U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 11,518 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I was raised in Wilmington, NC from the age of 2 until I joined the Navy at age 19. That was almost 24-years ago now. Though I realize it will never be the same, I really am looking forward to moving back to Wilmington when I retire from the Navy late next year.

I'm looking for all the good things that can be said about Wilmington. Though I know there will be plenty of you with negative thoughts, I ask you to use one of the other threads to post those. I just want the good things people have experienced in Wilmington. Great neighborhoods, great places to work, great churches to attend, great places to visit, great schools to enroll in, great places to shop, great museums to visit, great opportunities to live, laugh, and enjoy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,252,516 times
106.7 is the best radio station in America.

in the right neighborhoods, you can commute by bike.

we have very good local restaurants and bars.

the weather here is great 8 months out of the year, and not bad the other 4.

we have a critical mass of people who care about culture, organic/local food, the local environment, who seem to travel and "get out" much more often than you find in other similar-sized cities.

fresh fish is easy to find

women here are unbelievable.

we are not exceedingly "corporate," like raleigh or charlotte. you can live without ever visiting a chain or big box store.

ILM has direct flights to the world's biggest airport, which takes you anywhere on earth relatively easily.

Last edited by le roi; 08-30-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM

551 posts, read 1,700,269 times
OK, I also like 106.7 awesome radio station. Lots of good, non-chain restaurants. The beach is good. The airport is convenient. I like the weather. A really nice house is affordable. If you want to take classes there is UNCW and Cape Fear Community College. People are really nice. OK shopping we have Walmart, Target, Sams Club Home Depot, Lowe's, a mall with all the usual mall stores and department stores, Mayfair Center and Lumina Station with some upscale places if you are into that. There is a lot of free music at night outside and a lot of music venues and bars etc. You ask about churches. We are Catholic, if you are interested in that I could tell you more if not I'm not the right one to ask. In general I think it is friendly and low key.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 18,657 times
I am truly happy to see these few "good" posts. I have obligated myself to move to the New Hanover County area for at least a year, alone w/ 2 young children to raise. I have read so much about the terrible crime, the awful neighborhoods and how so many dislike the people who aren't natives of Wilmington. I have also read how they despise anyone using rental assistance. The economy is bad every where. I will be relocating there in a month or less. I am moving there with a HUD rental voucher in hand. I do understand many people milk the system but not all. The city and state I will be moving from will be paying my housing costs as well as myself. I will not be using the people of New Hanover Counties hard earned tax dollars. I worked in the health care field for years, making a fair living and raised 3 children on my own since their dad decided he wasn't cut out for father hood (yes, we were married). I took in and adopted 2 small children that a family member wasn't capable or willing to do. The 9 yr old has been with me since she was 2 weeks old and the 5 yr old since he was 13 mos old. Shortly after the youngest child came to live with me (by the way they call me momma and I feel no different toward them than if I had carried them) I started having a problem with my back. I still continued to work but then I got to the point I could barely get out of bed to take care of my children. I had ruptured two discs and they had messed up my sciatic nerve during surgery. After some time healing at home I returned to work. It wasn't a month down the road I was having another surgery. Since then I have had 4 surgeries with titanium plates starting at the base of my neck with rods, pins and screws ending at my tailbone. I was told my total spine is eat up with arthritis and during the last surgery the dr cut into my L5 root nerve leaving me with RSD, irreversible and no cure, so of course I have been put on total and permanent disability. Soc. Sec. Disability is not a big source of income so I did apply for help since it's almost impossible to pay rent, water, elec., car insuarance, phone (the basics) and I still have household supplies to buy as well as shoes and clothes for the children as they seem to grow so fast. I was offered portability to my place of choice since a protective order had to be put in place against the biological mother of these children. I have always loved the coastal areas of NC and fell in love with the areas between Topsail and Kure beach as I often vacationed there since childhood as well as I still do with the children. I figured this would be a great place for us for many reasons. Our love of the beach, more landlords there willing to accept rental assistance than here, not to mention the milder climate for the arthritis pain in my back and believe me the cold flares up the pain with a vingence as well as it does the RSD pain. I also wanted a place where I could do more outdoor activities with the kids as I home school them and see the great outdoors and the surrounding beauty as a wonderful classroom. There are many more museums and historical places there not to mention the aquarium and many other interesting things we could do together as a family. After reading so many of the other posts I had become terrified and was dreading the moment that the New Hanover County PHA informed me it was time for us to come there to find our home. I have waited for this help for more than 3 years now and cannot afford to lose it. When I took these children in as my responsibility and on the promise to love them as my own I could not predict that my future would turn out this way. None of us can. I guess in a way I am getting my retirement early since I have paid in Soc. Sec. taxes since I was 15 yrs old just not as much had I been able to draw if I could have continued to work until retirement age. I would never think of giving them up because they are my life as well as I am theirs. They have not been spoiled with material things but with love. I only want to give them a decent life while teaching them love of themselves and for others, compassion, respect and love for Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I need to see more good things posted to calm my fears and lessen my worries as well as the best rural area's to search for housing. I had begun to feel very guilty since the decisions I make are not just for me but for them also. I have been thinking, "Dear Lord what am I getting them into". It's hard enough to make the decision to leave family and friends to go somewhere that you know no one, alone and with small children. Sorry this post is so long but I have been reading on here for a few weeks and as I said the more I read the more terrified I have become. I guess I just needed to let all the fears and concerns run from my mind and into print. Please give me more info on the good side and the good things and the good people and the good quiet areas, etc. Sincerely, Donna A. in Va.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,819 times
^There are many people out there that love Wilmington. I think what most people warn about Wilmington is that many people go there with really high expectations and are disappointed when they realize that it suffers from many of the same pitfalls that other areas face. Touristy areas such as Wilmington often do not have a lot of high paying jobs. It is a beautiful area that I would consider living in one day if my career takes me there.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,449,722 times
Just friendly advice, please write your long posts in paragraphs and not boldfaced/italicized, if you want people to read the whole thing. I gave up after a few sentences because it hurt my eyes.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Sorry about that. New to this. It has took me 3 weeks of reading to get up the nerve to post. My apologies

Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
^There are many people out there that love Wilmington. I think what most people warn about Wilmington is that many people go there with really high expectations and are disappointed when they realize that it suffers from many of the same pitfalls that other areas face. Touristy areas such as Wilmington often do not have a lot of high paying jobs. It is a beautiful area that I would consider living in one day if my career takes me there.
I truly can understand that. I live in the southern region of Va. and we have many transplants here from up North to West VA. that have thought by coming here they could make a better life. We used to be a thriving textile and furniture industry town but as most the companies have completely shut down or moved to other countries. Some do not realize this before they come and then they are stuck. We have been hit very hard also by the economy but as my Mom tells me, "you never know Donna until you try it, if you don't like it you can come back in a year or move on somewhere else". I am lucky to have that opportunity as most don't. I may hate it there but then I may never care to move anywhere else. I will only know that if I try. I was just happy to some people were trying to posts the positives and just not all the negatives.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,048,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Just friendly advice, please write your long posts in paragraphs and not boldfaced/italicized, if you want people to read the whole thing. I gave up after a few sentences because it hurt my eyes.
I agree. I saw it and skipped right over the whole thing.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I agree. I saw it and skipped right over the whole thing.
I apologized for my mistake of writing in bold/italic. Again I am sorry. I got on here finally to find out the "GOOD" but the only replies I have gotten so far has been my bad choice of posting style. Thanks anyway. Can someone please tell me if I can delete the post so no one else has to be subjected to trying to read it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina