U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:31 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,349,428 times

Advertisements

ryeager9, I'm sorry you lost your furbaby. I know how hard that is to deal with. I have five feline furbabies of my own. But I've had many who have already crossed the Rainbow Bridge and are waiting on me. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:34 AM

915 posts, read 2,312,000 times
Avoid Charter Cable at all costs, if you move to Carolina/Kure Beach. Your only other option would be DirecTV or Dish Network. I had nothing but trouble with them in my five years in the Wilmington area and unfortunately had more issues with them once I moved to Asheville. Been happy with DirecTV for four years now.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:45 AM

122 posts, read 429,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
ryeager9.....Thank you so much for that info on the vets and boarding facilities. Having a boarder open on Sundays is a great bonus! I always hate having to wait till Monday to pick her up if I am not back in that one hour window they give for pick ups. I am SO sorry to hear that your dog passed away last night. That must be terrible! I hope you are ok. Thank you also for the information on the beaches. I have never been to Topsail so I am thinking I will check that out. Free parking is awesome! 30 minutes isnt bad...it can take you that long or longer just to find a parking space at Wrightsville.

I haven't found a job yet but I have been applying to New Hanover, Brunswick, and Pender County Schools so hopefully something pans out soon. But I would much rather not have to drive far but a job is a job.

When I was down in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend the gas prices were about 40-50 cents cheaper than here in Columbus, Ohio. I was amazed! I hope it stays like that! *keeping my fingers crossed*

A few more questions.....

1. Gas and electric companies that I would use?
2. Good cable company?
3. A good State Farm agent?
4. Are there National City banks? If not, a good bank for a checking account that has many local ATMS?
5. Process for getting new license plates and license for NC?

Thank you!

Almost forgot....your electric company will be Progress Energy (progress-energy.com). You can set up service online, but you will need to pay a deposit if you have never had an account with them before. They return it to you after 18 months of on-time payments, and you will never have to do that again with them, even if you move away & come back or whatever. Phone is AT&T (used to be BellSouth, but they were bought out last month by AT&T. You can set up phone service at att.net) As far as high-speed internet, I have DSL through BellSouth/AT&T and it has been very reliable and cheaper than Road Runner at TWC (but both services are available just about everywhere in Wilm....your choice).

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
You can set up service online, but you will need to pay a deposit if you have never had an account with them before.
IF you have had electrical service elsewhere, they MAY just run a credit check instead of requiring a deposit. That's what they did with us and we had never had an account with them either. Utilities are starting to do that more nowadays than ever before. If you have had accounts with other utilities and have been in good standing with them, they will use that credit history. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
IF you have had electrical service elsewhere, they MAY just run a credit check instead of requiring a deposit. That's what they did with us and we had never had an account with them either. Utilities are starting to do that more nowadays than ever before. If you have had accounts with other utilities and have been in good standing with them, they will use that credit history. Liz
Back in '95 they said they did that deposit thing for everyone (I had been an Ohio Edison electric customer since '85, but made no difference). They may have changed the rules since then so maybe she won't have to pay anything, which is good, because she will have to pay so much for everything else.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
ryeager9, I'm sorry you lost your furbaby. I know how hard that is to deal with. I have five feline furbabies of my own. But I've had many who have already crossed the Rainbow Bridge and are waiting on me. Liz
Thank you....you are too sweet. This was a new experience for me, after having him since a pup for 13 yrs and it all happened so quickly in just a few hours. Hopefully, he will be waiting on me as well.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Back in '95 they said they did that deposit thing for everyone (I had been an Ohio Edison electric customer since '85, but made no difference). They may have changed the rules since then so maybe she won't have to pay anything, which is good, because she will have to pay so much for everything else.
Somewhere between 2000 and 2007 they changed the rules. We moved TO MI and had to pay deposits. That was the last time we switched companies. This time, it didn't matter. All they did was run credit checks with our previous utilities for the most part. Now our water and sewer, we did have to pay but they are local not regional companies.

We were with AT&T/SBC (the MI, etc group) so moving to AT&T/Bellsouth was easy enough...until we got hit with a final bill. You see we had a business line there and they thought we *left* AT&T altogether...seems that the different sections of AT&T aren't talking to each other. We had to FAX the front page of our current bill back to the AT&T MI division to get it taken off. Talk about a HASSLE! They could not even LOOK it up!!! Liz

Last edited by southernlady5464; 07-16-2007 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Somewhere between 2000 and 2007 they changed the rules. We moved TO MI and had to pay deposits. That was the last time we switched companies. This time, it didn't matter. All they did was run credit checcks with our previous utilities for the most part. Now our water and sewer, we did have to pay but they are local not regional companies.

We were with AT&T/SBC (the MI, etc group) so moving to AT&T/Bellsouth was easy enough...until we got hit with a final bill. You see we had a business line there and they thought we *left* AT&T altogether...seems that the different sections of AT&T aren't talking to each other. We had to FAX the front page of our current bill back to the AT&T MI division to get it taken off. Talk about a HASSLE! They could not even LOOK it up!!! Liz
That is awful about AT&T. I guess ATT Residential and ATT Business are separate companies, not connected? Over the years, Bellsouth has really cleaned up their act and gotten much better (compared to how they were when they were Southern Bell when I moved here). But now comes along AT&T, which is already a messy corporation just to make things worse.

Now that I think about it.......I think the electric deposit rule changed when Carolina Power & Light (CP&L) became Progress Energy. Does that sound right?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
That is awful about AT&T. I guess ATT Residential and ATT Business are separate companies, not connected?
Nope, AT&T MI and AT&T NC aren't connected, LOL, Business and residential didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm not sure when the rules changed...maybe when they could access stuff more on computer databases. Liz

Old 07-16-2007, 10:16 AM

25 posts, read 118,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
ryeager9.....Thank you so much for that info on the vets and boarding facilities. Having a boarder open on Sundays is a great bonus! I always hate having to wait till Monday to pick her up if I am not back in that one hour window they give for pick ups. I am SO sorry to hear that your dog passed away last night. That must be terrible! I hope you are ok. Thank you also for the information on the beaches. I have never been to Topsail so I am thinking I will check that out. Free parking is awesome! 30 minutes isnt bad...it can take you that long or longer just to find a parking space at Wrightsville.

I haven't found a job yet but I have been applying to New Hanover, Brunswick, and Pender County Schools so hopefully something pans out soon. But I would much rather not have to drive far but a job is a job.

When I was down in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend the gas prices were about 40-50 cents cheaper than here in Columbus, Ohio. I was amazed! I hope it stays like that! *keeping my fingers crossed*

A few more questions.....

1. Gas and electric companies that I would use?
2. Good cable company?
3. A good State Farm agent?
4. Are there National City banks? If not, a good bank for a checking account that has many local ATMS?
5. Process for getting new license plates and license for NC?

Thank you!
NCJill:

I also live in Ogden near where you will be. Here's my two cents worth.

Electric: My electric is Progress Energy, no gas company as you'll have a heat pump (something you'll get use to).

Cable: Your cable will be Time Warner (your only option unfortunately). I have their cable and Road Runner internet and rarely have problems. My friend has Bell South (AT&T) now and has had several problems (she is also in Ogden area).

State Farm: I use Tim Moore on Market Street for State Farm. His office has always been very friendly and helpful, and they won't bother you trying to sell you other services. They are located very close to where you'll be.

Banks: You will have many options for banks, as there everywhere here. Bank of America has alot of branches and ATM's all over the place. There is a Bank of America ATM at the corner of Gordon and Military Cutoff in the Harris Teeter parking lot and another in the Food Lion parking lot at Porter's Neck (just north of you) and a branch on Military Cutoff. Probably your best bet.

Driver/Auto Licensing: Pretty well covered by others. Plan on the whole process taking you at least a day. Also, there is a driver's license office in Hampstead (north 10 miles), which would much closer than Carolina Beach office. Also, you can go to offices in either Burgaw or Wallace (north on 40 between 30 to 45 minutes) and get both tags and license in one office and not have to drive to two seperate places. I actually find that I can go to Wallace and get in and out and be back home quicker than if I went in Wilmington, as there is almost never a wait, especially at off hours (9:00 am to 11:30 or 1:30to 3:30).

Gas: I just drove back from Michigan on Saturday and gas is definitely cheaper here than there. Probably due to the refinery flooding in Kansas where your gas comes from. Ours comes out of Mississippi/Lousiana area.

Vets/Grooming: Porter's Neck Vet also boards. I have my dog groomed at Eastwood Grooming off Market (452-2224). He is a long hair sheltie and they only charge $35 and are very easy to work with. I've tried many others and found them to be the best. You will have to call and see if they are taking new clients though. Last I heard, they were not, but that was months ago.

Jobs: A little advice when dealing with the schools in NHC. Call each school directly and speak to the Principle. Dealing with central office can be a nightmare, so if you have sent them your resume and not heard anything, try the schools directly and tell them your resume is on file at CO, or better yet, send your resume directly to the school then call. Most 07-08 jobs have been filled, but openings will come up due to changes or increase in children. Do not stop by the schools unexpectedly. Most Principles don't appreciate that and won't see you. The closest schools to you will be Ogden Elementary (686-6464, Allsion Ward-P), Blair Elementary (350-2045, Sharon Sand-P), Murrayville Elementary (790-5067, Julie Duclos-P), Wrightsville Beach Elementary (256-3171), Eaton Elementary (397-1544, Heather Byers-P), Noble Middle School (350-2112, Wade Smith-P), Trask Middle School (350-2142, Sharon Dousharm-P) and Laney High School (350-2089, Al O'Briant-P). Also, the schools in Hampstead (Pender County) wouldn't be that far either, and the traffic would be going the other way. Those are only the schools close to where you will be living. See New Hanover County Schools for more info. on other NHC schools.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina