Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM

10 posts, read 73,256 times

Advertisements

Our family is new to NC this year (Durham) and we are planning a summer vacation for the Wilmington area. We are looking for a place that is quiet and relaxed but also close to activities that young children would enjoy in case of rain. Would Topsail or Kure be a better fit? My impression is that Topsail is quiet but is a significant drive to the activities of Wilmington (i.e. aquarium). But I'm worried that Kure may be overcrowded in June.

We have vacationed in Duck in the past and that felt like a good speed for us.

Thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandapanda1 View Post
We are looking for a place that is quiet and relaxed but also close to activities that young children would enjoy in case of rain.
I think it depends on the age of your children. The aquarium is probably more appropriate to middle school kids. What about bringing indoor board games and books if it rains? Furthermore, last summer had very little rain which lasted only briefly. I would not worry about Topsail being too quiet.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM

31 posts, read 114,358 times
I would say that the differences are more than just pace. I think Kure Beach may be a bit more expensive than Topsail to begin with.

I have to disagree that the aquarium is more geared for middle schoolers...my daughter is 3 and MANY parents we know take their young kids to the aquariums to their young childrens delight. We have taken her to both Ft Fisher and Pine Knoll Shores 4 times in the last 2 years.

Which leads me to another difference between the two beaches...Kure Beach has more to do right there for little ones, but Topsail is better situated to explore both north and south. With the "more to do" at Kure Beach, it also is a little more built up.

Kure Beach has more of a resort vibe, IMO. Sandy beaches with hotels and businesses along a strip.

Topsail is, well...different (and we like it that way!) I can speak better to Topsail as we live here and have only visited Kure Beach for day trips.

Topsail is a funky collection of old and new. There are tons of houses and no main drag so to speak. The bulk of "activity" will be in Surf City. The only off beach activities for small kids will be mini golf and an arcade. Across the swing bridge on the mainland portion of Surf City and Holly Ridge, they are constructing a small movie theater and expanding some entertainment services.

The Turtle Hospital is a pretty interesting place to visit, too.

To the north end of the island, there are no businesses save for a small convenience store (North Topsail Beach) but across the bridge in Sneads Ferry to the mainland, there are some fun shops to check out including the Turtle Factory which little kids LOVE and Jingle Bells. If I remember correctly, the Turtle Factory started doing activities and classes last summer but I did not participate so I am not certain what age group they were for.

The southern portion of Topsail Island is Topsail Beach. There are a couple of nice restaurants and shops there and a museum. Other than that, there is nothing to do but enjoy the beach and your family!

Topsail isn't slower paced, but it may be a little less polished than Kure Beach.

I do agree with the previous poster that board games and other family activities are a good idea just in case. Not that it helps if it rains, but Topsail has a couple of playground/parks, too.

If you really need outside activty, depending on where you are on the island, Jacksonville is 25-40 minutes north and Wilmington is 25-40 minutes south. Jacksonville has a Mall and a bouncey play place. Wilimington has the downtown, riverfront, a Mall with a carosel and a Childrens Museum. And while we use both of those cities frequently living here, I'll bet you could happily wile away the hours on the beach and not have to think twice about going in to either Jax or Wilmington.

Either way, hope you have a great beach vacation. Both locations are lovely - just different.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANonyMs View Post
but across the bridge in Sneads Ferry to the mainland, there are some fun shops to check out including the Turtle Factory which little kids LOVE and Jingle Bells.
There is the Shark Attack, which is a store with a gigantic shark model outside, where its mouth encloses the door. Get your pictures taken there. In the summer there is frequently a collection of rides parked next door.

Thanks, AnonyMs, for being so helpful.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 AM

31 posts, read 114,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There is the Shark Attack, which is a store with a gigantic shark model outside, where its mouth encloses the door. Get your pictures taken there. In the summer there is frequently a collection of rides parked next door.

Thanks, AnonyMs, for being so helpful.
How could I have forgotten Shark Attack!? We drive past it every single day and it still took me more than an hour to convince my 3 year old to go stand inside...that is a rainy day activity right there!!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,416 times
Topsail, on the basis that it has a better beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina