U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 13,285 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be moving to NC and working in Tarboro in the next month. I have lived in the Midwest my whole life and like the outdoors (mountain biking, walking, running, taking my 50lb golden retriever outside, boating, the water, auto racing, ATVing, etc). I'm also used to low crime rates. I'm 30, single, and finished college a while ago.

What would be a good place to locate to around or in Tarboro? I have an ATV and would like to go ATVing, get involved in auto racing (VIR maybe, anywhere else?), and be outside doing the activities mentioned above.

I'm looking at Zebulon (be closer to Raleigh and I have a friend there) and Greenville.

Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 AM

19,539 posts, read 17,784,286 times
Try Rocky Mount but be careful where you buy. Back in 1999 Hurricane Floyd devastated much of that area with extreme flooding in other words, make sure you buy on high ground. As for the activities you seek, Raleigh has most of those things. Not sure about ATV's since I am not into it.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Try Rocky Mount but be careful where you buy. Back in 1999 Hurricane Floyd devastated much of that area with extreme flooding in other words, make sure you buy on high ground. As for the activities you seek, Raleigh has most of those things. Not sure about ATV's since I am not into it.

Devastated Rocky Mount or the the whole east coast (greenville, zebulon, etc)?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,283 times
Floyd was rough on all of Eastern NC. Princeville, the town across the Tar River from Tarboro, had devastating flooding.

Most areas, however, are developed outside of the flood plain. Floyd clearly delineated the flood-prone areas.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
I would either look at Raleigh area or Greenville area. Especially since you're single

Old 10-10-2010, 06:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,828,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I would either look at Raleigh area or Greenville area. Especially since you're single

I'd look at Greenville. Raleigh is too far for a daily commute. Greenville is less than 30 min straight shot down 33 or 13. Look at Greenville or somewhere between Greenville and Tarboro along those HWYs. If you won't to be close to Raleigh I'd look no farther west than Nashville. That will still put you about 45 min or less from Raleigh but only a 30 min or less commute to Tarboro. A lot less going on day-to-day in Nashville than Greenville, though. Nashville crime is below national average and violent crime is almost non-existent. Small town but it has a Walmart. Greenville's crime is well above the national average, but fairly easy to avoid. Mostly crimnals preying on criminals and poor preying on poor.

Last edited by macjr82; 10-10-2010 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'd look at Greenville. Raleigh is too far for a daily commute. Greenville is less than 30 min straight shot down 33 or 13. Look at Greenville or somewhere between Greenville and Tarboro along those HWYs. If you won't to be close to Raleigh I'd look no farther west than Nashville. That will still put you about 45 min or less from Raleigh but only a 30 min or less commute to Tarboro. A lot less going on day-to-day in Nashville than Greenville, though. Nashville crime is below national average and violent crime is almost non-existent. Small town but it has a Walmart. Greenville's crime is well above the national average, but fairly easy to avoid. Mostly crimnals preying on criminals and poor preying on poor.
Eastern edge of Raleigh is around an hour trip one way. But Greenville is definitely closer. You could live on the north or west side of Greenville and take either 11 to 64 or 33 to get there. Good luck

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 52,737 times
I agree with MrBojangles. Having lived in the Greenville area for a long time, we can tell you just about anything you wish to know about the area.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM

I'm starting to focus my efforts on Greenville. What parts are good for a young professional and what parts to stay away from? I don't want to be woken up at 2am for college parties or have my stuff stolen.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:38 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,283 times
Depends on what you are looking for in a home - do you want to live outside the city or inside? Do you want a large yard or just need an apartment?

Greenville has some tough areas but most areas just outside of town are safe. If commuting to Tarboro, i'd stay on the west side of the city where I could get to Hwy 43 or Hwy 11 easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina