U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 11:53 AM

167 posts, read 313,078 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering applying for a couple faculty positions at ECU, and would like info about the area. Would be moving from eastern VA (Hampton Roads area) if offered a position either teaching Spanish or as an academic counselor there. Need info on area housing in a safe, decent, affordable area comparable to what I have here (1250 sf, 2 BR/2BA townhouse); also willing to consider a small house with a garage and a small yard (ideal) depending on salary there and prices. Any/all area info would be helpful. Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,381 times
While the Greenville area lacks amenities like what a larger metro area can offer, you will find housing much cheaper than Hampton Roads. You'll find plenty of options less than 150k that will meet your housing needs. 150k will definitely get you a detached house with a small garage around here.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM

OK - can you give any info on specific areas where I should concentrate looking?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,381 times
If I were newly moving to the area, I would stick to the Winterville/Firetower Road area, or Eastern Pines area.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM

228 posts, read 521,156 times
Hello, this is ironic as I am trying to make the opposite move...am in the midst of a selective search. Hoping to get a position at ODU, CNU, Regent, etc.

But, I have four and a half years of familiarity with ECU and Greenville. So, I think I can help. And, if I don't find what I am looking for, we may just work together. :-)

But, if you are looking for a town home, I highly recommend Dudley's Grant off of Firetower Road. It is a quiet community of young professionals and families, has a wide variety of layouts, and you could get a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath for close to 100K or under. It is close to one of the two movie theaters in town and the Courtside Athletic Club is not that far from you. Across the street is the Lynndale neighborhood...the homes closest to Firetower, right across from Dudley's Grant would start in your price range, too. Also, Lynndale is great to run in, ride bikes, etc.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, please write.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks Running - how ironic and funny you want to move here and I'm trying to leave! This area is definitely more pricey than what I've been seeing around Greenville on the web, and personally I'd try teaching at ODU I think versus CNU (just my impressions/opinions). Good luck in finding something in this area - what do you teach there? any other area info you could give would be great, especially about the university.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM

228 posts, read 521,156 times
Hello! I actually toured ODU's campus on Sunday. :-) It is my first choice, but, as my personal life is drawing me to the area, I am open to possibilities...we shall see.

I am actually a Hall Coordinator. I live with 430 first year college students. :-) But, I also teach a first year course called COAD 1000; it is an intro to college course with an emphasis on university involvement, improving study skills, clarifying values, etc.

But, the university has been good to me. Greenville is a small, but diverse town. The university is certainly the cultural center of town and there is a strong town/gown relationship. The folks around here do love their Pirates.

The campus is small for a school this size. With the exception of 10th street cutting it in two, it is easy to get around. The students are either from the region or the north, it seems. The faculty and staff here are friendly, the ones that I know.

If you can give me more specific areas you are interested in, I can fill you in further. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM

I just completed the Spanish application this morning so get to wait and see what may happen; need to complete the other one for the academic counseling vacancy tomorrow. Depending on what happens with those will determine coming down for a look see visit. As far as housing - as I mentioned I'd ideally like to find something similar to what I have here (at least 2 BR/2BA) and 1250 sf or more, or a small house with a garage. If you move up this way and are on the ODU side of the water good luck finding something housing wise here if you aren't living on campus as you do there... it will be more $$ here than there. I've heard the Ghent area of Norfolk is supposed to be good but don't know how their prices are; other areas there be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina