U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,719 times

Advertisements

I am a married father of five children living in a smaller college town in Alabama. I am a self-employed CPA with a stay at home wife that homeschools three of our five children. We are looking to possibly relocate to NC. More than likely I would be looking to acquire another practice from a retiring CPA prior to the move, therefore it may take a while for the move to actually take place. Can someone please recommend a town or suburb with a strong family appeal on or within a very short drive of the coast? We will be looking for homes of approximately 2500-3500 square feet. We would like the area to be of somewhat historical significance and conservative. Just for background, we are pretty much Republican/Liberatarian leaning and strong Christians with a contemporary Baptist/Methodist background. We enjoy antiques, parks, soccer, travel, and beaches.

Thanks for any and all help provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,436,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcurry View Post
I am a married father of five children living in a smaller college town in Alabama. I am a self-employed CPA with a stay at home wife that homeschools three of our five children. We are looking to possibly relocate to NC. More than likely I would be looking to acquire another practice from a retiring CPA prior to the move, therefore it may take a while for the move to actually take place. Can someone please recommend a town or suburb with a strong family appeal on or within a very short drive of the coast? We will be looking for homes of approximately 2500-3500 square feet. We would like the area to be of somewhat historical significance and conservative. Just for background, we are pretty much Republican/Liberatarian leaning and strong Christians with a contemporary Baptist/Methodist background. We enjoy antiques, parks, soccer, travel, and beaches.
Wilmington is the only real "city" (small) that's right on the coast in NC. Jacksonville might be a possibility, but it's a military town, not a place for kids to grow up, I'd imagine. The rest of NC's coastal towns are very tiny; you didn't specify what size town/city you were looking for?

You might look toward South Carolina as well--SC is decidedly more politically conservative than NC, which is technically a "Blue state".

Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,719 times
Thanks for the information. Hopefully others will reply as well. I live in an area that with students runs about 75,000 in population and would like to stay in that size range or smaller. Personally, smaller would be great, but I do need a fair population to generate a client base. The politics is not huge for me, we aren't that motivated by politics since neither party seem to be able to make much headway on anything substantial. I've wondered about SC, and am open to suggestions there also, but NC seems to be more desirable based on what I have read.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM

2,650 posts, read 6,093,311 times
Seems you need to think more about where you can do business, as CPA firms don't come up for sale every day. You may want to contact the NC Association of CPA's. They have lots of resources for practitioners. Their members magazine has classifieds that sometimes list practices for sale--dont' know if this information is available on their web page, but here's the link: North Carolina Association of CPAs

Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,826,131 times
Francois, this guy is coming from Alabama, not New England. By the yankee definition of city the only cities in AL are Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile. Though I mentioned it myself earlier, I cam getting a lil tired of Wilmington referred as the only real city. It makes it sound like it's the only place with any kind of culture or retail on the coast when the only thing it really has on anywhere else is traffic. Beaufort-MHC area has been cited as having one of the best art scenes in the country Also makes it sound like the rest of the coast has nothing to do but sit on the porch with a piece of straw in your mouth watching the skeeters.

As far as Jacksonville, it's not a military town in the same way that Fayetteville is a military town. Back in the seedy days of Court Street in the 70s and 80s that might've been true, but at the present time Jacksonville's main cons are the lack of female prospects for single men, the traffic that comes with so many people in so small a space (same as every other "city" in NC), and the lack of jobs outside of retail/services sector unless you work on or for the base. That said Onslow county still has one lowest unemployment rates in the state. 8% last time I checked. I have friends that grew up in the Jacksonville area independent of the military and it not play a factor into their childhoods (unless you count the fact a couple of them either joined the military or married a servicemember )

Alright off of the soapbox.

Edit: I misread your post slcurry. I wrote the following with the though that you wanted 75K or higher population, not 75K or less. In that case Jacksonville and Greenville are slightly above your population requirements, but you could live in one of their suburbs like Hubert or Winterville respectively. I think New Bern most meets your criteria after re-reading your post.

In addition to Wilmington, Jacksonville meets your criteria for population. You could also reside in areas outside of Jacksonville in Swansboro, Hubert, Holly Ridge, Sneads Ferry, or Richlands and still get your clientele from Jacksonville.

The city of New Bern fits all of your criteria outside of population, unless you factor in the surrounding areas. It's micropolitan area is over 100K, while the city itself is about 30K. As it's the largest city in it's immediate vicinity most other towns in Craven, Pamlico, and Jones county tend to do business in New Bern. New Bern, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greenville also fits your criteria. Specifically the neighboring town of winterville which literally runs into Greenvile is where I would seek housing. Greenville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winterville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Morehead City fits all of your criteria with the exception of population, but if you take the population of Carteret County, in addition to Havelock, you'll have the necessary clientele base. Morehead City, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Craven and Carteret are counties which have one city where most of the retail and services are centered where everyone else in the county (and the neighboring counties) goes. Morehead City is the retail/business center for Carteret County. New Bern is the retail/business center for Craven County. The entire county population should be considered when looking at these areas for business.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
Moderator Note:

I am moving this to Coastal forum from what I gather you want to be near Coast
and recommendations are in this area send me direct message if you want this
thread moved back to the state forum

All the best
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM

713 posts, read 3,474,018 times
Smile Try living on the Crystal Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcurry View Post

Thanks for any and all help provided.
If you live between Swansboro and Beaufort, you could easily work in New Bern. Morehead City or Jacksonville. Mostly this is a small town area, but that is one of the reasons we all love it. It is very conservative. We're Presbyterian, but there is no shortage of Baptist and Methodist churches.

I don't know what size area you want, but Carteret County has about 65,000 year round residents. Jacksonville has about 80,000 people. New Bern has close to 30,000 people. Morehead City is in the ball park of 10,000 people.

This map will help you get oriented.

Between Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link) and Swansboro there is plenty of historical significance. Beaufort is just a wonderful place to soak up some history. We love going to the Maritime Museum there. Fort Macon is one my favorite spots near Morehead City. Then there is Tryon Palace in New Bern. There is a home in Swansboro that dates to the 1770s and of course there are plenty of old buildings all over Beaufort and especially at the Beaufort Historical Site.

Of course living on the Crystal Coast means that you have the 158,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest on one side and 50+ miles of the Cape Lookout National Seashore on the other side. There are plenty of trails to hike and wonderful beaches to visit. We also have some of the best water access that can be found. There is plenty of water to enjoy.

You can find out out lots more information and see plenty of photos at my Crystal Coast site.

There are plenty of homes on the market so finding what you want in size should not be too much of a problem.

Before you make a decision on where to move on the coast, make sure you visit the Crystal Coast. The beach is rarely more than eight to ten miles away.

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-02-2010 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: missed a word

Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 56,680 times
Why not consider Johnston County, NC?
Its about +/- 2 hours from some of the really good (family) beaches; its close to the state capital and colleges; and has an active Home School group. Also you are only about an 8 hour drive back to AL for visits etc. You never really said in your initial post why you are looking to relocate. I would think that motivation would be the main driver in determining where you might live.
Anyway, Godspeed!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 PM

20 posts, read 52,723 times
Having lived in Eastern NC my whole life, I would have to agree with the responses from both: macjr82 and dsobotta. I guess a lot of your decision really needs to be based on what is most important to you about the place you want to live. You mentioned home sizes from 2500-3500 square feet. I assume home prices, taxes, hazard insurance, etc would factor into your decision as well. From my experience, the more coastal you go (closer to the coast you get) the more all of those prices increase. If you give me a litte more info about what you are looking for in regards to the type of housing you prefer (new construction, fixer uppers, city limits, outside city limits, etc.) I can give you a little more advice. A lot of the areas the above posts mention are very similiar in regards to what is offered in each city / town or whatever you wish to call them. Wherever you choose, you will make a good decision, just make it an educated one. That's why you asked...right?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 48,193 times
Yeah, you may want to back in to your answer based on business, clients, home size to cost, etc. Not sure what a 3500 sq ft house costs there, but that is going to be very expensive depending on how close you are to the coast.

What popped in my head was Hampstead, NC. It is about 20 minutes above Wimington, so you could get the population. Hampstead is a huge mix right now of transplants, mainly from the north, and the old regime. So a varying area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina