U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 47,628 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at a lot of the plans for the town commons and downtown revitalization's and while they look good there seems to be no plan to implement ECU into these. While ECU fans are second to none in loyalty it seems the city finds us and the students as a headache instead of a neccessity. Without ECU Greenville is no better than goldsboro or kinston. I just wanted to see what others thought about this. Other than the water tower near Wal-Mart there has really been nothing done it seems to promote ECU and ECU athletics the way it should. I guess I can see Greenville being like Athens,Ga , Clemson, SC or Auburn, AL if supported the right way. Hopefully we are trying to keep the college town label here instead of trying to branch off from ECU. Just seeing what others thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,179,766 times
I think it used to be a lot worse. But it seems like the city is seeing ECU/the students as an asset. Obviously they aren't moving, so you might as well get used to it.

But as I say that, the City Council is putting together a letter for Ballard asking him (or whatever) to basically ensure the university won't expand into the surrounding area, especially now when the prices are prime.

ECU needs to expand, and I am sorry that some folks won't like that. But oh well....

Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 AM

228 posts, read 521,107 times
ECU needs to expand. And, its best choice is to take over the property surrounding it. In my perfect, dream world, ECU buys up the part of 10th street that cuts through the campus and eliminates that part of the road. And traffic is rerouted around the outside of campus. ECU is already too spread out across town, making it difficult for students to make it to class, etc. Plus, it would revitalize some of the surrounding neighborhoods if ECU took those low rent buildings and built beautiful buildings on them.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM

101 posts, read 199,068 times
My daughter is at ECU loves the program she is in. But after going to UNC to visit a friend, she came back wishing Greenville was more college oriented. It could be much cleaner and special downtown. Freshmen have no cars they need things downtown for entertainment, more transportation on weekends. There is a dirty element to downtown, similiar to military towns. Embrace these students they have money to spend they just need places to go.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
Greenville has a lot of work to do to catch up to Chapel Hill, but the city has planned several improvements that will help its downtown. The downtown area of Greenville needs amenities such as a good concert venue and an upgraded town common to get more visitors.

There are some good spots downtown, though, like Jeffersons, Winslows, Chicos, etc. Hopefully more will come in the near future.

Oh yeah, and decent housing options downtown is a must! No downtown thrives without a decent population living in it or near it.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 AM

232 posts, read 398,116 times
yeah i agree with you. about the only thing the city is doing is the purple and gold flags on light poles haha

Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
It takes a lot of money to lift a downtown area up. So many, many places have tried but after a few years the enthusiasm falters and the place returns to it's same old rut. There is a rumor of a major upscale hotel chain coming to downtown Greenville. That would be a Godsend for that area.

I'm not really sure just what support for ECU would look like though. How would I know it of I were to see it? How would it be different then just a plain revitalization of the downtown area? Would there be like huge statues of Petey The Pirate on every corner? Would the streets be painted purple and yellow?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 PM

232 posts, read 398,116 times
*gold

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM

168 posts, read 435,705 times
I mean, I think Greenville does a better-than-decent job, maybe not Chapel Hill status but decent. There are plenty of Petey statues around, it seems most every business is a member of the pirate club, you can't go a day without seeing a Pirate sweatshirt and the town practically shuts down when there is a home football game. I think it is much better than most college towns to be honest.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 AM

47 posts, read 129,655 times
I do not live in Greenville but have to go there at least a day or two a week. I call it "stop light city". It takes 20 minutes to cross town because of the lights. At each light I see ECU this or Pirates that. As far as "embracing" the college, I don't know how much more a town could do.

Now you see, this is all apparently window dressing. Or not. I laughed the first time there was a "home game". The town shut down and the hotel where I was staying was full of Pirates fans! If anything, at least from the window dressing, Greenville is in jeopardy of having its identity consumed by ECU. So, its just another small southern college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina