U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:05 PM

3,324 posts, read 5,210,731 times

Advertisements

Obviously the title is TIC.

Does anyone else think WITN uses pathos too much with their writing? All of their crap outside of the weather and few other topics are overblown.

We have the current article "FBI: Threatening Letter, Powder Found At 'Dancing With The Stars' Studio" with nothing to do with ENC.

"Ohio Man Allowed Wife To Be Eaten Alive By Maggots" sensationalized title with zero connection with NC.

"The Face Of A Suspected Cop Shooter" - WRAL has a similar article named "Suspects in cop shooting were wanted in Pennsylvania". Which one is more sensational?

There are other instances. But this is something that has bothered me for a while and I needed to vent. There is enough going on in Eastern NC. No need to grab "crazy" headlines from other parts of the country. They do a crappy enough job covering everything here. If it wasn't for ECU making them the official station of the Pirates, I am not sure where they would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:53 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,373,065 times
Local television production is very expensive. So its kept at a minimum. All of the other "stuff" comes from the network. It saves the local affiliate money and helps to paint the local affiliate as a big important entity.
Local production makes a station look local and sometimes even amaturish-Something a local station wants to avoid. Good production equipment and production people qualified to bring a constant "A" game doesn't come cheap.
Besides-TV News has always had the philosophy of if it bleeds it leads. Forget quality-Just get the story on air before the next guy.
Bill

Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 AM
LLN

4,987 posts, read 8,791,885 times
Don't know about sensational, but they seem to go after folks that lack the ability to enunciate. At least they are very consistent.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Local television production is very expensive. So its kept at a minimum. All of the other "stuff" comes from the network. It saves the local affiliate money and helps to paint the local affiliate as a big important entity.
Local production makes a station look local and sometimes even amaturish-Something a local station wants to avoid. Good production equipment and production people qualified to bring a constant "A" game doesn't come cheap.
Besides-TV News has always had the philosophy of if it bleeds it leads. Forget quality-Just get the story on air before the next guy.
Bill
That is true. It just seems...sad when I am able to find good stories online at the source, and but they are more "concerned" about what some couple did in Ohio. By having that story online, it paints the picture that everything is going to hell. Which it isn't. I guess I hoped for more. As much as it pains me to say, I wish they would take a few pages from the WRAL playbook.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,373,065 times
I wish they would take a few pages from the WRAL playbook.
WRAL (capital broadcasting) is a big player in the TV industry. It was the first station to broadcast digitally in the US. Out of 210 television markets in the US-Raleigh is the 25th largest in size. WITN is in the 103 market.
Big difference in market so big difference in budget.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM

19,675 posts, read 17,887,379 times
I only watch WCTI. I have tried the other two but don't like their anchors or their drab studio.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,653,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Don't know about sensational, but they seem to go after folks that lack the ability to enunciate. At least they are very consistent.
It looks like they got their newer weekend sports guy to clean himself up a little at least. Big redhead dude was sporting rather gnarly facial hair a while back and he looked a bit clownish. Then there's that new lady with the lazy eye. I'm all for breaking down the psychologically oppressive and impossible standards of beauty the advertising industry has forced on us, but when your news cast is as amateur hour as they look, not a good thing.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
I wish they would take a few pages from the WRAL playbook.
WRAL (capital broadcasting) is a big player in the TV industry. It was the first station to broadcast digitally in the US. Out of 210 television markets in the US-Raleigh is the 25th largest in size. WITN is in the 103 market.
Big difference in market so big difference in budget.
Very true. But it is a lot easier to copy another company success, as opposed to fund the research to become good. I like the newsroom in the background of WRAL, as opposed to the cheesy background for WITN. They need to have their news studio overlooking the Tar River if they want to stay in Washington. It would be much better as well. Plus your secondary location (in Greenville) shouldn't be part of a strip mall chain anchored by an ABC store.....oh well..

If I was WITN, I would buy a place in uptown Greenville. These are the types of businesses Greenville needs uptown.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 AM

2,083 posts, read 5,062,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If I was WITN, I would buy a place in uptown Greenville. These are the types of businesses Greenville needs uptown.
WITN already owns real estate in Greenville. They purchased the site of the former movie theater next to their current "studios" on Arlington (which are next to the liquor store). They've had a sign there for a while announcing their new studios will be built there but the paint on the sign is starting to get old and faded.

The local stations in the Greenville area love to sensationalize and lead every news broadcast with crime. It kinda makes me ill just to try to watch the local broadcasts. The really cheesy locally produced commercials and poor news productions make every broadcast a third rate and painful TV experience. I've gone to a good bit of trouble to be able to watch the Raleigh stations as much as possible.

Even when there isn't a jaywalking incident to report on they go out of their way (seemingly) to find crimes from other areas to report on. And this is exactly what you're talking about. There is no reason for it and it makes the crime in this area seem a whole lot worse than it really is.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM

It seems like that sign has been there for five years. And it is "good" they are moving to their own building, but geeze a little imagination on their part. That is a crappy location. Who cares about the "traffic camera" on Arlington. It would send a better message and be a lot better to have it downtown. Come up with some deal with ECU or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina