U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 63,843 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how my high school aged son could meet other high school aged kids in Fairfield Harbour in New Bern? Would love to move next year if my son was comfortable with the move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM

577 posts, read 1,736,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgirl View Post
Does anyone know how my high school aged son could meet other high school aged kids in Fairfield Harbour in New Bern? Would love to move next year if my son was comfortable with the move.
I would mention to you that Fairfield Harbor is 99% older folks. My dad sold his Lake Gaston Home and bought in Fairfield Two years ago on the golf coarse put his boat in Northwest marina. He likes all the senior activities because ill be honest thats all that is in there. I take my kids and they get bored, no other kids around not even at the pools. alot of retired people from the north east. Also right now there is alot of anger over the amenity fees going sky high because of the guy trying to get the assoc to by him out of the golf coarses.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM

90 posts, read 147,717 times
We are also looking to move to the New Bern area and have 1 highschool age son and 1 middle school age. Any suggestions of areas that are not retirement communities? We live in one now and the main reason we are moving is to find some friends for our 2 sons.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:14 PM

577 posts, read 1,736,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsgirl View Post
We are also looking to move to the New Bern area and have 1 highschool age son and 1 middle school age. Any suggestions of areas that are not retirement communities? We live in one now and the main reason we are moving is to find some friends for our 2 sons.
Fairfield kinda is a retirement area. I have heard Carolina Colours in Newbern is good as well as other areas more in Newbern verses out 55 towards Bayboro which is more Transplants and vacation semi retirement areas.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks NCMan

We don't want to make the same mistake we made last time. We moved to an area that we liked to vacation in and found out later that there were no kids here....well there are a few, but we want to live where there are more.

My boys (who said they would NEVER move again) are really excited about the prospect of moving to an area where there are more teens, so we are researching on the internet first, then my husband is going to take a trip and check it out.

Employment is not an issue as he is retired so we are trying to find a place where we will all enjoy living. Boating, fishing, going to the beach are also priorities. We would also like to be close to military as my husband is also retired military.

Thanks again. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Hi Tomgirl,

Does it have to be Fairfield Harbour? I would encourage you to check out other neighborhoods so you don't make the same mistake we did. Our boys have been very lonely.

As far as your son meeting other highschool students, is there something he's interested in? My sons were in Tai Kwon Do and it did allow them to meet others. Unfortunately, not a lot of organized sports here so couldn't go the sofball, basketball or soccer route.

Also, churches are a good source for friends. We were fortunate to meet the few friends my boys have at church or thru friends of theres. Also met one family at a restaurant and hit it off!!

Anyway, hope the move works out for you, whatever you decide.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 16,415 times
Lots of choices in the New Bern area. Also lots of churches. Fairfield Harbour association fees are reasonable. The amenity fees are not reasonable and are being challenged in court.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,683,610 times
Quote:
My father lives in Fairfield Harbour and my daughter has visited for days at a time....if your goal is to find other teens....that is NOT the area for you.

I don't know much about New Bern, so others will have to help you there....but I can tell you that Fairfield Harbour is not where you want to be for them. It's nice...but it's older folks.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:01 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,323 times
Quote:
I would look in Trent Woods or Brices Creek. There is nothing wrong with fairfeld, but it is not the best place for your teenager to meet people. Great place for older transplants though. Of course your kids could hang out at the club house and rec house at fairfield...lol

Old 10-06-2007, 07:42 AM

49 posts, read 250,707 times
Tomgirl, I would definatly cross the river if I had teens. I live in Carolina Colours, and there are a lot of retirees here, but there are also younger famililies, I see the school bus in the mornings. There are a lot of smaller neighborhoods on my side of town (off 70) that are not retirement communities. There is talk of a new high school in the James City area as the 2 high schools in the county now will not be able to handle all the growth in our part of town. We are 12 miles from Cherry Point, which may help, because Tricare assigned us to Cherry Point for healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina