Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to New Bern or somewhere close. We are intrigued by the fishing and small town amenities. Are there any good seafood markets, or restaurants? Barbeque? The smaller mom and pop places are the best for us. Good public beach nearby? Is there a good internet service? I dont really care about shopping and night life. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
IMO

Best BBQ:
Moore's BBq
Moore’s Olde Tyme Barbeque
Moore's Barbecue - New Bern | Urbanspoon
Moore's Barbeque, New Bern - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Best Seafood:
Friday's 1890
Friday's 1890 Seafood & BBQ - New Bern | Urbanspoon

Best Brunch:
The Flame
The Flame Catering and Banquet Centre, Eastern North Carolina, Weddings, Event Planning, Sunday Brunch
Flame Restaurant - New Bern | Urbanspoon
The Flame Catering and Banquet Centre, New Bern - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Best Restaurant:
The Chelsea
The Chelsea - Restaurant & Catering
The Chelsea: A Restaurant & Publick House, New Bern - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Chelsea - New Bern | Urbanspoon

Best Ice Cream:
Cow Cafe
Cow Cafe - New Bern | Urbanspoon
Cow Cafe

Best Beach:
Flanners Beach (on the river)
Neuse River (Flanners Beach) campground photo || Tripleblaze.com Camping & Hiking
Neuse River (Flanners Beach) Campground Reviews || Tripleblaze.com Camping & Hiking

Internet (No opinion):
CenturyLink, formerly Embarq - New Bern North Carolina Area: Local Phone Service, High Speed Internet DSL & Dish Network Satellite TV
Suddenlink Communications
Home | Time Warner Cable | East (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/ - broken link)

This is just New Bern, expand out to Havelock (Crabby Patty's - Havelock, NC) or Morehead City (El's Drive-In - Morehead City, NC) there's even more to choose from. There's more in New Bern for that matter. I really miss Berne restaurant, though

Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
There are lots of other GREAT restaurants (Morgan's grill, Rib Eyes, Persimmons, the Italian place on Glenburnie, and some pretty good Mexican, too) besides the ones listed, and when you count MHC there are even more. Of course, the Chelsea is special!

I think fishing if very disappointing in New Bern. The rock fishing is pretty consistent, but trout, reds, and flounder are all better off further downstream nearer the coast, down below Oriental. Water quality in the Neuse at New Bern (where the river flow and the ocean flow kind of meet, and the water sits here, as well as the the inflow of fresh water, hurts fishing. While you can certainly catch fish here, and even I have caught reds, trout and flounder, if fishing was my prime reason for moving, I would go on down the road to MHC, Swansboro, Beaufort or maybe Newport.

New Bern does have the best Medical facilities, though, if that is at all an issue.

Good Luck.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 PM

21 posts, read 61,920 times
Thanks MacJr82 that's a nice list you compiled.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 AM

47 posts, read 152,679 times
Well,

If you like ANY kind of night life, diverse shopping or even an inkling of cosmopolitan atmosphere... New Bern is NOT the place for you!

I have been here for a year and while I would rate it as "OK" New Bern - lacks a lot.

If you HAVE to move here stay away from the city proper. The taxes are high, water and electric rates are ridiculous for the services rendered. Move instead to a "township" where at least the tax rates are lower.

Huumm... can I say anything nice? OK, the downtown area is "quaint" - however, it is surrounded by "projects" which detract from the over all feel of the town.

Crime is low. Don't listen to those who would say otherwise, unless you LIKE to hang in the ghetto, you will find what you seek.

The locals don't like anyone who isn't from "here".

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't move here.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,879 times
Morehead City is where you might consider....Fishing galore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina