Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 PM

245 posts, read 765,362 times

Advertisements

The Hwy. 17 bridge over the White Oak river is closed for repairs. Traffic is being rerouted on side roads. The bridge may reopen Saturday afternoon... or not. Your guess is as good as mine.

Portion of U.S. 17 closed due to river flooding | river, bridge, closed - News - ENCToday (http://www.enctoday.com/news/river-83232-jdn-bridge-closed.html - broken link)

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 10-01-2010 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Might work for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickering View Post
dsobotta,

is that a crawfish trap hanging off you pier piling?
We use it for catching small live bait when our cast net aim can't be trusted. Never caught anything in it but small fish.

Last edited by dsobotta; 10-01-2010 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: left out space

Old 10-01-2010, 09:19 PM

35 posts, read 89,789 times
Wow, those are some pretty impressive pics! I just talked to my daughter in New Bern a couple of hours ago and she said she hadn't had too many problems but the road to her develpoment was flooded over for a while; but has receeded now.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 AM

77 posts, read 238,159 times
Oh my gosh...I'm just now seeing this. Very glad to see you the tide went out and you came thru the storm alright. How scary! Hopefully the sun will come out soon.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
When they built the two Highway 24 bridges at Swansboro, it constricted the flow of the White Oak.
I'd agree with 100% if you were talking about the Gale & Broad Creek Bridges on HWY. 24. I lived on the mouth of Gales Creek when then made the new bridges and watched as the enclosed the area to shorten the bridge length.
But If you do a little digging you'll discover that the course of the White Oak River has been altered. It's one of the reasons for the Bogue Inlet battle.
In fact-If Bogue Inlet was left alone to work as God, not man has designed it (It's an outlet not an inlet) then proper drainage of the White Oak would occur.
Look at the difference in Bogue Inlet in leass than 7 years. It is always migrating. The mouth will always work east towards Emerald isle until it becomes inefficient and busts through due south. This is an ongoing process. Man's attempts to stop it are basically futile and its one of the causes that restricts the White Oak River outflow.
http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/nav/JPG/bogue-inlet_2001_06_30.jpg (broken link)

http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/nav/JPG/bogue_inlet_2008_04_30.jpg (broken link)

I produced a video years back about beach renourishment. In it were aerial pictures of Bogue Inlet dating back to the 1920's. Sure wish I still had those.
Bill

Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Automated gauges are notorious for being inaccurate, sometimes wildly. Pick up a extremely accurate Cocorahs manual gauge (NWS approved) from WeatherYourWay store.

If you're into weather you might consider joining Cocorahs. It is a NON PROFIT organization that collects primarly rainfall data from volunteers like you and me. They have many, many volunteers from all 50 states. It takes 2 minutes every morning. They prefer the rainfall measurements to be taken at 7:00 but you can take them at just about any time in the morning 7 (ie: 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9). You do buy your own gauge and use of the gauge I linked to above is required. The data we collect is used by universities, colleges, the NWS and tons of other people.

CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network
Thanks for the link, may get one of those gauges just to see how accurate mine is since it is supposed to be very accurate. May even join the group. I had a Oregon Scientific one and it was very inaccurate.

Last edited by trlhiker; 10-02-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina