U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM

20 posts, read 98,057 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to NC from Colorado. I have been researching towns all over and I have stumbled upon Wilmington. Other than the size I seem to like everything about it; Coastal town, cultural and has a university. However I do have a few questions/concerns that I thought I could get answered here.

-Is Wilmington Dog friendly? Are there many dog parks or dog beaches and can you walk dogs in town on a leash?

-Is it a good place for a single person in there 20's. I do not go out to bars every night so I am hoping there are other ways to meet people.

-How is the rent? I would be looking to rent a small apartment/studio or even just a bed/bath in a home. The rent range that I would be looking for would be $400-600, is this a reasonable price range?

-Is it safe? I am coming from a town of less than 50,000 so I want to be sure that I move somewhere relatively safe compared to other big cities in the area.

Sorry there is so much, just doing my research
Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,055 times
There are plenty of dog parks and pathed parks to take your dogs. I have 2 pits and they have enjoyed the trails. One bedrooms will be easy to find in that price range, just depends on how fancy you want to go. Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM

24 posts, read 103,131 times
Is it as dangerous as it seems, I feel like I have read more threads about the high crime, is there any safe areas in the city, I do not plan on living downtown.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM

135 posts, read 569,511 times
-Is Wilmington Dog friendly? Are there many dog parks or dog beaches and can you walk dogs in town on a leash?

---There are leash laws everywhere, but there are some dog parks in the area. several people walk their dogs off their leash on wrightsville beach during the off season and this doesn't seem to be a problem. Wilmingtonians love their pets and there are always dogs being walked around downtown

-Is it a good place for a single person in there 20's. I do not go out to bars every night so I am hoping there are other ways to meet people.

---There's always something going on downtown. UNCW campus has a lot of grad students that are in their mid 20s and with many of the recent graduates staying in the area, there are always a lot of younger folks about. There are lots of organizations that you can get involved in and people here are typically really friendly so it's easy to strike up conversations while out at lunch or while sitting down at the waterfront in DT. That said, the bar/nightclub scene is always busy especially on weekends and things can, and frequently do, get out of hand. nearby military bases have their leave in wilmington, along with the influx of students from the colleges, and tourists is an...interesting... mix that has the police on guard frequently. That said, apart from a few impromptu mobs during major holidays (like this past halloween) things are, for the most part, under control.

-How is the rent? I would be looking to rent a small apartment/studio or even just a bed/bath in a home. The rent range that I would be looking for would be $400-600, is this a reasonable price range?

---Rent varies from anywhere in the mid 300's to upper 800 for one bedrooms. It's always cheaper to rent a room than to get a separate single bedroom apt. When i rented a room it was closer to 400/mo w/o Utilities, i now live in a 1 bedroom apt and it's over 700/mo w/o utilities. Downtown varies on where you live but it's typically a bit higher for the nicer places, a friend of mine pays 450/mo and shares a 2bed/1bath with another girl.

-Is it safe? I am coming from a town of less than 50,000 so I want to be sure that I move somewhere relatively safe compared to other big cities in the area.

---I was really fearful when i moved down in June of 09 that my car/apt would be broken into, i would be mugged, or worse when i moved here. That hasn't happened...yet. There are several bad areas, and lots of bums, as well as a history of crime in the area. But as long as you're smart about things this isn't really a problem. doing simple things like locking doors, not walking alone, and simply just being observant of your surroundings usually deters anyone that would be after something from you. I moved into a first floor single apartment back in august and was fearful of things being stolen etc, but i've not had problems.

It's good to do your research!!! Wilmington has been a great place to live for me while i've been pursuing my master's degree. I'm not sure I would want to live here long-term because the summer tourists drive me crazy, but it's got a lot of positives. As much as I wouldn't want to live downtown because of the commute to campus, It's a great place to live and there are several historic homes that have been beautifully restored and preserved.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM

14 posts, read 48,171 times
Interesting you don't like the size.

Yes, very dog friendly, as in everyone has a dog here. Get a four wheel drive before you move. Then get a pass for Carolina Beach. During the summer, it is packed, but everyone has their dog out there and besides, it's the beach!

Can you meet people without bars. Yes, of course. The more active you are the better though. While we don't have tons of things to do, you can always take up surfing or volleyball. The beach is great. Besides, this is the South. People are friendly and inviting as long as you are too.

I would expect to be on the higher side of that range for a one bedroom apartment that is nice. If you can find a room mate needed, I'd try that first. Don't sign any long agreement and you can move out. Not sure if you are a guy or girl, but actually know someone looking for a roommate.

How safe is it? Answer this question: Would you walk down a dimly lit street where a group of people seem to be hanging out for no reason? There is definitely crime in the area. There are definitely areas that I would never walk through. However, I don't frequent those areas, so the crime doesn't seem that bad to me. There are the car break ins and some house break ins, but just check the areas first and you should be okay. Use common sense and you'll be okay 99.9% of the time.

One MAJOR area you didn't provide is a source of income. A decent income is hard to come by around here. Hope you have a special skill or something lined up. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina