U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:28 PM

122 posts, read 429,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwebs View Post
The beach: get there early if you want to park anywhere close. I find late afternoons to be great, because it is not so crowded. Also, I prefer the north end of Wrightsville Beach. Also, there is no free parking, so bring your credit card or lots of cash. FYI: The water temp. gets very hot this time of year and the sand will burn your feet. Not very refreshing!
Almost forgot! I don't even attempt to visit Wrightsville Bch or Carolina Bch when the kids are out of school & tourists are flocking there. If you are gonna live by me in Ogden, do what I do and make the 30 min. drive up to Topsail Island/Surf City. Now that Hwy 17 is 4 lanes, it's an easy drive. No parking meters and if you get there before 9am on Sat. or Sun. morning, you pretty much have the place to yourself. They have a pier and the same amenities the other previously-mentioned beaches have, without the stress (and free parking to boot). Dogs are also welcome on Surf City/Topsail Island beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,953 times
Quote:
Gas taxes are higher here in N.C. than they are in Ohio

State Motor Fuel Tax Rates
(http://www.artba.org/economics_research/current_issues/Gas_Tax_Variable_Rates_2007.pdf - broken link)

That's true...

I do want to remind people that there are TWO bridges across the river, not one.

My husband crosses the bridge daily. His job is in Castle Hayne, we live in Belville, he takes the top bridge, not the one that feeds into the intersection there at the Burger King at the corner of 17 and 74/76. He also doesn't go in at your typical 8:30 to 5 hours. He said traffic is not an issue.

You can also avoid New Hanover taxes by living in Pender. The property taxes on houses in New Hanover are higher than Pender and Brunswick and they are higher in the city than in the county of New Hanover. Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

State Motor Fuel Tax Rates
(http://www.artba.org/economics_research/current_issues/Gas_Tax_Variable_Rates_2007.pdf - broken link)

That's true...

I do want to remind people that there are TWO bridges across the river, not one.

My husband crosses the bridge daily. His job is in Castle Hayne, we live in Belville, he takes the top bridge, not the one that feeds into the intersection there at the Burger King at the corner of 17 and 74/76. He also doesn't go in at your typical 8:30 to 5 hours. He said traffic is not an issue.

You can also avoid New Hanover taxes by living in Pender. The property taxes on houses in New Hanover are higher than Pender and Brunswick and they are higher in the city than in the county of New Hanover. Liz
If you guys lived in Pender, then your husband would have a real easy drive! He is lucky...most of us DO work 8am to 5pm....and the Isabella Holmes (3rd St.) bridge isn't an option if all traffic is being funneled to that one bridge when the other one is open. With more and more and more people crossing the river each day (way more now than back in '95 when I moved here and there were the same 2 bridges then), both bridges are now overtaxed during the morning/evening rush hours. On many occasions I have seen accidents on both bridges at 5pm when it's raining and it brings the city to a halt!

I really hope that they do bring that Skyway toll bridge project to a reality. It would be a godsend to this area. Unfortunately, most of us will either have moved away in frustration (or be dead and buried) before it is ever built.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 PM

69 posts, read 424,529 times
ryeager9.....Thank you so much for that info on the vets and boarding facilities. Having a boarder open on Sundays is a great bonus! I always hate having to wait till Monday to pick her up if I am not back in that one hour window they give for pick ups. I am SO sorry to hear that your dog passed away last night. That must be terrible! I hope you are ok. Thank you also for the information on the beaches. I have never been to Topsail so I am thinking I will check that out. Free parking is awesome! 30 minutes isnt bad...it can take you that long or longer just to find a parking space at Wrightsville.

I haven't found a job yet but I have been applying to New Hanover, Brunswick, and Pender County Schools so hopefully something pans out soon. But I would much rather not have to drive far but a job is a job.

When I was down in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend the gas prices were about 40-50 cents cheaper than here in Columbus, Ohio. I was amazed! I hope it stays like that! *keeping my fingers crossed*

A few more questions.....

1. Gas and electric companies that I would use?
2. Good cable company?
3. A good State Farm agent?
4. Are there National City banks? If not, a good bank for a checking account that has many local ATMS?
5. Process for getting new license plates and license for NC?

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Process for getting new license plates and license for NC?
*I* just went thru this rigamorole, LOL.

First, your license which you have to have to get your car tag.

Have in hand your Ohio DL and proof of NC insurance on the car along with proof of residency in NC (such as electricity bill, cable, etc with your name on it) and make sure you either have CASH or a LOCAL check.

They will have you take the eye test, a signs test, and a written test, but 99% of the time, don't require a road test for those of us who already have a DL. But they do reserve the right to do it.

I discovered that in Wilmington, the DL and the tag office are about 4 miles apart on Market St.

For the tags, it depends on whether you own, or lease your car.

If you own:
Need your title.
Proof of Insurance
Odometer Reading
NC Drivers License
And MONEY and don't be surprised to be hit with a considerable amount the first time. Dh's was over $200 this time but will be $28 next year. Apparently the first time you register a car in NC they hit you with a road tax.

Cable Company: if you can use Comcast, do so...I have Time Warner for the first time and the picture is TERRIBLE, I get pixelation, the box has rebooted three times in two months for no known cause, and I've had it completely disappear three or four times.

As far as banks, I have been a SunTrust customer since 1997. Do not go near BofA see this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...353-banks.html Another one that will work is BB&T. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
If you guys lived in Pender, then your husband would have a real easy drive!
Our first choice on a home WAS in Pender up above where he is working but the people selling it did not want to budge on my top price. I had a price I wasn't willing to go above and they weren't willing to come down to meet it. So I walked away. It was too bad too cause I REALLY liked that house.

But I learned long ago to not let my heart get in the way of buying a house. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 05:50 AM

69 posts, read 424,529 times
Thank you Liz! That is a huge help! You have no idea!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
ryeager9.....Thank you so much for that info on the vets and boarding facilities. Having a boarder open on Sundays is a great bonus! I always hate having to wait till Monday to pick her up if I am not back in that one hour window they give for pick ups. I am SO sorry to hear that your dog passed away last night. That must be terrible! I hope you are ok. Thank you also for the information on the beaches. I have never been to Topsail so I am thinking I will check that out. Free parking is awesome! 30 minutes isnt bad...it can take you that long or longer just to find a parking space at Wrightsville.

I haven't found a job yet but I have been applying to New Hanover, Brunswick, and Pender County Schools so hopefully something pans out soon. But I would much rather not have to drive far but a job is a job.

When I was down in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend the gas prices were about 40-50 cents cheaper than here in Columbus, Ohio. I was amazed! I hope it stays like that! *keeping my fingers crossed*

A few more questions.....

1. Gas and electric companies that I would use?
2. Good cable company?
3. A good State Farm agent?
4. Are there National City banks? If not, a good bank for a checking account that has many local ATMS?
5. Process for getting new license plates and license for NC?

Thank you!
Gosh...you're gonna make do work today! That's okay, after all, it is Monday. All I can say is that you should feel very lucky, since there was no Internet when I moved here from OH back in '95. But I am happy to help a soon-to-be former Buckeye.

1. Gas: unlike Ohio, you will only have natural gas if you live in the oldest of neighborhoods downtown. More than likely, you will have a heat pump. Also, unlike Ohio, you only have 1 gas company to choose from. Here is the info: Piedmont Natural Gas (910-235-6162, piedmontng.com). I've never had natural gas here, so maybe someone who does can add info here?

2. Depends on where you live. Most areas served by Time Warner Cable (in Wilm: 910-763-4638, twceastnc.com). Outer parts of New Hanover County (Pleasure Island beaches) and Pender Co. use Charter Communications cable (888-438-2427, charter.com) Of course, many people prefer to do the satellite thing, but I have TWC and their service has been decent compared to other places I've lived.

3. State Farm agents ("Select" agents only, all 910 area code):
Tim Moore, 7016 Market St., 686-1272, (he is in Ogden area)
Mary Beth Morgan Ins. Agency, 8139 Market St., 681-0000 (she is close to Ogden area)
C. David Ward, 4818 New Centre Dr., 799-2357
Don Bullard II, 4709 Oleander Dr., 791-5400

4. National City is an Ohio thing, sorry. Here the big players are Wachovia (wachovia.com), Bank of America (bankofamerica.com), BB&T (bbt.com), and RBC Centura (rbccentura.com). There are other large banks here, but these 3 would have the most ATMs and branches spread across town. However, if you are going to be a teacher, then you will be eligible to join State Employees Credit Union, which has MUCH better interest rates than the big guys and a ton of free services. There are other credit unions in the area that all residents of Wilm are allowed to join. Also some good regional banks, in the area as well. Let me know & I can tell you more. NOTE: Unlike Ohio, you won't find a bank anywhere in Wilmington open on Saturday morning. (Anyone care to challenge that? I haven't found one.....)

5. The biggest shocker for last. We will get the bad news out of the way first. Unlike Ohio, when you register your car(s) here, you will have to pay a "highway use" tax. The amount of the tax is 3% of the value of the vehicle and you will have to pay that up front at the DMV before they will hand you your new plates and registration sticker. Then each year, you will pay a personal property tax (they send you a card in the mail), but it will be less than the highway tax you paid when you registered your vehicle. Also be sure to bring your insurance info and your title. If you have a car loan, you need to have your lienholder (loan) info as well so they can call them. Unlike Ohio, your car is checked every single year for safety and emissions. (Vehicles more than 10 yrs. old only have to have the cheaper safety inspection each year.) Getting your drivers license requires you to take the written test, so stop by an office and pick up a book and study it: the test is not easy if you haven't looked at the book. They can also choose to give you a road test, just like you were 16 years old again. It's at the discretion of the DMV office to do that, so go in there with a smile, even though they are not capable of smiling themselves. You will surrender your OH license to them when they give you your new NC license. Technically, you are supposed to get your NC license within 30 days and register your vehicle within 60 days of moving here, but I waited like 6 months until I had the money saved up to do it all. I just drove around on my Ohio tags until then...no problem, no rush. The folks at the DMV are just as rude here as they are up there (no southern hospitality in the DMV offices here at all), but there are 2 offices in Wilmington and the office closest to you in Ogden is the better one to go to:

1 Station Rd., 350-2005
2390-B 5 Carolina Beach Rd. at South Square Plaza, 251-5747

Summary of what you can expect to fork over:
Highway Use tax: 3% of the value of your vehicle
Title transfer fee: $35
License plate: $20-25 (assuming a "plain" plate. They have like 100 specialty plates and vanity plates available. See website for info.)
Driver's license: $10-20

More DMV stuff at: ncdot.org/dmv

Need to know anything else??

Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
ryeager9.....Thank you so much for that info on the vets and boarding facilities. Having a boarder open on Sundays is a great bonus! I always hate having to wait till Monday to pick her up if I am not back in that one hour window they give for pick ups. I am SO sorry to hear that your dog passed away last night. That must be terrible! I hope you are ok.
Thanks for the condolences. I'm much better today (Mon.). I guess it just sort of hit me hard since I don't have kids and he was like my "kid" for 13 yrs. But I'm better, thanks! I had a long-haired medium-sized dog and they only charged me $55 for a bath & groom and it was probably the best grooming job he's ever had. If you like to pamper your pet, they have the doggie day spa, which is actually kinda cool. I may have given you the wrong name of the place before. It's Pups Play & Stay (524-PUPS, pupsplaystay.com)

Old 07-16-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
NOTE: Unlike Ohio, you won't find a bank anywhere in Wilmington open on Saturday morning. (Anyone care to challenge that? I haven't found one.....)
Yes, I care to challenge this, LOL. SunTrust has two located inside Harris Teeters. They are at:
Quote:
Longleaf Mall Harris-Teeter
4310 Shipyard Boulevard
Wilmington, NC 28403 Weekend 10-4

South College Road Harris-Teeter
820 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28401 Weekend 10-4
Oh, as to Electricity: That is most likely going to be Progress Energy. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina