Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,304 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Wilmington in January to continue my college education with two years left. I am taking my gf with me too, who will be working while I attend school, she may apply later, like this summer.

We plan on moving into a small house, townhome, or apartment (last resort.) Our parents want us to find out average monthly bill costs.

What are the average costs of water, electric, cable/tv/phone bills?
What other types of bills are there?

This will be our first time moving out the house. We are both 24. Any Help will appreciated, this is coming up so soon, i do not know much about this city or moving out the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM

135 posts, read 640,372 times
the costs vary depending on time of year, square footage, usage, etc of course, but typically, 9 mo or so out of the year, your electric (for a 1000sqft apt) will be at least 80/mo, in the hottest and coldest months it's more likely to be over 100/mo, depending on how cool/warm it is. The highest electric bill i've had was 120ish, during both july, august, and january. the thermostat was typically left at 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter.

internet in usually about 30-35/mo, cable ranges from 10-100s depending on what you want, no one i know has a phone line.

water bills come quarterly for me, and are typically no more than 20/mo, of course depending on your water usage.

for the larger apartment i lived in, it usually averaged around 120/mo for electric/water/internet. I now live in a smaller apartment, and it's usually more like 70-85/mo.

keep in mind that if you're renting there will be application fees etc, as well as fees to start up your utilities unless you have decent credit. When looking at places keep in mind parking, distance to school/work, availability of public transit, closeness to groceries etc and of course the neighborhood.

hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina