U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:18 AM

65 posts, read 295,183 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me about the area of - topsail, surf city, sneads ferry or hooly ridge? My friend and I are thinking about moving to n.c . We both have kids ages 6-13 amd would like to be close to the water. How are the schools and jobs? My friend is worried about " fitting in"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 04:30 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile A little info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVALLERI View Post
can anyone tell me about the area of - topsail, surf city, sneads ferry or hooly ridge? My friend and I are thinking about moving to n.c . We both have kids ages 6-13 amd would like to be close to the water. How are the schools and jobs? My friend is worried about " fitting in"
I can't offer you much information, but maybe what I have will be a start and get some other folks to answer your questions.

I drove through the area lots when I was commuting to Wilmington to take the last of some classes.

The Sneads Ferry area was pretty well connected to our area, Cape Carteret, until recently when Route 172 through the base was closed to the public.

There has been a fair amount of controversy over this move since it isolates Snead's Ferry from the Crystal Coast.

The whole area you're considering is growing very fast. There was just an incorporation hearing for Sneads Ferry.

There has been a lot of controversy also over beach nourishment at North Topsail. Some homes over there have been condemned while people are continuing to pay taxes on them.

From Highway 17 which parallels the area you can see the growth in shops. There's a Lowe's Home improvement store that looks to have been built in the last few years.

There is a great place to eat barbecue in Holly Ridge. It's called the Holly Ridge Smokehouse. It also has breakfast which I never got to try, but from the crowds I would say it has to be good.

I can't tell you how to figure out the schools, but you can check the Carteret County ones for comparison.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I would guess the advantages of being up in Holly Ridge would be the proximity to Wilmington. Holly Ridge is only about 30-35 minutes to Wilmington whereas our area is about an hour and one half.

My guess is that Wilmington would have good job opportunities, probably better than our area which is dependent on Morehead City and Jacksonville which are smaller places. We do have a very small town feel compared to the areas nearer Wilmington.

Though it is hard to make a broad generalization, we have found people in Eastern North Carolina to be very welcoming. Our area has people from all over the country and because of the tourism is very open to strangers. We moved to the area from Virginia last September, but we are native North Carolinians who have lived as far away as Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

In the Cape Carteret-Emerald Isle area we do not have so many tourists that they get in the way except at the grocery stores on the weekend. Too many people survive on tourism to complain. I would not expect the area where you are looking to be much different.

Hope that at least gets you started on information about the area. I wish I had more information for you, but our area doesn't even see the Wilmington paper. It's almost like we live on different planets.

When you are in the area looking, visit our neck of the woods. We are only an hour away. We have some good restaurants and plenty of history in Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link) and Swansboro.

Once you move down you can visit our area for the annual Swansboro Oyster Roast or the Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day Festival. They're great events and people from all over the region come for them.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: left out letter

Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,988 times
Where are you moving from? If you are moving from some where up north, this place will give you a serious case of culture shock.

It maybe cheaper but it's not worth it.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,567,416 times
Hi Everyone! I was just in Snead's Ferry, Topsail Island and Surf City last week. My brother actually lives in Snead's Ferry, he moved there last year for a teaching job in the Jacksonville schools. I don't know where you are coming from, but like the other poster said, you might be in for some culture shock. The first thing i noticed was that almost everyone lived in trailers! Not that that's a bad thing, but it was just weird seeing an area w/no zoning. Also, there really wasn't a lot to do there, just a couple restaurants, a Hardee's, Andy's and McDonalds and that was about it. There didnt' seem to be much shopping or activities in the area either. I believe there was one putt-putt course in Surf City and that was it. Topsail was beautiful and the beaches were nice, but other than that i wasn't impressed. This is coming from someone who lives in NE Ohio (the rust belt)! My bro did drive me around and i really like the area around Wilmington and Hampstead(sp?).

Also, the previous poster stated something my brother says he hears a lot in NC; that NC is cheaper than up north. Actually, that is not always the case, Ohio and PA are usually cheaper and in some cases a lot cheaper than coastal NC. I saw $200k houses in snead's ferry that would be 150k or less in ohio. Just want y'all to know that not everywhere up north is expensive.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 AM

65 posts, read 295,183 times
we are coming from p.a - my home is for sale and we were going to fl but my husband lost the job offer because we ran out of time. I want a change from the cold and snow. My friends husband and mine work for a car dealer and they were both offerded jobs ( need to sell first) anyway we both want to be near the beach. CortlandGirl79 - are they trailers or mobil homes?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,567,416 times
Cavalleri,

There were trailers, mobile homes, double-wides and manufactured homes. I mean, we have those things here, but they are usually in a park or way out in the country on an acre or so of land. Anyway, i don't want to make it sound like it was all trailers. I just seemed like you would see a decent house, then next to that, a trailer, and so on. I don't want to make it all sound bad, the areas between wilmington and Jacksonville are definitely going to start booming. I did notice about 3 or 4 new housing developments in Snead's Ferry and the houses were a lot nicer in the subdivisions. I would guess that most of these development have been build over the past few years....as they still have a good amount of lots left....so you can see the growth happening. If you want to live in one of these areas i think you should be prepared to spend at least 200k-400k dollars. I really like The North Shore Country Club area, but i'm thinking you probably can't buy anything in there for less than 400k. Good luck on your search!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,138,957 times
Ok you all I have to say something... Ummmm You should consider Oak Island,NC it is great family location and good prices on housing since the market has gone down. Now about jobs it depends on what you do but if worst come to worst you would have to travel to Wilmington it is about 45 min to 1 hour depends on the bridge. We have great towns called Oak Island,Southport and Boiling Spring Lakes. We have a great school system as far for Elementary when it comes to Middle school and High school not so great I hear. Although I heard from the locals that adminstrative people are getting switched around. Any hoot, lots of kids activities from soccor, baseball, teen center, park and rec activities for kids, dance, swim team etc.... I could go on and on. We don't have a mall but you would have to drive to Wilmington for that. Just giving you a feel about our town. Good luck finding a place. here is a site about our place southport-oakisland.com

Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
Has anyone seen the coastal community of Summerhouse in Holly Ridge nc? My Husband and I are interested in this community but would ove any additional information. We also are planning on taking a trip down to oak island palms, has anyone seen this community?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 AM

291 posts, read 766,063 times
chrisse810 - we went to the "grand opening" of Summerhouse....they had three big tents and helicopter tours of the area. It was very fancy, although Holly Ridge is anything but "fancy!" They had a dvd that showed what they plan for the area and it looked really beautiful, although I am not sure that much has started back there due to the economic times. The land is beautiful and if you are really into boating and fishing, I think it might be nice eventually. What are you looking for? First home, second home? I don't think a lot of these big new developments are doing that well with times the way they are....but if you are buying for an investment, it might be a good time to do that... You definitely need to come and look and explore the whole area from Sneads Ferry on south to Oak Island...it really depends on what you are looking for, which I couldn't tell from your post....best of luck on the search!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:34 AM

956 posts, read 3,590,509 times
We have vacationed inTopsail the last couple years. Lots of houses for sale, but very expensive compared to homes away from the beach. I think the population of Topsail drops to about 700 once you get out of tourist season. You'd probably have to drive to Wilmington for any shopping if you chose to live there. Very nice for a vacation though, very relaxed and great beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina