Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

BacktoMaine2012.
Is there anyway you can take a few day trips or spend a few weekends in the New Bern and Crystal Coast areas? Both are different and a day or two in both should give you a clear picture of like or dislike.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 AM

20 posts, read 42,100 times
Default relo

New Bern is a wonderful town with quite of bit of history and excellent park on the Neuse. Some of the restaurants worth visiting are Chelseas, Morgans, Harvey Mansion early bird and the new cafe in the rear of the new meseum for luncheon and a water view. That being said the 1 downer here is having the right medical coverage. I have met many folks who choose this area as their new home but must travel afar for medical test and treatment.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM

20 posts, read 42,100 times
Default Back to Maine 2012

New Bern is a river town. The coast is at least thirty mile further east and can be reached going through Morehead City over the bridge to Atlantic Beach.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
New Bern is terrible. I relocated from NY last year and the place could not be more depressing. i love small quiet towns, I spent many weekends and vacations in upstate NY and Michigan, and I can tell you the life in those places is a thousand times better. New Bern is way too hot, way too muggy (you feel like you're in a swamp) way too ugly. The water in Craven County is so poor (tap water0 that eating out is disgusting because everything from food to drink doesn't taste right.

I feel trapped there. I leave town on weekends so I don't have to be there. I love my job but if I could relocate I would be out of town before my boss could get the word "yes" out of his mouth.

I don't feel I live there, I feel like I'm stationed there. I have tried everything to try and warm up to the town and it doesn't work. As I write this, I'm in Mecosta Michigan and dreading going back there later today

Old 09-19-2011, 03:59 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBound2012 View Post
I know my name says differently...

we are in the Raleigh area now and have been for a little over 2 years. Its not what I expected..its not terrible, but it is too overpopulated for my tastes for one. I also am from New England and miss the coastline, so being 2 hours away from it is a drawback.

My husband's company has a branch in New Bern so a transfer is very possible.

Has anyone lived in Raleigh area then moved to New Bern that can offer any insight?

There are plenty of transplants in this area, are there just as many in your area? Is it easy to make friends with your neighbors?

My husband says he will never go back to the northeast to shovel snow, so I am looking to different areas. Went to Wilmington for visit, it was nice, but not sure that was the right fit either.
Hello fellow New Englander. I live in VA but got a buddy who lives in New Bern so I go there. Not a whole lot going on down there, BUT there's still Dunks....so you got that! Moorehead City seems to have slightly more transplants than New Bern thanks to the Military. But either way it's the boonies.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyamihere View Post
New Bern is terrible. I relocated from NY last year and the place could not be more depressing. i love small quiet towns, I spent many weekends and vacations in upstate NY and Michigan, and I can tell you the life in those places is a thousand times better. New Bern is way too hot, way too muggy (you feel like you're in a swamp) way too ugly. The water in Craven County is so poor (tap water0 that eating out is disgusting because everything from food to drink doesn't taste right.

I feel trapped there. I leave town on weekends so I don't have to be there. I love my job but if I could relocate I would be out of town before my boss could get the word "yes" out of his mouth.

I don't feel I live there, I feel like I'm stationed there. I have tried everything to try and warm up to the town and it doesn't work. As I write this, I'm in Mecosta Michigan and dreading going back there later today
I could not have said it any better myself. New Bern is a terrible place to live in general unless you are 70 plus years old. It is very DEPRESSING. You hit the nail on the head when you said it is UGLY. You could have added run-down to the list. I am all for historic places (Charleston, Williamsburg) but the only thing historic here are the citizens!!!

Beachbound---are you still wanting to move here to NB? After four depressing years I can barely tolerate another wasted day. Would you be willing to do a "housing swap"? PM me if you are interesed.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Saying that the school system sucks is pure FUD. The Craven County School System is one of the top rated school systems in the state.

You must be confused with Chapel Hill/Cary schools. NBHS school curriculum doesn't even compare to Orange/Wake. If you are wanting quality PUBLIC schools, avoid Eastern NC schools in general.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I had to laugh at your comment about historic being the citizens. We had considered relocating there and I spent a short weekend visiting family that lives in Pollocksville and they took me to New Bern - while pretty, I realized it's not for us. Different strokes for different folks though, guess it depends on what you're looking for (if it's shopping, restaurants, night life, etc. this isn't it - if it's quiet, nothing/not much open Sundays - then maybe it is for you)

Old 09-20-2011, 05:06 PM

279 posts, read 702,307 times
No, we are leaning more towards Wilmington area instead.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBound2012 View Post
No, we are leaning more towards Wilmington area instead.
Can't say I blame you. That is the best region to live if you want to relocate to coastal NC. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina