U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 5,281,744 times
Can't speak to or for the rainbow crowd in New Bern, but FYI, I just came from a sold out show in Beaufort that featured Mr. Jackie Best, Beaufort resident, hair stylist, salon owner, and a female impersonator, formerly a cabaret headliner in Key West. His show was written about in the local newspaper and the proceeds went to support a local charity.

So this area is quite accepting of the Rainbow crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 AM

224 posts, read 286,323 times
I live and work in Greenville, NC. I have friends in Wilson, Greenville, etc that are long time partners, some with adopted kids. And, overall, they share that living in the area is a great experience. The South is thawing...please let us know when you B and B is open...would love to check it out!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 11,762 times
Little Dolphin and Running Norm...thanks, I appreciate your input, it sounds as if New Bern/Beaufort could well be a great place for us to live and work (and at a slightly slower pace than the one we are accustomed to in the Mid Atlantic area).
As for the religious aspects brought into this simple inquiry...I respectfully suggest that what a man or woman chooses as his/her faith is an individual choice and no amount of preaching is going to alter it. People need to accept others for who they are as individuals and members of a community and not because of their religious or sexual choices, skin color, gender, etc. I am off my soapbox and hope others will be as well and if they choose to comment, please comment only on the initial inquiry. Thanks and best to all.
ps...Norm, I will certainly let you know if we move froward and will welcome your visit.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:48 PM

572 posts, read 835,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
No, I said "hard-core churchy" which is not the same thing as "people who go to church" or even "people who are very involved in church". I know all too well about the many open-minded churches in the area and am continually pointing them out to those who claim that NC is anti-gay simply because there are a lot of churches. I actually make the same argument you are making with me, to others. I am always pointing out Pullen Memorial Baptist and Binkley Baptist, both of which were thrown out of the Southern Baptist convention due to holding same-sex commitment ceremonies. I frequently attend UUFR and ERUUF (though some don't consider Unitarian Fellowships to be "churches"). I have had positive experiences with most of the churches here in the Triangle area and point that out to people all the time. I am active in the Gay Men's Chorus and can site the churches that are always friendly and welcoming to us as venues, in addition to those above: First Presbyterian in Durham, University United Methodist in Chapel Hill, Community Church of Chapel Hill and others. Not even counting the Metropolitan Community Church whose primary congregation are gay/lesbian.

None of which is inconsistent with using the term hard-core churchy to define those who want to use their self-righteous religion to tell people who don't go to their church what they can do. If I actually thought the way you accuse me of thinking, I would have simply said "religious people" and not qualified it with "hard-core". Do you understand the meaning of "hard-core" something? I'm not even all that fond of "hard-core" gay people who seem to live and breathe their orientation and bring it to every conversation whether it related to gay people or not (just as "hard-core churchy" people will drop God or Jesus's name into a conversation having nothing to do with God or Jesus)--but I know that "hard-core" specifically means the fringe element of any group, including "hard-core churchy".

I suggest you learn the difference, semantically, between "regular [group]" and "hard-core" [group], and then examine why you were so quick to jump to a level of being "highly offended" instead of reading for comprehension.
Under what circumstances would it be un-offensive for someone to use "hard core gay" to describe a group of people? Just asking for future reference.....

Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 11 days ago)

21,922 posts, read 38,899,504 times
moderator note http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/Christmas/santa_smiley.gif (broken link)

This is topic of the thread you may disagree with someone elses opinion which is fine but please answer the topic of the thread with same post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceguy73 View Post
My partner and I (71 years together) are considering an attractive business opportunity in New Bern but are a bit concerned as to how accepting the business and residential communities will be otwards a gay male couple. We are not flamboyant, just average guys who do not flaunt their sexuality but who also do not hide the fact that we are a couple. We do as straight couples do, dine out, attend movies, concerts, social and charitable events and the like. We have always been well respected and accepted where ever we have lived and want to be active participants in any new community. We would appreciate any insight into this concern. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina