U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,361 times

Advertisements

We have a guest cottage that my wife has been letting her friends and guest use. We have decided to rent the cottage. The first problem is that I would rather have the same person or couple year round and my wife wants to rent by the week or weekend. Second problem is that it is isolated out in the country. There is a large creek to east and about ninety acres of grass land to the west. There is a six lot subdivision on the creek next to the cottage but only three homes with one full time resident and the closest small town is ten miles. I think that it will be difficult to find someone who wants to be that isolated and since we live about two hundred feet from the cottage I feel that we all would need to feel comfortable with each other. If my wife wins out then it will not matter so much because it will only be for a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,049,419 times
I think that weekend or weekly rentals may be out of the question. If you're out in the middle of nowhere then how do you find the types of people that might be interested in driving to the middle of nowhere for no other reason than it's the middle of nowhere?

Do you get what I saying? Where is the demand for that type of thing where you are? What would draw people 52 weeks a year?

Rent it with a yearly lease.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,363,131 times
Richard Martin is correct.
Another variable to consider is that although short term rentals tend to bring in more money-They also tend to cost you more money too. Remember-It's your property. You decide the rentability of the prospect.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,361 times
Thanks for the input guys! The guest that have stayed in the cottage so far have driven to Beaufort for dining out and a little out-and-about. They did seem to enjoy using the kayaks and sitting on the dock here at the property and there is a coffee shop at the head of the road. I guess we would have to try and find renters who were real nature lovers. I think that most people would rather be in town or right on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina