U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 AM

175 posts, read 164,922 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband has been offered a job where he will be overseeing several businesses in New Bern, Greenville, Rocky Mount, Wilson and Washington. We have a daughter that is special needs physically, so we do need a good hospital nearby and I have returned to college, so a college nearby would be ideal also.

We like the outdoors and like to hike, picnic, visit parks, and we also enjoy the theater and other arts. We are not into the night scene. We currently live in Greenville, SC and LOVE it. However with this job, his pay would almost double and with bonuses possibly triple. Our daughter (7) participates in dance, Girl Scouts (she is a second year Daisy), karate and gymnastics. We also are active in our church.

I know Greenville, NC has good medical facilities and that is our number one priority for our daughter (she has VACTERLS Association, an acronym for multiple birth defects). How are the schools? Our daughter would finish first grade here in Greenville, SC and we would join my husband this summer (he would head up this spring). I would also be attending college but I am not a medical major of any sort.

How safe is Greenville NC? I have been looking at real estate in Winterville and Greenville. Is 72,000 a year enough to live comfortably? We have no interest in keeping up with the Joneses, I have a 2009 Corolla GTS almost paid for and my husband has an 2007 F150 completely paid for, the houses we have been looking at are around 2000 square feet and around 190,000.

Are there things for families to do in Greenville, NC? My understanding is that if we want to do major shopping or see a musical or ballet, we would need to go to Raleigh. Are there nice parks in Greenville, NC? Any local art galleries or museums? Coffee shops? Local theater and bands? Festivals? Other activities for families or children?

Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,799,614 times
moderator note http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/Christmas/santa_smiley.gif (broken link)
Thread relocated from the state forum
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 AM

451 posts, read 1,694,799 times
You will find numerous threads about Greenville, NC in the coastal forum. Greenville SC has an impressive downtown that Greenville NC would be envious of. Greenville NC is much closer to the coast though if you like going to the beach or like water sports.

72k a year is plenty for Greenville NC - 200,000 should get you a really nice three bedroom house here with a room over the garage, and at least a quarter acre if not more.

Crime is bad in spots, but Winterville is pretty safe.

Both cities are about the same size city-wise, but Greenville SC has a larger metro area and probably has more amenities.

Of course, Greenville NC has a major university right in town (ECU) and a large community college, so continuing education for you should not be a problem, especially if you want to go into nursing.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM

My major is not a medical field. This time around I am working on a Social Work degree.

We are originally from Panama City Beach, Fl. We became sick of the beach and tourists. However, I hear the Outer Banks are beautiful. We moved from there to Greenville, SC in Aug of 04. I have to say we really love Greenville, SC (actually we live in Simpsonville, SC). However this job is a great opportunity for our family, so if we can find a reasonable place to live, we will be moving to NC.

I have read some threads here and I am worried. It sounds like Greenville, NC is crime ridden, with nothing to do but eat fast food and go to bars. And bad schools to top it off.

I am thinking my husband may have a longer commute so we can live someplace decent....closer to Raleigh??

Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM

According to city-data's own information, both Greenville's have a similar crime rate.

There are not many cities between Greenville and Raleigh...Wilson is the only larger one and I would personally pick Greenville over Wilson.

Be careful of what you read on these message boards...there are people who think they live in a great area and then there are people who will trash the very same place. A lot of it has to do with each person's personal happiness.

Greenville NC is typical of lots of smaller southern cities...crime ridden spots with a poor population and then rich areas nearby because it is a small city.

As for schools, from what I hear it's all about the school itself...Pitt County has some good schools so you want to get in that certain district. I would recommend the Eastern Pines area or Winterville if ya'll decide to move.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Glad you made that point, Lithuania. I feel perfectly safe, heck, we have never even locked our doors in the almost seven years we have lived here in Greenville, SC. (I think there is a joke about having security lights on but not locking the doors )

My husband is heading up the first of the year to check out Winterville and Greenville. What schools are good in that area?

I also agree about reviews in general. I can't tell you how many times I check reviews and half are horrible and half are excellent. I just want to make sure our daughter is well taken care of--medically, academically, and socially.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:21 PM

228 posts, read 523,706 times
Hi! After five years living in Greenville, I have been on both ends of the spectrum...positive and negative. But, my challenge is I am part of a demographic that has to work a little harder to have their needs met in Greenville.

For college kids, this is a great town. The town loves ECU and takes good care of the students. Football game days are a sight to see in this town, for example! :-)

But, had my girlfriend's ( soon to be fiance ...hope she says yes!!!) work not taken her back to Virginia, I was very much planning on planting my roots here.

For a family with kids, this is a great town! Your daughter will have excellent medical care in Greenville. The hospital is first rate! There is an active Brownies community...my CHO runs one of the troops, we have great gymnastics programs and dance studios...a little girl I have been coaching for five years in soccer takes part in both. And, there are many opportunities for karate, etc. So, for kids, Greenville has a multitude of opportunities.

There are "good" schools and not so good schools in town. And, many of the girls I coach attend St Peters, a very good, private Catholic school in town. Worth considering for your daughter.

There are parks in town and the greenways are being extended. I can find nature when I want it and Little Washington gets me close to the water...not to mention the Tar River runs right through Greenville.

For the arts, ECU really has first class opportunities, both from student productions and professional acts. College of Fine Arts & Communication

And, for housing, yes Winterville is great. But, I would also look around Lynndale in Greenville. It is where my girlfriend lived before she moved. We loved that neighborhood! There are all ranges of homes, townhomes, etc.

And, Greenville has Tipys Teapot, a great coffee, food, used bookstore...and a multitude of other great places you will enjoy that do not involve clubbing.

So, truth be told, if my girlfriend was still here, I would be staying for good. I will be sad to leave, when I have to go. My loss will be your gain.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Good post, RunningNorm...I do agree that this area has just about any type of medical care facility that you can think of.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:08 PM

3,324 posts, read 5,216,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
Good post, RunningNorm...I do agree that this area has just about any type of medical care facility that you can think of.
One of the perks of having a medical school and the only Level 1 Trauma Center east of Raleigh

But I agree on what the previous posters said. It is hard to judge a city by message boards alone. You'll either have people who hate the city or love the city (just like with anything else). So there isn't much balance in the debate.

With your daughter, living in/near Greenville is a must. I'm sure Wilson has a fine hospital for minor stuff, but I would never go there. ECU has a School of Social Work offering bachelors and masters and plenty of need for that type of work in the community.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 PM

324 posts, read 502,226 times
From the towns you listed, the only one with a medical center and subspecialties likely to feel comfortable taking care of your daughter with VACTERL is Pitt County in Greenville. If you lived in Wilson, New Bern, Rocky Mount, etc, for anything beyond routine care or a simple illness, she would be sent to Greenville. If you end up living in Greenville, NC, PM me for pediatrician recommendations--I know all of them really well.

ECU is the local university for the area and should be able to offer you the coursework that you need to continue your education. The university also offers a lot of plays and performing arts, otherwise you'd have to go to Raleigh for culture.

Schools are just okay, especially in the younger ages. I think the high school (Greenville Rose) is pretty good actually for a public school. At least it was years ago when I was growing up.

I lived in Greenville for 8 years. It's not the safest town in the world, but if you live in the right areas and use common sense (don't walk around downtown late at night, etc) you should be fine. Winterville would be a good choice to live if safety is an issue.

I lived very comfortably in Greenville on a salary less than $72k, especially if you are almost done with car payments. Real estate is pretty cheap there.

Greenville has had a lot of development in the 10 years since I first moved there, including restaurants and shopping, so a lot of things are now available in Greenville that previously weren't.

There are some art galleries and coffee shops downtown and city parks scattered throughout. Not sure about museums. There is an active music scene downtown as well.

Good luck with things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina