U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 PM

345 posts, read 612,829 times
Smile Best time of year to visit Wilmington, NC

Hi guys!

I am planning a family vacation (our first ever) to Wilmington, NC. We're pretty low maintenance, just want to hang out and enjoy the beach while getting to know the town as we investigate the possibilities of a future move.

Vying for vacation time is really competitive at the hospital at which I work, so I would like to put in my request as soon as possible. I'll be travelling with two small boys, in case that matters.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,778,459 times
dec-jan-feb are coldest months.

july-aug are the hottest months, but they might actually be a relief if you live in houston.

april, may, june, sept, oct are all nice. if you want to swim, go sometime after july. tropical storms are an issue mainly in september, but the weather can be great too.

there are a handful of festivals downtown.. riverfest, azalea festival, and some others that may be good for kids. the 4th of july, there's a great fireworks show downtown.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks, and reps to you.

I appreciate the heads up about the water temperature. My boys and I are definitely water rats. I'll google festivals in August in the area and try for a time around then. Thanks again!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM

247 posts, read 238,417 times
Default Swimming also in late May-June.

Don't wait for July, swimming is great in June. We used to vacation regularly the week before Memorial day (for the cheaper rates) and it was lovely. We have the Gulf stream off the coast, so the water warms up quickly in the spring. Some of my visiting nieces and nephews have gone in as early as March, but that's too frigid for me. Late May and June are fine, and you'll beat the crowds.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM

431 posts, read 629,626 times
I vacationed here in July of last year. It gave us a great idea of what we were getting ourselves into temperature wise.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys. I would definitely like to beat the crowds, so maybe coming a little earlier would be a good idea. Reps to you

Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
Wilmington had the best firework display on the 4th of July that we had ever seen. I was recommend going for that, but book a hotel because they sell out.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,369,769 times
Easter until right before memorial day. After Labor Day thru Oct/Nov.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 AM

1,132 posts, read 894,417 times
The absolute BEST time to visit Wilmington is probably going to surprise you...its September, in the middle of Hurricane season. Because if you don't get a Hurricane (the odds are fairly low really), all of the tourists have left but the town is still hopping because of the college students coming in, the weather is still warm and the ocean is still warm. And in terms of a vacation, getting out on the water on a boat should be on your list. Wilmington looks entirely different if you are on the water (the locals all know this).

May is a bit cool to be on the water (because the water is cold, not the weather), the first boats start coming out then. Its another good time, but you miss that activity.

If you have young boys there is nothing better than pulling up to your own island (like Masonboro), throwing anchor and watching them play on your own beach like little explorers. Bring some Zac Brown Band/Kenny Chesney type music and that's your whole day. You can even take a boat and dock in Wilmington or Wrightsville and get some eats. You can do this all summer, but the summer is very busy.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,388 times
I would second September or even early October! My family and I went to the beach the first week of October this year. It was still warm enough to swim and there were no crowds at all. I think the fall is the best time to visit the NC beaches. The fishing is just starting to heat up at that time too if you like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina