Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 PM

123 posts, read 201,729 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself and our 3 year old son live in NJ right now. I am a NC native and my husband loves the area but in the past it just hasnt been reasonable to move there because he had a good job. He was laid off in December and now we are considering our options. We want to move to NC if we can find him a job. He is a marine pipefitter with some welding experience. Does anyone know anyone who might be hiring for his type of work?

He also has experience in some building trades like duct work, sheetrock. He also has learned how to run a forktruck. He would like a position making $15 or more dollars if possible. Please help!!!

We already looked at monster and the local news papers that just redirect us to a job search website like monster. So someone please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
you can check Craigslist, but the job front here right now is pretty poor.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
It depends on what your spouse can do. There are actually a lot of unfilled jobs in Eastern Carolina and a shortage of qualified applicants. Most people say there isn't any work here but since they don't have a clue as to what they're doing they don't know where to look.

Start here -->> Manufacturing Jobs, Employment in Greenville, NC | Indeed.com

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM

The thing about my husband is.. he knows a little about a lot of things. He is mostly experienced in different construction trades. He can do a little welding but would need some training. He would love to continue to work with ships or boats if he could find something. but richard you are absolutely correct in that i have no idea where to look!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
If you're looking for marine construction, the Newport News area of Virginia would be a better option.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Unfortunately, I was just reading seomthing about jobs in NC that says the construction industry has been hit the hardest of any.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
You posted this in the coast al forum. Is there a specific area you are trying to live? Though construction jobs are down in the state overall, there are bright spots. I know a guy who who makes $18/hr doing construction in Jacksonville. There are more jobs on the coast than people think. Just, as a previous poster stated, a lack of qualified applicants, which is actually leading to a lot of out of state hires. There have been several posts in the last six months from people who are moving to the area to work at one of the military installations or with their contractors.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
If you're looking for marine construction, the Newport News area of Virginia would be a better option.
Northrop Grumman shipyard is on the list of places he intends on applying but we really want to try and go to NC because I seriously miss my home

Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
You posted this in the coast al forum. Is there a specific area you are trying to live? .
My family lives in Jacksonville and New Bern so I am hoping to be in the Jacksonville, Wilmington, Cape Carteret, New Bern, Morehead City

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Then you are better off than most at finding employment. I'll find out specifically what construction company my friend works for and send you a DM if their hiring. You also might want to check out usajobs. As well as the MCCS pages for Cherry Point and Lejeune. Try to network through your parents or any friend you ahve in the area. Nepotism is defintiely alive and well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina