U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 PM

929 posts, read 1,487,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I have noticed a lot of people on this forum are interested in moving to Wilmington but I don't think everyone understands the "dangers and risks" of moving there.

Wilmington has and will always be a big retiree destination. All of the rich retirees from up North move down to Wilmington to build million dollar homes in upscale neighborhoods like Landfall. The city itself pretty much caters to the retiree population.

Wilmington has a large disparity between the rich and poor. You are either filthy rich or you are on welfare living in section eight housing. There really isn't much of a middle class population in Wilmington. Throughout the state of NC, Wilmington has the highest percentage of people living in section eight housing.

The cost of living in Wilmington is high and it is actually higher than the Raleigh area. Even though the cost of living is rather high, the average wages in the area are low, I mean LOW unless you are working in a professional field like medicine, law, or you have your own business.

Don't expect to move to Wilmington without a job lined up and find work ASAP. If you are lucky, and I will reiterate lucky, you will most likely find a job that pays $8/hr and you will fight with with your co-workers to get a 40 hr work week. You can forget about any type of benefits.

Yes, are a few and let me reiterate that again, a FEW, high paying jobs in the Wilmington area, but unless you have "connections" and you have 25 yrs of experience and a Masters or PhD, you won't be able to land one of those high paying jobs.

Although there are some nice sections of Wilmington, the city itself is not paradise. There are some run-down ugly looking sections of the city and the crime rate is high too.

Wilmington is also a "backwards" city. There are some educated folks in the area, especially around UNCW, but for the most part a lot of people are not really that educated and do not like outsiders.

So to sum up what I just said, don't move to Wilmington unless you have a decent paying job lined up!!!! If you don't, you will regret it. Let me say that again since a lot of you think Wilmington has so many jobs waiting to be filled. DO NOT MOVE TO WILMINGTON UNLESS YOU HAVE A DECENT PAYING JOB LINED UP!!
TOTALLY agree with everything the OP stated. Lived there two years. I thought it was going to be totally different than how it was, and that I'd enjoy it WAY more, even settle there for the long haul. I was disappointed. I was shocked at how high the cost of living was, and how LOW the wages were. I did find the crime rate to be rather high, and there to be some "backwards" aspects to the city. There is a lot of nice, fun, beautiful stuff to see and do, but I was too exhausted and busy working two jobs trying to pay my bills to enjoy anything.

I LOVE Wilmington as a weekend destination. It's only two hours from Raleigh, and I still have friends there. I have more fun visiting on weekends than I did when I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:48 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,649,473 times
Agree with all of the ops comments. We contemplated moving there and what shocked me the most was the poor roadway layouts. There is not a real highway there. We had to wait through multiple light changes at several intersections. Its definetely not a place I would not want to live full time.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM

27 posts, read 63,703 times
Unfortunately I dont have a choice, as I am moving just outside of Wilmington to care for my aging parents. I am scared as heck as to how we are going to make it but know my parents are not going to allow us to falter. Working hard to pool some money together here in the next 6-12 months until we make that move. Then it will be us on a wing and a prayer that we are able to keep our head above water somehow.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 13,713 times
All the hating on Wilmington is really stupid...

Comments made about the job market are very true.. but it is just like any other desirable place to live in the United States that isn't a city over 500k.

Comments about the crime are flat out disingenuous... There are elements of crime in Wilmington but they are definitely separated into small pockets of the town (mostly a few blocks above the waterfront/downtown area) No person in their right mind would be caught dead in any of these areas for any reason other than straight up buying crack or heroin. Of course around the college campus bars you are going to have dumbass drunk kids getting in fights and stuff too.. but for the most part crime is not bad or really noticable at all in my opinion. But I am sure if you wanted to find it you would have no problem searching it out.

Wilmington is a really fun city to live in... more so for a young couple or a single person than for a family I would say. With that being said, it is a pretty good place to raise a family as well because of the proximity to different things to do (acquarium, parks, state parks, waterways, rivers, sounds, beaches, ocean, cool historic landmarks, possibly the neatest downtown area of any city in NC) Sports abound in the area as well, which is always something great for kids.. and there are also lots of artistic things going on in town to get your kids into. It wouldn't be my absolute first choice among all places in the Universe to live with a family and kids, but it isn't very far down the list at all.

Got any questions you want me to answer? Feel free to message me!

To all those moving to Wilmington, and North Carolina in general, Welcome! Just be prepared to adjust to the laid back way of living down here and dont come with attitude expecting people to change their ways just to satisfy you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina