Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM

42 posts, read 240,986 times

Advertisements

Hi, I looking to move to Wilmington area. I have a couple friends that own town homes on the water and have boats and enjoy fishing and boating up to dockside etc. They have families but sneakl down often on their own for couple days from Raleigh area where we all live. I've done this with them many times. I'm single and want to move down full time and rent place for a year and really get to know the area and where I would like to really be. I can pay for decent place 1400-2200 a month range. I want to get a slip and eventually get a boat. So was thinking looking in wirghtsville or a little south somewhere and set up.

However, I also like town living and have lived in a couple nice towns in my life. it's nice to walk into town and get your coffee and walk to eat and drink etc. I'm not sure which way to go. Yes I want to be able to boat with my friends over to the restarunts and bars they go to on the water and hang out but if i had a slip in town area somehwere I imagine that would be inconvenient getting back and forth. I think there would be more activity in town and social lfe though and I have no interest in drinking and driving of course so toen living is easier for that.

Anyway what do you think for single guy? Live in town in nice place or get a ncie condo or townhome close to water over in wrightsville or other area in those parts?

Thanks a lot and hope all is well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,182,317 times
There are actually quite a few restaurants within walking distance of condos in Wrightsville along the ICW. You can also easily walk/bike to Starbucks or Port City Java and the grocery and several stores. I'd personally choose WB if you have the money. I guess all I can suggest is to go look at the area and see what just feels right.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM

ok thank you for your reply

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,599,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus03 View Post
Hi, I looking to move to Wilmington area. I have a couple friends that own town homes on the water and have boats and enjoy fishing and boating up to dockside etc. They have families but sneakl down often on their own for couple days from Raleigh area where we all live. I've done this with them many times. I'm single and want to move down full time and rent place for a year and really get to know the area and where I would like to really be. I can pay for decent place 1400-2200 a month range. I want to get a slip and eventually get a boat. So was thinking looking in wirghtsville or a little south somewhere and set up.

However, I also like town living and have lived in a couple nice towns in my life. it's nice to walk into town and get your coffee and walk to eat and drink etc. I'm not sure which way to go. Yes I want to be able to boat with my friends over to the restarunts and bars they go to on the water and hang out but if i had a slip in town area somehwere I imagine that would be inconvenient getting back and forth. I think there would be more activity in town and social lfe though and I have no interest in drinking and driving of course so toen living is easier for that.

Anyway what do you think for single guy? Live in town in nice place or get a ncie condo or townhome close to water over in wrightsville or other area in those parts?

Thanks a lot and hope all is well.
what you're willing to spend per month will rent something nice. you have a lot of choices, so take your time to look at different places -- some of these condos around wrightsville are a total ripoff, i see them asking $2000+/month for a 2 bedroom. in my mind the ideal set up would be to have a place on wrightsville beach, that backs up to banks channel, with a dock and a boat slip. i don't know what that would run you, exactly.

if you don't have a boat, and you really like bars, or if you're concerned that you might not find a "new crowd", then downtown might be a better choice.

if you have a boat and a slip, if you like to fish, or if you have friends in the area, i'd do the marina thing, no question.

the locals are different in the two areas. hang out a bit, wander around at each in the evening on the weekday, and you will see what i mean.

Last edited by le roi; 09-01-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM

ok thank you. I suppose there's no way to describe the 2 crowds without offending someone

Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM

311 posts, read 911,795 times
I lived downtown for a year and I could not imagine living in Wilmington outside of downtown. There's just nothing like it to be able to walk downtown to do things where it is usually always hopping, feels lively, and is just a lovely atmosphere at all times of the day. you also get the riverwalk so it's not like you will be away from water.. and when you want to use your boat, i would guess on weekends? you can just go to wrightsville which isn't far. Best of both worlds. I think it's better to live the downtown life and drive a few minutes for boating purposes, than vice versa. I think you would get much more use out of living downtown than living at the beach. I personally thought there wasn't a ton to do by the beach.. everything is spaced out more.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Did you get a chance to visit Asheville? What do you think about living downtown there? I could go mountains and lakes and town life too

Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM

311 posts, read 911,795 times
who me? I did visit Asheville once. It's pretty, but I didn't care for it at all in terms of living there, just extremely not my cup of tea. I would never live in the mountains.. mountains make me feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere, and lonely, and I hate that lol. I like "hopping" atmospheres. But, if you love mountains, it may be right up your alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina