U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 29,999 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a beach house. We have four boys under the age of 8 so we are looking to have activities, ie. golf, tennis, boating, etc. but not be in a myrtle beach type of area. We would like to walk to the beach if at all possible. We are in the price range of 300-400. Does anyone know of a quaint and attractive area that fits this description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,357,669 times
I do-Several choices in the Crystal Coast area that have golf, tennis, boating and walk-able to the beach for under $400K.
Shoot me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send you everything that is on the market that falls within those parameters.
Take Care,
Bill

Old 07-01-2007, 08:28 AM

713 posts, read 3,472,990 times
Smile You might want to investigate the Emerald Isle area

Quote:
Originally Posted by headscarolina View Post
We are looking for a beach house. We have four boys under the age of 8 so we are looking to have activities, ie. golf, tennis, boating, etc. but not be in a myrtle beach type of area. We would like to walk to the beach if at all possible. We are in the price range of 300-400. Does anyone know of a quaint and attractive area that fits this description?
We moved to the area last fall and live on the shore side in Cape Carteret.

There are homes in your range over at the beach at Emerald Isle.

If you want some general information on area, you can visit my two sites, Southern Outer Banks or Enjoying the Coast.

There are a couple of golf courses in the area, plenty of boating, and some neat family oriented events like the Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day Festival and The Emerald Isle Christmas Parade which was very kid friendly.

There are lots of other festivals. If you have any questions on the area, I'll be glad to answer them. We live less than ten minutes from the beaches.

I just posted some pictures I took of a boating trip we took from the White Oak River through Bogue Sound to Shackleford banks.

You can also check out my diary of the first year in the area at my Coastal NC Blog.

Good luck finding the right spot. We have found the Crystal Coast to be a very friendly and welcoming area. There are a wide variety of places each with a little different flavor.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 13,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headscarolina View Post
I know of several houses in your price range if you are up for a 4X4 area. Try Twiddy.com and search 4X4 single family homes.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM

210 posts, read 675,895 times
Thank you for your feedback. I went to visit Emerald Isle after reading your posts. Very nice. I will also look up twiddy.com. Is there anything like a Kiawah Island in NC that is perhaps not so pricey? Thank you once again.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 PM

210 posts, read 675,895 times
I went to Twiddy.com. I bet the 4x4 beaches are beautiful. I just shared the 4x4 information with my husband, and as much as it sounds neat, I just don't think we are in that mode at the moment. I did notice Duck, NC on your site. How would you describe Duck? Family friendly? I'll have to go back and read more. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:57 PM

Smile You might look at Bald Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinginRaleigh View Post
Thank you for your feedback. I went to visit Emerald Isle after reading your posts. Very nice. I will also look up twiddy.com. Is there anything like a Kiawah Island in NC that is perhaps not so pricey? Thank you once again.
You might try Bald Head Island, It is on the expensive side these days, and I don't know how it compares to to Kiawah. Bald Head is only accessible by Ferry.

Last edited by dsobotta; 08-15-2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: left out a letter

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Smile Northern Outer Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinginRaleigh View Post
I went to Twiddy.com. I bet the 4x4 beaches are beautiful. I just shared the 4x4 information with my husband, and as much as it sounds neat, I just don't think we are in that mode at the moment. I did notice Duck, NC on your site. How would you describe Duck? Family friendly? I'll have to go back and read more. Thanks.
You will find some lovely areas on the Northern Outer Banks, they are very crowded most of the summer, but the crowds thin somewhat in the fall.The roads are only two lanes, and I have seen it a challenge to make a left turn in Duck.

One of my favorite areas is/was Corolla. It is south of the four wheel drive beaches. It has some of the nicest beaches around except for the ones on Ocracoke.

To answer you question about Duck (and we have not been in a few years), Duck has a few cute shopping areas, some nice places to stay, and a few eating spots. It doesn't really feel like a town to me since it is stretched out.

I personally like Beaufort much more as a town.

One of the places that I have alway enjoyed staying near Duck is the Sanderling Inn. I haven't stayed there in several years but it used to be a wonderful place.

Hope all that helps,

David Sobotta

Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 AM

906 posts, read 2,126,936 times
We are in the process of buying a house on Emerald Isle--supposed to close on the 24th with any luck! Anyway, we looked at Topsail Island and Emerald Isle and were in the same price range as you. Not a TON of stuff on the market in that price range, but still quite a few. Some needed a lot of work though, which you really need to factor in. How much can you do yourself, are you wanting to rent it, etc.

I should mention that the properties we looked at all had an ocean view (some better than others) and were at most 4 rows back--very easy walk to the beach. We wanted decent rental potential out of it, but there were other nice houses in that range that were also close to the beach, just not quite as convenient. I also didn't want to be on the main road so that eliminated some choices.

Topsail was definitely cheaper than Emerald Isle but didn't have quite as much to do. We would have most likely ended up in Topsail because of our price range, but we lucked out with the property in Emerald Isle and couldn't pass it up. Topsail might be too 'slow' for some families but we really liked it a lot. It felt more like a small town than a tourist area.

We worked with a great agent on Topsail, Michael Nelson with A Beach Place Realty. He was understood where we were at price wise (bottom of the market for single family) and didn't push us to go higher. I highly recommend him. He was very knowledgable on construction and repairs that may need to be made and if he didn't know for sure, he had people in his office that could answer.

Good luck with your beach house shopping! :-D

Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 PM

419 posts, read 1,242,765 times
Try looking at Sunset Beach or Ocean Isle Beach. There are about a dozen golf courses within five miles of each town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or