U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 PM

16 posts, read 77,475 times

Advertisements

There's a possibility that we may be moving to the Greenville area from Milwaukee, WI. We are a young family consisting of me, my husband, my 16 month old daughter and my 4 month old son.
If you could just tell me about the general feel of the city, crime, schools... just whatever you might have to offer would be great as I know nothing about the area. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,208,481 times
My brother lives in Greenville and loves it. The people are nice, the pace is slower than the Midwest, and prices are reasonable for food, clothes, and housing. The local university, Eastern Carolina University, has a beautiful campus and tuition is a bargain compared to what we've paid here. Housing is affordable and crime has not been an issue for him. The barbeque there is incredible as is the climate. Of all the places my brother has lived, this is by far the very best. I think you'll love it there, I do.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 PM

451 posts, read 1,715,648 times
Greenville is lacking in cultural activities, but does have an active charitable community and of course is very supportive of ECU football. Housing is inexpensive but crime is on the high side. Many of the nicer neighborhoods are just outside of the city limits. Winterville, a suburb, is a pretty good area that has a lot of sports activities for the kids.

Shopping has gotten better over the years, but the recession we're in has stalled or stopped several proposed developments. If/when we get out of this, I believe there will be a good amount of retail development in this area.

I like it ok here, some love it, and some think it doesn't have enough amenities. Beaches arent too far, and there are some nice historic towns to visit in eastern NC.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 77,475 times
It's interesting to hear about the suburb of Winterville. I never really thought about the possibility of living just outside of Greenville (which is where my husband would be working). Can you recommend any other suburbs that aren't too far into no-mans land that I can look into? I'm not really a small town kind of girl so I wouldn't want to live too far from where the "action" is. lol Thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,176,645 times
We lived in Greenville from mid-2005 to late 2009. I liked it well enough; my wife didn't care for it. It was too small of a city for her.

We lived in the Eastern Pines area, just southest of the city a few miles. We both loved that area. Very quiet, very little crime.

Schools can be a challenge. Redistricting happens every couple of years, so it's hard to know where your kids will be going to school. We chose to send out daughter to private school while we lived there.

Don't expect much "action" in Greenville...though that all depends on what you're used to.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,855,859 times
I went there several times while my kid was in school at east carolina. First of all like most college towns the major industry is "making money off of the college kids" The population is sharply divided between the locals and the college kids with money. Anything the college kids may need including food is priced high.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 PM

151 posts, read 312,751 times
While your kids are young, it's probably fine that there isn't much to do because you'll be so busy anyway! It is pretty family-friendly so I think you'll find other moms with young children, which will be nice. If your or your husband's job will set you up with a realtor, I'd do a little tour of the areas. They'll push you to buy, but consider renting for a bit to get your bearings.

Last edited by boringmember; 10-20-2010 at 11:49 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 AM

2,158 posts, read 5,166,122 times
I don't see the major industry being "making money off of college kids" as being true. There are 2 main industries. East Carolina University and the huge medical community. DSM Pharmaceuticals also is a large employer.

Aside from that I agree with pretty much everything that everybody said.

You asked about suburbs outside of Greenville. Like Lithuania said, Winterville is nice but is more of a blue collar type of place. Eastern Pines is actually in Greenville now. There is a whole lot of middle class subdivisions there. Simpson has some subdivisons and is just down the street from Greenville.

Ayden is a 10 minute ride down Memorial (NC 11) from Greenville. There are a couple of small subdivisions there. Ayden is still seriously "Old" Pitt County. The schools in Ayden are marginal at best. If you want to be rural but still within 10 minutes of everything Greenville has then Ayden would be a good choice.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 AM

451 posts, read 1,715,648 times
All good posts on here. This is still a "small town" area. Compared to most of Eastern NC, however, Greenville is the "big city". As Richard Martin says, the hospital and medical community is large here. I think the hospital is the driving economic force around here, even more than ECU. The hospital campus will look much different in the next couple of years.

There is an active social/party scene downtown...just don't expect much in the way of concerts and plays around here. You have to go to Raleigh, which isn't too far, to get that type of thing.

Winterville is very close to Greenville - matter of fact, their borders touch each other in several places. Winterville is mostly subdivisions with a small downtown, but crime seems to be lower. Not much retail but there is a Sams Club and a couple grocery stores.

I like the Eastern Pines area of Greenville - lower crime and a lot of nice subdivisions.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM

228 posts, read 530,311 times
I have lived in the area for five years now. I am a single, professional, bordering on middle age adult male. For me, Greenville, has been a challenging place in which to live. I am connected to the university, so, within that setting there ARE activities, plays, concerts, etc. There ARE things to do.

And, I am involved in the youth sports community in town and there ARE HEAPS of youth sports activities available. When your kids are a little older, you will be running around trying to keep up with their schedule. And, that will be fun...wish I had that problem.:-)

If you like eating out, Greenville has heaps of restaurants of all types. Check with the locals...there are some real gems that are not chain restaurants. Shopping is limited and the mall is tiny and limited.

Downtown Greenville for the most part is clubs catering to the college kids, most of which I would not set foot in. The clubs also tend to attract issues, crime, etc. I would not be sad to see them leveled. But, that is me.

Historically, West Greenville, is seen as the center of crime in town and many people avoid it. And, in general, downtown Greenville is not a place you want to be late at night.

I am a runner and cyclist and we have a small greenway and they are working on expanding it. It is just challenging because it crosses major roads in places and a number of the bike lanes in town disappear in awkward places. While there is a healthy running and cycling community in the area, I would not call Greenville runner or biker friendly.

For more shopping opportunities you will want to head to Raleigh...it is not a bad drive. Atlantic Beach is not that far in the other direction. A few years ago, I just started heading to Virginia Beach for all of my shopping, entertainment, and beach needs. It is 2 hours and change away and has great amenities.

There is also an Amtrak station close by in Wilson (and Raleigh) and I have found fares to Florida for only 55.00 one way. So, you can go visit Mickey and friends as a family quite easily.

Cheers and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina