Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 PM

156 posts, read 918,659 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I finally sold the house here in LI and am planning on moving in Oct.. I am just taking a bunch of boxes a 3 peices of small furniture... I thought renting a pod would be a good choice, except the price was 3000.00!!!

I have no driver for a truck.. any sugesstions on moving companies..??? I am scared to death of them losing my stuff on a big truck, but I might have to go that route.. Any suggestions on a moving co. with a GREAT rep???

Thanks.. I am headed for Wilmington!!! YAY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,533,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
Hi guys,

I finally sold the house here in LI and am planning on moving in Oct.. I am just taking a bunch of boxes a 3 peices of small furniture... I thought renting a pod would be a good choice, except the price was 3000.00!!!

I have no driver for a truck.. any sugesstions on moving companies..??? I am scared to death of them losing my stuff on a big truck, but I might have to go that route.. Any suggestions on a moving co. with a GREAT rep???

Thanks.. I am headed for Wilmington!!! YAY!!!
I have to say 3000.00 is a good price. If you don't want to do the moving yourself. Your are better going with a bigger company that does more than one family. I too am moving and it is cheaper to use a bigger company than a smaller company. I will give you a couple but I have never used them but they are registered with BBB ( Better Business Bureau) Sasha Transport, Wheaton Van Lines moving company and Moving Inc. Please check out movingscam.com to read up on important stuff. I want to point out a few things for you never do a non binding contract because they can charge you more later. You want a binding contract so they can't over charge you. Also if you worried about your stuff make sure you asked for full coverage insurance. I know they can't replace your valuable stuff but at least you will get your full price back.

I hope this helps. If no luck with any of these movers. Look up bbb.org website to find more companies. Always make sure you get more than two bids with same weight estimate.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM

69 posts, read 453,065 times
I just went through the whole process of pricing moving companies for my move from Columbus, Ohio to Wilmington and I can help out a bit. I got a few estimates and then had a couple companies come out to the house. I decided to go with Atlas Van Lines. They were the most helpful and comparable in price to the other huge companies, but they took the most time to explain things to me and make sure I understood everything. I would just look up in your phone book to see if there is a division of Atlas Van Lines in your area and give them a call.

My move is happening August 14th so I will let you know how it goes! Good luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks both of you...

good info on the binding contract.. and ins... I am doing my homework and called mayflower for a quote and now I am going to look-up Atlas..

Thanks so much... It's just boxes and one bed..lol.. But I love all of It and have a budget... I will keep you posted!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 AM

122 posts, read 480,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
I just went through the whole process of pricing moving companies for my move from Columbus, Ohio to Wilmington and I can help out a bit. I got a few estimates and then had a couple companies come out to the house. I decided to go with Atlas Van Lines. They were the most helpful and comparable in price to the other huge companies, but they took the most time to explain things to me and make sure I understood everything. I would just look up in your phone book to see if there is a division of Atlas Van Lines in your area and give them a call.

My move is happening August 14th so I will let you know how it goes! Good luck!
I used Atlas 10 years ago from Cleveland to Wilmington and they were awesome. They told me 2-3 days to get my stuff (average time), but they were here the very next day. Nothing broken, nice guys, good price. (But again, that was 10 years ago.)

Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
I used Atlas 10 years ago from Cleveland to Wilmington and they were awesome. They told me 2-3 days to get my stuff (average time), but they were here the very next day. Nothing broken, nice guys, good price. (But again, that was 10 years ago.)
I called Atlas when I originally posted this and they STILL haven't returned my call.. I also E-mailed them... disapointing... I am looking into a truck rental you drive yourself...So expensive.. u-haul wants 1300 for a 10x10!!!

Anybody know which truck rental is the best and cheepest... it is hard calling all these people and then they don't call back..

Thanks... looks like Sept move!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM

69 posts, read 453,065 times
When I priced UHaul for a do it yourself truck it was like 1200 from Ohio to Wilmington so I ended up going with Atlas. I am sorry that they haven't called you back. I had really good luck on the phone with them. I am not moving till the 15th of August though so my move hasnt happened yet. I know it is their busiest time of year right now so that may have something to do with the no call back but that still isn't right. Have you tried others in your phone book?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:30 AM

35 posts, read 97,612 times
FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING OR TRYING TO FIND A MOVING CO., PLEASE BEWARE!!!!Please check out Movingscam.com, complaints.com, badmovers.com.,
www1.epinions.com, the squeakywheel.com --before you consider a moving company. Wheaton Van Lines aka Wheaton World Wide Moving is a company you want to stay away from, they have had numerous complaints for holding furniture hostage until you pay additional cash upon delivery not quoted for in your original estimate, even if it is a binding estimate.

Moving companies seem to and can pretty much get away with anything. Now there are law firms handling class actions against moving companies for charging excess fuel charges.

Also due to the substanial complaints against moving companies, and the limitations of the ICC regulations (Interstate Commerce Regulations), there have been numerous Congressional hearings pertaining to "rogue movers". Most and typical complaints are consumer/shippers enter into binding estimates with a stated price and upon delivery the driver demands more money, HOLDING ALL WORLDLY POSSESSIONS HOSTAGE UNTIL THE CASH IS PAID, and let me tell you it can be substantial into the 1,000's; and committing extortion by theft. There have been numerous instances where people decided not to pay and not submit themselves to extortion, only to discover the moving company left holding all of their possessions and have never returned them.

Also, it means nothing that they are listed with the BBB. Any company can be listed with them stating they are in good standing if they are a paying member.

So, please check into and research this very carefully. Consumer complaints against "rogue mover's" has skyrockted.

Due to the enormous amount of complaints, there is new public Federal law on this issue, "Safe Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportion Equity" can be viewed at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-dbname=109_cong_public_laws&docid=fubl059.109 (broken link). I hope I am stating that correctly.
If not you can contact Congressman Thomas Peltri's office and his assistant, Keelin Haddix, Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure, 2165 Rayburn HOB, Washington, D.C. 20515,
phone (202)225-4472; fax no.: (202)226-1270, e-mail address, keelin.haddix@mail.house.gov.

The new Federal law is know as "Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: Title I: Federal-Aid Highways - Subtitle A: Authorization of Progams; Subtitle B: Hosehold Goods Transportation - Household Goods Mover Oversight Enforcement and Reform Act of 2005 (Sec. 4203)".

If the moderator would like for me to provide the entire statute of the Fedreal law, I would be more than happy to do so.

But, this new law is not 100% percent guaranteed protection. Even though this new law is in place, these occurrences are still happening. Again, please research this carefully.

As stated, there have been hundreds of consumer complaints on this issue, and the complaints continue to rise dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina