Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 PM

354 posts, read 627,397 times

Advertisements

Which of these two towns do you think is bigger, better, & why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
Wilson is definitely bigger...and if I was choosing from the two, I would choose it.

Wilson's downtown isn't THAT bad, it has some business with BB&T and is laid out fairly nicely. The Barton College area provides a nice historic element to the City. And it has expanded toward the West and Raleigh, which is an easy drive to get to. It has the Wilson Tobs at Fleming Stadium which has a rich history. The East side of town is bad, but it does have some good eastern NC BBQ places. Its also an easy commute to Greenville/ECU and the medical community there.

Goldsboro is a military town and is a little out of the way. The roads to Raleigh and Greenville are not easy drives. There is not much downtown at all (nice renovated theater) and not much to do. It will be interesting to see what happens in the Union Station area downtown once that is renovated.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:37 PM

123 posts, read 522,805 times
A lot of people really don't know much about Goldsboro but it is in the center of eastern north carolina and was established due to that fact as the main crossroads of this area. It has a nice historic downtown, some of the historic architecture is unprecedented in eastern nc, there is Greek revival, Romanesque, Queen Anne, Victorian and Italian to name a few. The downtown area contains several nice restaurants, Ed's Food & Spirit's offering great Southern cuisine, Torero's authentic mexican, Thai Garden asian fusion, The Flying Shamrock a traditional Irish pub with great food, drink and live music, The Laughing Owl great American cuisine, Railhouse 1842 great bar and Taphouse 108 both with several micro brews on tap. The newly renovated Paramount Theatre for the performing arts host a myriad of musical ,theatrical and comedic events monthly along with the NC Symphony on occasion. There is the Wayne County Museum with rotating exhibits and the Arts Council who hosts nice jazz events monthly both which are downtown. There are several festivals and events hosted annually by the city in the downtown area including the Greater Goldsboro Road Run. The city is in the midst of an extensive downtown revitalization project which will encompass about ten blocks of the cities core I think this project will boost Goldsboro even more.......I have nothing against Wilson but I choose Goldsboro.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 PM

354 posts, read 627,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
A lot of people really don't know much about Goldsboro but it is in the center of eastern north carolina and was established due to that fact as the main crossroads of this area. It has a nice historic downtown, some of the historic architecture is unprecedented in eastern nc, there is Greek revival, Romanesque, Queen Anne, Victorian and Italian to name a few. The downtown area contains several nice restaurants, Ed's Food & Spirit's offering great Southern cuisine, Torero's authentic mexican, Thai Garden asian fusion, The Flying Shamrock a traditional Irish pub with great food, drink and live music, The Laughing Owl great American cuisine, Railhouse 1842 great bar and Taphouse 108 both with several micro brews on tap. The newly renovated Paramount Theatre for the performing arts host a myriad of musical ,theatrical and comedic events monthly along with the NC Symphony on occasion. There is the Wayne County Museum with rotating exhibits and the Arts Council who hosts nice jazz events monthly both which are downtown. There are several festivals and events hosted annually by the city in the downtown area including the Greater Goldsboro Road Run. The city is in the midst of an extensive downtown revitalization project which will encompass about ten blocks of the cities core I think this project will boost Goldsboro even more.......I have nothing against Wilson but I choose Goldsboro.
Yeah I choose Goldsboro too, I like Goldsboro they have built up a lot stores down there

Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times
Wilson has 264 and 95. You're around 30min (give or take) from either Raleigh or Greenville. That in itself is good enough for me.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 PM

A lot of people think that bigger is better when it comes to cities, but that is not always true take for instance Greenville NC it has population of over 80,000 and it's counterpart Greenville SC which has just over 60,000 proper but our Greenville pales in comparison to the one in S.C. Nothing against Greenville NC I think they have a great future over there. So Wilson being bigger than Goldsboro doesn't make it better.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,081 times
Quote:
A lot of people think that bigger is better when it comes to cities, but that is not always true take for instance Greenville NC it has population of over 80,000 and it's counterpart Greenville SC which has just over 60,000 proper but our Greenville pales in comparison to the one in S.C. Nothing against Greenville NC I think they have a great future over there. So Wilson being bigger than Goldsboro doesn't make it better.
Wilson isn't better due to population, it's better because of it's geographic location. Goldsboro is an isolated, podunk town and you'll spend hours on the road to get to Raleigh. Wilson offers a much pleasant, shorter drive to Raleigh and Greenville.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Wilson isn't better due to population, it's better because of it's geographic location. Goldsboro is an isolated, podunk town and you'll spend hours on the road to get to Raleigh. Wilson offers a much pleasant, shorter drive to Raleigh and Greenville.
Both Goldsboro and Wilson are about a one hour drive to Raleigh and most people only go to Greenville for medical care and it is only forty minutes away from Goldsboro and also Goldsboro is on eastern nc main corridor highway 70. Goldsboro is the geographic center of eastern nc...forty mins from Greenville, forty mins from Rocky Mount, forty five mins to Raleigh, fifty mins from Fayetteville, fifty mins from Jacksonville and only one hour and a half from Wilmington..Goldsboro is in a great geographic location.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:16 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,081 times
Quote:
Both Goldsboro and Wilson are about a one hour drive to Raleigh and most people only go to Greenville for medical care and it is only forty minutes away from Goldsboro and also Goldsboro is on eastern nc main corridor highway 70. Goldsboro is the geographic center of eastern nc...forty mins from Greenville, forty mins from Rocky Mount, forty five mins to Raleigh, fifty mins from Fayetteville, fifty mins from Jacksonville and only one hour and a half from Wilmington..Goldsboro is in a great geographic location.
Wilson is less than 40 minutes to Raleigh via 264 (a REAL highway) which has a speed limit of at least 65 mph (if not 70 mph).

Due to multiple stop lights, Goldsboro is an hour and 15 minutes to Raleigh. The speed limit is 55 mph until you get to Smithfield. The speed limit is then 70 mph until you reach 40.

40 minutes versus 75 minutes--you do the math.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Wilson is less than 40 minutes to Raleigh via 264 (a REAL highway) which has a speed limit of at least 65 mph (if not 70 mph).

Due to multiple stop lights, Goldsboro is an hour and 15 minutes to Raleigh. The speed limit is 55 mph until you get to Smithfield. The speed limit is then 70 mph until you reach 40.

40 minutes versus 75 minutes--you do the math.
Both Selma and Clayton have bypasses now the drive to Raleigh is not 75 mins to Raleigh ,I am on that highway several times a week and arrive in Raleigh in under an hours time every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina