U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 33,774 times

Advertisements

In a thread with respect to the Calabash/Little River area, it was mentioned that there were many complaints regarding Bill Clark Homes, whom we are seriously considering buying from in Sunset Beach. Can anyone be more specific as to the nature of the complaints (how serious) and whether they addressed the issues. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 AM

12 posts, read 45,460 times
Where to start? My wife is friends with a homeowner in Sunset Ridge. She and her husband regret having purchased there. Troubles started even before moving in during the building process. They have had siding problems, buckling and loose, to the point it was totally replaced. The air conditioning unit leaked through the ceiling, walls and ceiling cracks and more. Most of the neighbors report similar problems. You get what you pay for, especially from a multi state or national builder. I am currently renting a Centex home which is a very cheaply built house. The recent cold temps have the inside temp dropping to 60 degrees by morning even though the thermostat is set to 70!
There are many builders in this area that are not very quality oriented. Beware. I can vouch for two that are very good, Sunbelt Homes, owned by Charles Flynn, and Traditional Homebuilders out of Little River, SC. You will pay more for the quality but they don't compromise. Speak to any homeowner in their developments and they will have nothing bad to say about their product. Good Luck.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 AM

Golfer - Thanks for your reply. It certainly will make us further research our selection process. Interesting enough, the 2 Bill Clark developments we looked at in Wilmington, and there we spoke to many of the residents, all resulted in positive feedback. We heard only of minor repairs, that were all handled satisfactorily. This can only lead me to believe that the subcontractors hired at Sunset Ridge were most likely different from those in Wilmington, and certainly not up to their standards. I'm happy to hear of your positive experience, and will give Spring Hill a look on our next trip down.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 AM

12 posts, read 45,460 times
You may be correct about the subcontractors being used at Sunset Ridge. However, the oversight of those subcontractors is just as important. Someone on the Bill Clark payroll is responsible for overseeing the construction.
Please do look into Spring Mill Plantation on your next visit. It is west of route 17 nestled between the Meadowlands and Farmstead golf courses. The neighborhood is divided into sections. Beazer Homes is building on approximately half of the property and Traditional Homes is building in the other half divided into Aberdeen and Somerset. Aberdeen is a neighborhood of house and lot combination and Somerset is lots only, bring in your choice of custom builder. The lots in Somerset are selling for approx. $100,000 and the lots and home combination in Aberdeen are from the low $200,000's to over $400, 000. Beazer homes are below $200,000, but lots of complaints about the quality from those that live there. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 10,301 times
BillPlatform,
I would be very leary of any poster that makes negative statements about an entire community while "highly recommending" another. This guy probably has a financial interest or some other personal reason for doing so.
That being said, we have lived lived in Sunset Ridge for over 3 years and are very happy with our home. Our neighbors and others we speak to around the community have mostly good things to say about their homes as well.
Of course there are things we would like to see improved - landscaping on the walking path and nicer fountains in the pond to name a couple. But on the whole, it is a wonderful community with great people living here.
We looked at the area where the negative poster is recommending - Meadowlands Golf Club area - and Sunset Ridge is a far better location. Closer to stores, the beach, new county park, etc.
Good luck in your search and make sure to stop and talk to some folks here at Sunset Ridge to get the real scoop!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Sunsetdoggies: Thanks for the reassurance. I was a little concerned after reading the prior posts.

We stopped into Sunset Ridge about 3 week ago and spoke to numerous families, and did not hear one negative comment with respect to the construction of their homes. We loved the location and felt right at home with the people we spoke to. We're happy to say we put down a deposit, and will being signing a contingent contract shortly. Look forward to joining you as a neighbor.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billplatform View Post
In a thread with respect to the Calabash/Little River area, it was mentioned that there were many complaints regarding Bill Clark Homes, whom we are seriously considering buying from in Sunset Beach. Can anyone be more specific as to the nature of the complaints (how serious) and whether they addressed the issues. Thanks for any input.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Hi billplatform
just ran across your question and I hope you come back to read your responses. My husband and I moved here in 2008 when there were only a handfull of families here. There are over 100 here now. Yes, there are complaints about the homes here, but first, let me say they are not major problems; second, the complaints are taken care of quickly; and third, all new homes have problems. For me, I had dents in the kitchen floor when the fridge was moved into place . . . they replaced the floor. Mechanisms on the windows that release them so they fold down for cleaning were mis-aligned. They replaced every one of them. Two years after we were here, we noticed water in the overhang outside of our front door. The warranty rep from Bill Clark Homes came by to check it out, and sent someone to replace all the wood behind the siding. He asked them not to replace the siding until he inspected their work. New homes always have their problems, but the builder stands behind his work; he has a reputation to live up to. Just this week, we called someone to do a regular service to our AC/Heating system. They found some issues that needed to be acted on - we're waiting for the builder to return our call; they will send someone out to make the repair. So, yes, there are complaints, but it's the complaints that are ignored that you need to worry about . . . that doesn't happen here. I don't regret buying here or living here.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
Interested in looking at The Cottages in Ocean Isle Beach, NC being built by Bill Clark Homes. May I have feedback on his workmanship and The Cottages Community.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,221 times
Default Bill Clark homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by billplatform View Post
We are currently building in a Bill Clark community in Brunswick County. If you build with this company, keep good records and visit the site OFTEN. Many mistakes made all along the way , although they will fix them with enough encouragement. Don't expect too many bells and whistles although there are upgrades available. if you have really specific criteria, or cannot be at the site to keep track of what is going on, I would go with a custom builder.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:38 PM

383 posts, read 742,544 times
Newdream,

Can you please elaborate with examples. I find your response interesting. I was going to use Bill Clark but when it was time to sign the contract, they would not list all of the included items in the contract. They just wanted to include a brochure. My lawyer found this not acceptable and we decided to pass on using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina