U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM

55 posts, read 564,476 times

Advertisements

Hello ,

Can you please tell me what area is better for a family to live at? We are trying to decide between North Carolina coastal areas, or Florida Tampa Bay area......

I have not been to either place and can only visit one at this time....Please let me know your honset opionions if you have ever been there & what are the beat areas to live in for a family, best schools and towns .

Also, can you plese tell me some New home Builders in North Carolina area? I can only find Centex and Beazer so far. Thanks so much for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,131 times
My kids are grown, but I like Florida much better. My mother lives in Wilmington and she loves it there. To answer your question, I would say it all depends on what schools your kids go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Hello ,

Can you please tell me what area is better for a family to live at? We are trying to decide between North Carolina coastal areas, or Florida Tampa Bay area......

I have not been to either place and can only visit one at this time....Please let me know your honset opionions if you have ever been there & what are the beat areas to live in for a family, best schools and towns .

Also, can you plese tell me some New home Builders in North Carolina area? I can only find Centex and Beazer so far. Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 55,384 times
Think about the South Brunswick Islands in North Carolina. Sits between historic Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC. Is coastal with lots of beautiful beaches, lots of interesting places to live. Check out these web sites: Ocean Ridge Plantation or Rivers Edge. Local builder Mark Saunders Luxury Homes has a 20 year track record. High quality. 1-800-262-7820

Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM

700 posts, read 2,077,290 times
I was raised in North Carolina,moved to Florida with my job for fifteen years,moved back to North Carolina four and a half years ago,so I know both areas well. Florida is a much desirable place to live for many reasons. When the opportunity arrives,we're going back and can't wait!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:22 PM

128 posts, read 263,126 times
Default Why FLorida?

We are looking to retire (both in mid-late 50's) and want something near water. Had a condo in Sarasota for investment and loved it. However, way too expensive. We are thinking about Tampa, Jax, fla or NC Maybe Charlotte (I know, not near water, someone suggested New Bern. We tend to be liberal in our thoughts and wondering which area would fit us better. We hate the cold, and hear NC does not get that cold in the winter.

Have not been to the FLA or NC areas listed above.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks!
Sandy

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 AM

Forget North Carolina.......it does get cold! It's not a retirement friendly state either...you get no tax breaks.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 AM

116 posts, read 365,264 times
Having lived in Jacksonville, FL and the Wilmington area, my handsdown choice is Wilmington. I prefer the climate for year round living and I like the Eastern NC pace of life. Not to mention, I've met more friendly people here than anywhere else I have ever lived.

As for Tampa, I have friends there and have visited many times. Tampa is a fun city and there are an abundance of recreational opportunities. The major negative for me is that the traffic is just about equal to my hometown area of Washington, DC. With each move, I try to further myself from the frustrations of congestion and Tampa is just way too crowed for my current taste.

But don't get me wrong; overall, Florida would be in my top 5 preferred places to live.

Last edited by BeachLiving; 06-27-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 PM

We lived in the Orlando area and aren't moving back there for the same reasons.We're moving to the Melbourne/Viera area in Brevard county because it is accessible to Orlando and all it has to offer,but at the same time it is laid back from all the hustle and bustle.We've been in Wilmington for four and a half years and trust me,Florida is ten times better.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:15 PM

61 posts, read 194,845 times
I think there's a big tax break in NC, property taxes are about 1/2 what they are in Florida. I was looking last year in Jax and taxes on a $250K house were about $4500 per year, here in Wil (if outsdie city) taxes are around $1200 a year.

Everyone always talks how great Fl is not having state income tax, but I never quite understood that line of reasoning. To me it's great not having income tax to pay when young and working, but once I retire I'd rather live in a state that has income tax so that the people who are still working end up paying alot of the costs for services rather than me through higher property taxes. The money has to come from some place and if no income tax, it ends up being made up elsewhere. Granted Fl does get a big boost in taxes from tourists, but it seems most of the state does have higher property taxes than you'd find in NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Forget North Carolina.......it does get cold! It's not a retirement friendly state either...you get no tax breaks.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 PM

In Florida,you get a homestead exemption which helps a lot and you do not have to pay property tax on your car every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina