U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM

103 posts, read 851,959 times

Advertisements

"Sometimes it's not how much money you make but what you do with the money that you do make."

Now that is a quote that I highly concur! If you like Wilmington, then move here if you like. I love it here, but I think it is getting congested. It IS a great place to live. There are some issues with every town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
it is a good idea to have a job before coming but
to state that there are only two classes of people in wilmington is
just a plain LIE.
No, it's not a lie. You are either rich or poor.

Wilmington is OVERRATED! It's nothing more than some southern coastal city that doesn't have much to offer other than the beach bum lifestyle. The city and area does have some potential, but for the most part the local government doesn't want to change anything.

For example, the county and city gov't should be up in Raleigh lobbying for a better, more advanced seaport. If you improve the seaport, you will most likely attach companies and industries to the area which will in turn create more jobs. But then again, with the state budget deficit, I doubt anything will happen, if ever.

Corruption is also a big problem in Wilmington. I guess it's not as bad as the corruption in places like NYC and NJ, but it's alive and well in good ole Wilmington. When I was in Wilmington I didn't trust the mayor or any of his cronies at city hall.

Please don't misunderstand me. If you want to move to Wilmington, then go ahead and move. I don't have a problem with anyone that wants to move there. I just want everyone to know what they should expect when they arrive there.[/quote]

I don't live in NC but my daughter does and I have quite a few friends there. My daughter lives near Wilmington and my friends all live in Wilmington. Based on these people I believe you are way off and for some reason a bitter person. The friends of mine are all middle class families and all have nice homes. Without knowing you there certainly seems to be something wrong with you and your attitude.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:59 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The city and area does have some potential, but for the most part the local government doesn't want to change anything.

For example, the county and city gov't should be up in Raleigh lobbying for a better, more advanced seaport.
I'm pretty sure that they are.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 AM

27 posts, read 64,033 times
If you think Wilmington is overrated, you surely need to try a few more places then. Stuck in Maryland here for many years, worst traffic congestion, longest commutes, crime in city of Baltimore is 2nd worst in US, and taxes thru the roof. Plus our utility rates doubled in last few years.
I think I will take Wilmington anytime.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

364 posts, read 552,591 times
HeeHa, I thought you moved to China. I'm sure you have better things to do there than post the same old diatibes about Wilmington. Most of us are very happy here.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,421 times
Refined gold
My family and I are planning to move to Wilmington this june. I have visited the area several times this past year and I have two children that attend UNCW...both juniors. I have found the people to be very friendly, and helpful. Sure there are good and bad everywhere..poor and rich..friendly and unfriendly...But I chhose to remain positive no mater what the situation or circumstance..What I would like to know is. what are the best schools..middle and high....where are the best areas to live? range from 165.000to 250.000 ... where are the best places to rent...homes or apartments.... II need 4 bdrms..prefer5.. we have six kids. I will be in town to start my search and the end of this month..Any positive helpful suggestions.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,211 times
Well, in my opinion, if all of the people who think so little of Wilmington would move away, it would definitely help with the "crowding" and "traffic" issues I've read so much about on several of these threads! Just saying

And as far as telling people to make sure they have a job lined up before they move, well....DUH! Who in their right mind would relocate without lining up employment?!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM

5,875 posts, read 8,836,161 times
I just wish we had good Chinese food.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,279,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I just wish we had good Chinese food.

Me, too! I haven't had decent Chinese food in years.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,421 times
Thanks for the threads......My family and I are still looking for employment as well as housing. I think that we have found a few possibilities near Ashley Hs.......Is that a good area to live in? Have filled out more than 60 applications online along with cover letters and resemes.. but still no response....Don't know if the information is really getting through. Will be there for family reunion this Labor day weekend. Hope to resolve something by then. Any suggestions. Work is work...... Refined Gold..........email.......ptrlld61@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina