U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 AM
ECX ECX started this thread

71 posts, read 248,308 times

Advertisements

Well, here we are visiting Wilmington for relocation research. 1st day was interesting to say the least.

We are staying in Wrightsville Beach and its very nice here, the beach itself is great! Clean water nice sand, great sunrise.

Ventured out to look at some neighborhoods... I can say that I didnt expect quite the traffic issue that we experienced. I can only imagine what its like in the summer! We drove all around Mayfair and then down into Wilmington, somehow ended up in the Ghetto I guess near the Hospital, boarded up homes, looked like a few gangs milling around selling drugs on the corners...

Then we drove down to Carolina Beach and that was not nearly as congested.

I am not sure what I am looking for, maybe a few "established" neighborhoods like we have up north, but it seems like everything just has roads running through them. Unless its a gray "Edward Scissorhands" community where every home is identical in shape and color.

So far we are not feeling it... Going to drive up to Hampstead, Topsail and Surf City today, then back down to Leland. Hoping to find something...

Man, it is VERY hard to break from your "comfort zone" and open your mind to new possibilities when you have been in the same place for 39 years. I really hope we can do it!

I guess having a fixed price point for mortgage/rent makes it a bit harder. I am sure if I had 50 million it would be much easier to find a place to re-locate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 AM

784 posts, read 1,637,804 times
As an FYI.... we are going down next month to scout around too, we are going to the Southport / Oak Island area about 40 minutes south of Wilmington, quite a few different communities down there along the coast between Southport and the South Carolina border with varied price ranges..... and AWAY from what you just described in Wilmington.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,193,368 times
And just keep in the back of your head, that it can drastically change during the summer when tourist come into town

Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 PM

720 posts, read 1,487,404 times
Across the bridge on 17 there are some communities, such as Brunswick Plantation, and Waterford or Water-something that are nice. DH and I are planning to retire to the Oak Island/Southport area. I understand what you're saying about the established neighborhoods up north---we found those more inland in NC, when we were looking around the Charlotte area. Also up in the New Bern area.There was a neighborhood in Wilmington called Pinesomething, I remember that as being nice and settled. BUT we want to be near the ocean, and we like the ambiance in S/OI--been going there (from CT) since 1989.
St. James is gorgeous, check it out. Not in our budget, we're not golfers, so not for us. As Stonecreek67 said, lots to check out in Brunswick county. We've never found the traffic to be really awful, but then, we've driven I-95 through CT and NY (!!!!!!!!!)

Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 AM

195 posts, read 596,383 times
I love Wilmington with all of my heart and plan to move back there someday. That being said, it does have its share of short comings. Traffic is awful; wages don't match the cost of living; race seems to be an issue (which is annoying); and the public services like roads and schools are subpar. I would never live across the 17 bridge in Brunswick county because it basically take every reason for living there and sends it down the drain. Brunswick lacks any sort culture and is more or less a prefab wasteland in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:36 AM

720 posts, read 1,487,404 times
It's true that Brunswick county doesn't have the history of Wilmington, or the nightlife, or the UNC activities.And I'm not a resident, so only know what I've seen on visits and read in the paper.
But there is an active arts community around Southport and lots of ways to get involved and meet people, plus easy access to the water, fishing, kayaking, etc. I guess it's all in what level and type of activities you're looking for, as a "golden oldie" it feels right for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina