U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 26,739 times

Advertisements

We're planning on relocating from NYC to Wilmington, NC in the near future. We're particularly interested in living in the Historic Downtown area, as it is important for us to live in an area with good walkability. We have 2 young children and one on the way. We enjoy a basically quite life, although we love the outdoors and doing things with our kids (e.g., museums, parks, library). My husband and I don't go out that often, but we enjoy a nice meal at a good restaurant now and then, and a grabbing a beer at a friendly local pub/bar. Can anyone share information about living in Wilmington -- general day to day life, family-friendliness, schools, medical care, safety, etc.?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Anyone??

Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM

610 posts, read 2,755,752 times
Ok, I'll take a bite...

Do you have a job lined up? If not, do not move to Wilmington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The job market in Wilmington is HORRIBLE UNLESS you own a business or work as a doctor, dentist, or pharmacist.

Most of the jobs in Wilmington are minimum wage retail and fast food jobs.

The cost of living in Wilmington is also rather high and the average wages in Wilmington are pathetic.

So my advice is unless you have a decent job lined up and a nice pot of cash saved up, do not move to Wilmington.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Wilmington is paradise. Yes, there are some nice areas in the Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach area but a lot of other places in the US have even nicer areas with a more robust job market.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM

21 posts, read 56,649 times
Well, there's quite a few "New Yolkers" who've relocated to the Wilmington area so you could easily find someone else with a familiar sounding accent when you get homesick. The biggest complaints I've heard from NYC people seem to center around the things they left behind: lack of 24-hr convieniences and transportation, lack of sophisticated culture, lack of blah blah blah...that said, I think the historic district of Wlmg offers a young and growing family plenty, but not within walking distance: the Children's Museum, the Art Museum, the concert hall, the water front, the battleship, the beach, the ice arena, etc etc. Once again there is plenty to do taken in context of small city USA. Hope this helps some.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Thank you. We're set with supporting ourselves, although, do appreciate the heads up about the job market. Also, we certainly haven't set ourselves up believing Wilmington is "paradise". We've lived in a number of cities all around the US have simply observed that Wilmington seems to have much of what we are looking for in this period of our lives. Fortunately, neither my husband, our children, nor I have accents as, again, we've lived in a number of places other than NY are are rather good at aclimating. Thanks again for your help (??).

Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgee View Post
Thank you. We're set with supporting ourselves, although, do appreciate the heads up about the job market. Also, we certainly haven't set ourselves up believing Wilmington is "paradise". We've lived in a number of cities all around the US have simply observed that Wilmington seems to have much of what we are looking for in this period of our lives. Fortunately, neither my husband, our children, nor I have accents as, again, we've lived in a number of places other than NY are are rather good at aclimating. Thanks again for your help (??).
hi - i'm not native to wilmington and only sort of/kind of lived there off and on through another resident's property but wanted to say that I too think that wilmington has some great virtues - proximity to water with the added plus of a genuine historically-attractive downtown is cool. some delightful suburbs and some nice enough beach towns. traffic is nothing compared to the places i have lived even in the high -season months.

i'm presently doing some research on costs in wilmington compared to other localities i would consider in virginia and surrounding states. nc in general had some higher costs i thought than virginia but i want to see it on paper. wilmington does get higher insurance costs than say virginia but then again, cheaper than florida.

weather-wise, i expected warmer winters but the last two winters have been awful as they have been in most of the south. summer was deplorable but i think wilmington or at least the beaches felt better than the areas inland. some movement of air.

i do know that local governments in the surrounding small towns pay significantly less than other places i have lived. without a significantly cheaper cost of living. that i didn't get but i'm not familiar with other issues job wise or whatever.

i find that most anywhere i would consider going, there are naysayers for everyone. i figure that every place has its ups and downs - wilmington has water, sweet carolina shrimp, beautiful oak trees, great azeleas, delightful old houses and eastern carolina barbeque as well as sweet tea.....nice sunsets......what else can you ask for ?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response -- Very helpful!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
i lived downtown for a few years. i enjoyed it, but it never once struck me as a place that was ideal to raise kids. Even if you live in a $2 million mansion, you still see vagrants wandering around, and the schools are probably the worst in the county. If you live in a bad area of downtown, you have gang shootings, drugs, and hookers. The bad parts really aren't far from the expensive parts, either.

http://mugshots.starnewsonline.com/ <---- browse the mugshots and crime map to get a feel for the community

A beer and a bite to eat are definitely things you can find downtown, or in most of Wilmington for that matter. However, to me, a quiet life is one in the middle of the woods. I'm not sure where you're coming from exactly.

Last edited by le roi; 01-14-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 09:37 PM

42 posts, read 80,895 times
Im moving to Hampstead soon and its only a few miles north of Wilmington and ive herd the School systems in the Topsail District are Point on. people say they are the best schools around for kids.
I dont have kids but its nice to know that.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,008 times
My wife and I moved from NYC to Wilmington 16 years ago to marry and start a family. We have not ever regretted the move and find it a great place to bring up family. Beautiful beaches, great dining, theatre, UNC-Wilmington college academia. Of course we enjoy the week-end getaways to NY on the direct flight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina