Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM

69 posts, read 453,994 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to Wilmington in August from Columbus, Ohio and was wondering if I could get some basic information from someone who lives there. I have been down there 5 times so I am pretty familiar with the area but still need to know some basic day to day things.

1.) What is a good grocery store? (I am living North on Market, right past Military Cut-Off)

2.) Any pointers on going to the beaches? Parking?

3.) Good dog parks?

Thanks so much for any helpful information you might be able to provide me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 AM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Okay, I just moved her and have tried ALL the local grocery stores now. And altho the Super WalMart probably has the lowest prices and is the easiest to get all your stuff in one trip, it's too much of a temptation to buy other stuff at the same time. Plus the produce isn't always the best.

Not really fond of Food LIon.
Piggly Wiggly has passed it's heyday LONG ago.
Harris Tetter is way too expensive for the quality.
The one *I* like best is Lowe's Food Stores.

There is also a Fresh Market in town which is similar to a Whole Foods, haven't gone to it yet...but I've always liked it for special stuff like spices, special cuts of meat, etc.

Can't answer your other two questions. I don't have a dog...I have kitties. And haven't made it to the beach yet. Liz

Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

I am so excited that they have something like Whole Foods. I have Whole Foods here in Columbus, Ohio and I love it for the occasional special trip. I will try Lowe's Food Stores when I get there. Sounds like the right type of place. I appreciate your help!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 AM

Oh, and there is a Farmer's Market downtown on the Riverfront every Sat morning most of the year...let me dig up the web site.

RIVERFRONT FARMERS' MARKET
Saturdays April 21, 2007 - December 22, 2007

Quote:
The Riverfront Farmers' Market is a curbside market featuring local farmers, producers, artists and crafters. Products offered include fresh fruits and berries, vegetables, plants, herbs, flowers, eggs, cheeses, meats, seafood, honey, baked goods, fudge, legumes, pickled items, jams and jellies, art, crafts, and more.
Liz

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM

I have heard about the Farmers Market. I can't wait to go there! The Riverfront is my favorite spot!

Old 07-15-2007, 09:31 AM

I have another question (I will probably have others):

Does anyone know of a really good vet/boarding facility for dogs?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 126,517 times
Smile Wilmington info

Groceries: I live near where you are going to be and Lowe's is not close. Fresh Market is, but is expensive. I like the Food Lion on Gordon and Market and find it has the best prices for everyday stuff. All my friends shop at Harris Teeter, but I think they are too expensive. I will go there for sales and when I need good produce or already made items. If you are going to work near a Lowe's, you can order your groceries on line, pay with a credit card, pull up to the store and your order will be waiting for you. Very convient!

The beach: get there early if you want to park anywhere close. I find late afternoons to be great, because it is not so crowded. Also, I prefer the north end of Wrightsville Beach. Also, there is no free parking, so bring your credit card or lots of cash. FYI: The water temp. gets very hot this time of year and the sand will burn your feet. Not very refreshing!

Dogs: Alot of people walk their dogs around Wrightsville Beach Loop, and although I have a dog, I never take him to a dog park (he has lots of room to run). I highly recommend Porter's Neck Vetrinarians on Market Street. I find them to be resonable, friendly, and clean. They would be just north of you on Market Street. Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Groceries: I live near where you are going to be and Lowe's is not close.
Lowe's isn't close to me either, I go across the bridge into Wilmington, bypassing a Food Lion, a PW, and a Super WalMart to get to the Lowes on College Street near New Center Drive. Why? Cause I LIKE the store. It's clean, well maintained, good choice in food and the people there are as nice as can be. And with a shopper's card, I can do fairly well. Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Wow! Thanks shwebs! That was really helpful. Looks like Food Lion is my best everyday grocery store option. Having a vet to look into is very helpful too, you just dont think of all the things you are going to need to find in a new place and its a bit overwhelming!

Thanks again.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:22 PM

122 posts, read 482,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJill View Post
I have another question (I will probably have others):

Does anyone know of a really good vet/boarding facility for dogs?
I live in Ogden and I used to take my dog to Wilmington Animal Healthcare (791-7101) on Gordon Rd. It is a new office next to the Zaxby's & CVS near the Gordon & Market intersection. They are a husband & wife vet team and they are awesome. Ironically, my dog passed away last night & I'm still recovering from that today, but I'm better. As far as boarding goes, last week I boarded my dog at a place called Pets at Play on Market. They are between Porters Neck Rd. and Poplar Grove plantation. It is a new facility that is nice & clean, they have doggie daycare & the best part is that they are open 7 days a week, from 7am-7pm. So you can actually pick up your pet on Sunday afternoon if you want, which is unheard of elsewhere I have boarded. They do an excellent job of grooming. Boarding rate is 89 cents/hr. (comes to about $22/day).

Depending on the mpg that your vehicle gets, you might want to really weigh the cost/benefit of living too far away from Wilm or your job. Gas taxes are higher here in N.C. than they are in Ohio (I'm originally from Akron & travel back there frequently). Purchasing more gas & possibly having to sit in traffic when the bridge opens at 5pm, or if there is an accident on the bridge....look out. Brunswick county won't seem so sweet when you are late for work more than a few times.

I agree with other poster concerning Northcase. That could be viable choice for you.

There is also a farmers market on Tues, Thurs, Sat. behind SteinMart (old Roses Dept. store) in Hanover Place shopping center on Oleander Dr. I just happened to drive by there this morning and saw the sign. I think it's called "Cape Fear Farmers Market". Can anyone else give more info on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina