Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM

55 posts, read 122,385 times

Advertisements

i'm 24, graduating as a CMA next year, & considering moving elsewhere for work (currently in lynchburg, virginia & have been for 5 years.. originally from mississippi). i was wondering if anyone could throw out some suggestions (since i've only once driven down the carolina coast a ways to get to pawleys island) of a place or two that's generally low in crime, decent cost of living, & decent job opportunities. also, since all of my family lives hundreds of miles away, a fairly major airport nearby would be a huge perk. thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 02:48 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Umm.....well the only "major airport" on the coast is in Wilmington. They have a level 2 trauma hospital there, which would help your cause. But from what I've gathered, low on crime (depending on who you ask) and COL will factor in against that. Plus, I think you move there after you find a job.

You do know that Pawley's Island is in South Carolina, while we're in North Carolina. And not to jab at you, but I have a pet peeve about being called the "Carolinas" or Carolina coast. We're North Carolina, NOT South Carolina. Two different state of minds

Old 11-21-2010, 02:51 PM

55 posts, read 122,385 times
thanks, mr. bojangles. & yes, i do know i went to pawleys island, south carolina lol. i was inferring that i drove through coastal NORTH carolina to get to pawleys island in SOUTH carolina. i'm soley asking about north carolina in my OP. sorry to rile up a pet peeve.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:55 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calamityroad View Post
thanks, mr. bojangles. & yes, i do know i went to pawleys island, south carolina lol. i was inferring that i drove through coastal NORTH carolina to get to pawleys island in SOUTH carolina. i'm soley asking about north carolina in my OP. sorry to rile up a pet peeve.
No worries Good luck with everything!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM

107 posts, read 257,015 times
Checkout Jacksonville NC....Great economy for your type of work...

Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Morehead City or Beaufort might suit you. There is a hospital in Morehead City--Carteret General--and a growing number of physicians. MC is just a hop across a bridge to reach bountiful beaches.

New Bern is another cool town, has a hospital and lots of doctors...about an hour from the beach, though. It's on a sound and river, so New Bern is not completely dry!

The closest airport to these three towns is just outside of New Bern. It connects to Charlotte and Atlanta for flights to anywhere, pretty much.

'Course, if you had your own plane, you could use the little private airport in Beaufort...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:14 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Greenville is another option. Some say it has a crime problem but that holds true for way too many cities here in the East. I do read the papers from around the state and nation and the media in Greenville seems to sensationalize the crime way more than other places. Making the public more aware of a problem can cause the problem to appear to be worse in one area from say, an area that never mentions their crimes as headline news. Greenville's COL is way lower than where you're coming from. It has huge medical facilities, the largest in the East and is growing larger by the day.

Salt water is a half hour drive to Washington. The Outer Banks are a 2 hour drive. The Crystal Coast is 1.5 hours. Raleigh is 1.5 hours. Obviously Greenville is centrally located.

Greenville does have a 727 certified airport but there are mostly only commuter flights for now. Pitt-Greenville Airport keeps setting passenger records almost by the month now so the day when it is expanded to a true large airport must be approaching. RDU airport is certified for everything and is a 1.5 hour drive.

Outside of Wilmington Greenville also has the largest shopping. Almost all of the major retailers are already here. The shopping ranges from upscale to low end and everything in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina