to tell you, most people overreact. You normally don't have much to worry about around here till the storm gets around a very strong cat 2 or 3. and that rarely happens. the last cat 3 storm we had was almost 10 years ago. overall, this can be a fantstic place to raise a family, it has it's flaws sure, but it offers small town charm and a laid back feel with the covienence of a bigger city.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 AM

956 posts, read 4,074,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
I.. Floyd was the hurricane that caused more damage in Raleigh. Thousands were flooded out of their homes in Rocky Mount, Tarboro and Greenville and had to live in FEMA trailers. ..
When Floyd hit, I had just flown in from NYC. A friend of mine picked me up at RDU to take me back to Greenville. Well, his daughter lived on Carolina Beach. We ended up driving into the hurricane to pick up his daughter and grand child. The next month in Greenville area, was like living in a war zone. I mean like Viet Nam, with military choppers flying people into Pitt Hospital, etc.
And the smell Awful.

During the 7 years I lived in Eastern NC, we saw 7 hurricanes. Don't miss it a whit.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:09 PM

787 posts, read 3,323,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
When Floyd hit, I had just flown in from NYC. A friend of mine picked me up at RDU to take me back to Greenville. Well, his daughter lived on Carolina Beach. We ended up driving into the hurricane to pick up his daughter and grand child. The next month in Greenville area, was like living in a war zone. I mean like Viet Nam, with military choppers flying people into Pitt Hospital, etc.
And the smell Awful.

During the 7 years I lived in Eastern NC, we saw 7 hurricanes. Don't miss it a whit.
Yeah that is true and I am beginning to think that mother nature might be trying us out for size since we have just gotten most of the state back together that Floyd damaged in 1999. Do you realize that we have been struck, sideswiped or direct hit by three system this year alone? And each one has been progressively worse than the one before it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina