U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM

375 posts, read 803,037 times

Advertisements

I also noticed that 'The Notebook' was filmed in South Carolina. I find that sometimes it helps when you are watching a movie w/similar landscape/cityscape you like to figure out where it was filmed as a way of narrowing down areas to check out and visit.

Of course, so much of the movie is contrived and can be on movie sets, but you may wish to consider trying to analyze what it is that drew you to the NC coast and if it's the Nicholas Sparks' books, start with New Bern (of course!) and check out the other places the movies from his books were made. He has a great website as well that really goes into detail about how much he loves E NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,037,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
I would rather someone have a clear picture from a resident than a skewed perspective of an unfortunate one time visit. Bill
Bill, comprehension is one of the keys to reading. I didn't say I was there only once. I have been there plenty of times. The account I gave was one of the times I have been there. I could have told of the time I took my whole family to MHC for the boat races and how miserably hot it was that that day.

I do give what I think is my opinion of the OBX and along the crystal coast. It's nice. But it's not perfect and just like anywhere else there is often weather that a lot of people don't like.

You're a real estate agent. You have one agenda and that is to get as many people to buy property and homes in this area as possible.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 AM

80 posts, read 193,972 times
I'd love to move to coastal Carolina as well. Unfortuneatly I haven't been able to get a job by appling online

I live in WV now and I'm so miserable....

Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,816,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Bill, comprehension is one of the keys to reading. I didn't say I was there only once. I have been there plenty of times. The account I gave was one of the times I have been there. I could have told of the time I took my whole family to MHC for the boat races and how miserably hot it was that that day.

I do give what I think is my opinion of the OBX and along the crystal coast. It's nice. But it's not perfect and just like anywhere else there is often weather that a lot of people don't like.

You're a real estate agent. You have one agenda and that is to get as many people to buy property and homes in this area as possible.
I'll come to Bill's defense on this one. I personally can not recall a post by him that has that real estate spin on it. In fact, I've seen him point other real estae agents who have done what are you excusing. (I think his most recent one was big part of what was behind Sunny Kayak's "play nice" post)

Sound front beaches in Crystal Coast area??

What he is saying is true and would be corroborated by many who live in the area. My father-in-law lives in MHC, I grew up in Havelock and I've experienced the weather Bill describes much more often than I've experienced what you are describing. Not to say it never happens, but it is the exception, not the rule.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:29 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,037,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'll come to Bill's defense on this one. I personally can not recall a post by him that has that real estate spin on it.
Really? Show me one single post where he has criticized ANYTHING about the coast. Nowhere is perfect and there is always room for improvement. He is critical of anywhere but the coast and never has anything good to say about anywhere else in Eastern Carolina. He just gets all excited and jumps up and down if ANYBODY says anything critical about the coast though. Sounds like a RE agent to me.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
Really? Show me one single post where he has criticized ANYTHING about the coast.
There is no way to win when someone decides to resort to conjecture and hyperbole. I prefer to stick to the facts. For example: It is unusual for anywhere coastal NC such as Hatteras, AB, Topsail, to reach 95 degrees or higher.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 12-08-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,132 times
and to be fair on the cold side of things, poor coastal carolina and most of the south is experiencing extremely cold temps right now. while i would love to believe these are isolated, i actually suffered through a very cold coastal carolina winter last year, horrid utility bills as a result and fear that perhaps this year is going to be a repeat. cold is cold - it's not great falls, montana but to me, plunging in the teens in december is pretty bad and perspective residents need to understand that these areas do have some very cold weather.

with that, i might add that there were times when i felt that living in southwest florida in the summer was more bearable than either north carolina or virginia summers, along the coast and inland. just a native virginian, transplanted carolinian's perspective. the humidity is terrible. a plug for carolina beach however - along the water, there did seem to be a breeze most of the time which made things a lot easier.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,464 times
This morning Boston was warmer than Morehead City and St.Pete, Fla.
Living on the water and/or along the coast you will always have moisture in the air. It's diferent from regular humidity. Any amount of cold mixed in with moist air tends to make the conditions feel more brutal. This is why Mark Twain said the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Franciso. Cool/cold temps with ever present moisture from the sea can get to you.
My wife who was born and raised in Poland and only lived in Rhode Island before coastal NC was very surprised at how ocean/saltwater air in the winter can affect someone.
Here's a funny (but true) expression I learned when I first moved to the coast about moist, saltwater air: If it's wood it'll rot. If it is metal it'll rust. If its plastic it'll get stolen.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:32 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,132 times
"Here's a funny (but true) expression I learned when I first moved to the coast about moist, saltwater air: If it's wood it'll rot. If it is metal it'll rust. If its plastic it'll get stolen." quote from Bill H.\

LOL - ain't that the truth , bless your heart

and to the original OP, if you do come "down east", you will experience the taste treat of eastern carolina bar-b-q

not to be confused with Lexington style or south carolina style or any of the other lesser breeds....................and now that i've scratched the nerves of everyone but the vinegar and spice cheerleaders, i'll go eat some carolina shrimp (the sweetest in the world)

Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM

844 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'll come to Bill's defense on this one. I personally can not recall a post by him that has that real estate spin on it. In fact, I've seen him point other real estae agents who have done what are you excusing. (I think his most recent one was big part of what was behind Sunny Kayak's "play nice" post).
I also come to Bill's defense. I have never viewed his responses as real estate slanted; he is simply sharing his enthusiasm for the wonderful area he calls home.

I have always found his responses very informative and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina