Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,438 times

Advertisements

Hope if i get this job in wilmington, NC i will be looking forward to move there and get an apartment. Can anyone tell me the best places and the SAFEST places to live in Wilmington? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Moderator note: http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/maxmoo/Funny%20Pics/Decor%20Smileys/xmas-smiley-035-1.gif (broken link)

Thread relocated from the state forum

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,414 times
Don't hope to get a job here. The taxes are crazy, the traffic is horrible, the utilities are expensive and the city does nothing to fix any of the real problems. They keep raising taxes on everything. The utilities are poorly run and overly expensive. But the local government still manages to give themselves raises. I've lived here all my life and have seen it get worse and worse. Now, I can't wait to move out of the county. And don't think you won't be affected if you don't own property. People who don't own property suffer the increased sales taxes, costs of utilities and taxes and fees those and on everything else. Ever since 15 years ago when someone said this was a nice place to live, the place has become a nightmare. They tax the citizens so they can give tax breaks to businesses to come into the area. But these businesses haven't really helped anything. No matter how much revenue is generated, they spend it and want more. There's always a shortfall. Then they tax us some more. And when that isn't enough, they annex county residents into the city so they are forced to pay city taxes. Then when you move out of the city, they expand city services out into the county and then annex more. This city is a money hungry monster and unless you want to be taxed, feed and fined to death, you should stay away.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 32,393 times
Don't come unless you have a job. Wilmington is a tourist town - most jobs are retail or service jobs. If you are looking for long term career growth, find another city. As for safety, most of Wilmington is safe. The majority of crime is in downtown. There are breakins and theft but not many major crimes. We are from the DC region. When we came here we were amazed at how few murders and shooting stories were on the news each night.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 59,996 times
Okay, I'm going to try to actually be helpful, rather than do my best to scare you away by painting Wilmington as The Twelfth Plane of Suffering (where nobody has a job because there aren't any at all!).

Blitz1030 is right in that most of Wilmington is very safe. That being said, there are some areas I'd avoid: most of Princess Place Dr, and certain areas downtown, such as Dawson or Wooster streets. Certainly N. 30th st.

But there aren't many apartments in those areas anyway. What part of town is your job in? How close to the beach do you want to live? What's your price range? You should be able to find an apt in a safe area in most parts of town.

A couple of examples: I've lived at Mandeline Place (near monkey junction), and at Wimbledon Chase (near UNCW). Both are very nice, and very safe.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,458 times
I am also moving to Wilmington this summer. I am a single mom with 2 children, 10 and 8. We would love to be as close to the beach as possible. I am just starting my job search. I currently work as a paraprofessional in our school district. Have been in this field for 12 years. No degree, but lots of experience and training. Good schools are very important and, of course, a safe area. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,977 times
I currently live in Wilmington with my husband and son. If you do not have a degree, please do yourself a favor and make sure you have a job before you get here. Everyone is fighting for jobs and experience will not help you. If you come down here without a support system you will also have a harder time. The job market is very difficult everywhere, but just a tab bit more in this area. Living by the beach will cost you a little extra. We live on the North side so that we can avoid the hustle and bustle of traffic. There are a great many activities to do and the weather is fairly nice. ALOT of humidity. Wilmington is fairly safe, people are just a little pissy down here.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,912 times
100yrs2liv

Hi,
I am single too with two kids 10 and 12! I am thinking of moving there too!. Im also self taught in the bookkeeping business admin field-13 years experience. We're from NY now living in Gettysburg PA. I'm looking for an apt in Wilmington near the water. We've been inland for a year now and I'm getting tired of it. Email me if you want! We can exchange stories and info. newyawkaah@yahoo.com

Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 AM

16 posts, read 50,173 times
We've been in Wilmington since this past June and really like it, but that is easier for us since we're retired and picked this city based on criteria important to us, but not so important to younger people with families. We wanted to live near the coast in a big enough city to provide an airport, university, art scene, hospital, nice people, and decent weather. We found all that here. Like most beach communities, this is not an inexpensive place to live. Taxes are higher than they were in northern Virginia, but the utilities seem to be about the same. We've always been careful with consuming energy so that makes a difference. The people are terrific, have encountered wonderful people in the stores and restaurants. Wherever you go, you do have to have a job first. Since we're retired, that was not on our list.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,535 times
I'm also moving to Wilmington. I'm from a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. I have 2 girls, 17 and 13.
I know everyone is saying, " Have a job BEFORE you move", but I'm a career server. I serve at a 4 star fine dining restaurant now. From what I've heard, there are a LOT of nice upscale restaurants there.
Am I correct?
If this is in fact correct, then I'm not worried about finding employment. Plus, I have enough saved for 2 months of rent, utilities, car payment, food etc. to get us by. I can't imagin that I could not find a serving job in 2 months.
I'm also looking for a safe neighborhood fairly close to the beach. I'd be willing to drive about 30 mintues to work. I'm from the suburbs, so I'd like something with that same feel. You know, a mall, fast food, retail stores, convience stores, restaurants, bars, salons, parks, etc.

I'm looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath (or 1/2 bath) apartment or rental house that accepts dogs ( I have 2 small dogs). My credit isn't the best since I have a bankruptcy. I will NOT live in a ghetto, so please don't point me in that direction.
Based on my criteria, can anyone provide me with some useful feedback?
You can email me also, trust4534@yahoo.com. Jennifer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina