U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,663 times

Advertisements

There are many nice neighborhoods. It depends on your price range as to which would be your best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:53 AM

39 posts, read 111,997 times
Default Fairfield Harbour and teens

Hi All,

As a resident of Fairfield Harbour for 11 years now, I would agree that there are few activities for teens here. With lower housing costs, we are getting more younger families moving here, and I do see more young people waiting for the school bus, but the secondary school these young people attend is at least a 45 minute drive away (in Vanceboro), so they don't have the variety of friends and activities after school that they might, if you lived closer.

Contrary to one post here, the amenity fees are quite reasonable -- $695 per year. The problem here is that the owner, MidSouth, denied development along our harbour shoreline until at least 2023, took our amenity fees, and did nothing to maintain the amenities. We won a $4.5 million judgment against him, which he is appealing, so that has yet to be settled. A group of property owners have sued, claiming he had no right to collect amenity fees at all. A summary judgment on that is said to be imminent -- after several MidSouth delays. The rest of us have simply not paid our amenities fees (for 2 years now) after he shut down both golf courses. (One is reopened, but poorly maintained -- only mowed. )

A recent survey of the community showed that 57% want the BOD to actively pursue purchase of the amenities -- at a reasonable price. So far, the primary owner, Jack Shaw, a developer from Charlotte, SC, has insisted that he make a profit over his original purchase price -- clearly ridiculous, given the neglected state of our amenities. However, the two sides have yet to begin negotiations.

IF MidSouth offers a reasonable price, AND the community votes to accept it, and the fully developed business plan offered by the POA, THEN a long term loan would be negotiated for the purchase (a bank has already agreed that such a scenario could occur), and POA dues would rise $100 - $200 annually per property (They are now about $500), and amenity fees would be eliminated.

The "rumors" cited in another post are false -- designed to arouse fear in our residents. The instigators, for the most part, are on the 40% of the lots -- many of them expensive, waterfront properties -- which were designated "amenity-free" (a sales ploy by FH,Inc.). If the POA is able to acquire our amenities, their "free" status will cease, and ALL property owners will pay equally in the form of dues. The fact that, with restored amenities, our community will regain its charm and property values, with its increased attractiveness to prospective buyers means nothing to them. They insist their waterfront properties will remain valuable -- a claim they are discovering to be false as even waterfront properties are selling below value -- if at all.

In short, I dearly love living in FH. It's a beautiful, warm, friendly community but, the posts are correct; at this time, it's not a place for teens and young children. Hope this helps!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM

4 posts, read 20,339 times
I have lived in Fair Field for 8 years. I live on the now closed golf course that isnt maintained. I agree that MidSouth is at fault for failing to maintain the courses per the purchase agreement which states they were to be maintained to the level of the New Bern Country Club.

However, with a bunch of golf courses within a 30 minute drive its hard to maintain two courses, especially when both are narrow fairways and the one is crowned so even hitting in the middle of the fairway results in ball coming to rest along the edge.

The courts have ruled that the POA can not buy the amenities and for those of us that are "amenity free", we bought your homes because we dont use the amenities. I am not on the water front, nor do I have the most expensive house on the street. I do (did) live on the golf course and my lot value was $10,000 more then the lot across the street because I was on the golf course. The "club house" is tiny, the food is less then ideal and way over priced. There is a reason why the 'amenities" dont make money... poor management, poor customer service, and keen competition from other golf courses that are in better shape and cheaper to play at.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
Default Kids in fairfield harbour

A recent article in ourlocal newspaper mentions that there are 250 kids under 18 for those looking for aa area with children. This also has its down side as recently 21 propreties were vandalized by teens in the area -- not from outside as we are a gated community. I have been here 8 years and have loved it. Was orginally a retirement community and we did not have kid problems until recently when people who could not sell their houses rented them and a few families bought and moved their kids in. This is under investigation and i am sure the culprits will be caught and punished. There are many clubs within the community -- rv, yacht, fishing, gardning, and golf to mention a few. A great place to live even though just like anywhere else you will find a few trouble makers who want to keep things stirred up.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
If you are even thinking of moving to Fairfield Harbor, you are gonna have 99 problems and your son finding friends, ain't one.

I suggest most strongly that you closely read the million item, bickering back and forth, thread in this forum. You search for the thread. Several fellas with widely varying points of view on the HOA, really go at it.

It is hard to tell who the Great Satan over there is, but there surely seems to be one.

What a mess.

Too many retirees with too much time on their hands. Property values have tanked, and, well, just read the thread for yourself.

Run.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 PM

120 posts, read 184,460 times
Suggest a read of the "New Bern -- Fairfield Harbour" thread for more info on the subject.

Pete Drez

Old 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM

183 posts, read 240,981 times
I drove through the area and saw quite a few really nice homes but also quite a few looked vacant and in disrepair.Im not advocating for either side but i drove to River Bend and Trent woods and Brices Creek which gave me a more favorable feeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina