U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Clemmons,NC
22 posts, read 65,524 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

First off let me tell you this
I have been a CNC Machinist for 18 Yrs for various Aerospace Companies
Frisby AeroSpace (Clemmons,NC)
B.E. Aerospace(Winston Salem,NC)
Advanced Turbines (Rural Hall,NC)

All resulting in Layoff

My Wife Has Worked For Same Publishing Company For 10 Years Now
Youve probably seen her work in yours or your kids yearbooks
JOSTENS(Winston-Salem,NC)

Now My Questions
I guess ill just throw right out what i would like to know.

1.G.E.--I have been told by many many locals with my exp. this is the place to try.Problem is i have had absolutly no luck Contacting Anyone At G.E. for info. Is there some inside Information anyone can offer? Payscale?

2.Corning-- Have info here anyone know the pay scale??

3. Any More Suggestions for a good CNC Machinist?


AS FOR THE WIFE

she has loads of experience in publishing Any suggestions for her?

Now With Jobs Out of the Way.

Want to live as close to beach as possible with no crime rate and cheap?

OK i know this is impossible but average it all out and get back to me ok?

Is there a good way to make any extra mony besides waitressing or stripping?

Anything at all we get very bored and need things to do and we would rather make money while we do it.
Thanx Guys
Later RANDYY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
122 posts, read 429,382 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyy View Post
First off let me tell you this
I have been a CNC Machinist for 18 Yrs for various Aerospace Companies
Frisby AeroSpace (Clemmons,NC)
B.E. Aerospace(Winston Salem,NC)
Advanced Turbines (Rural Hall,NC)

All resulting in Layoff

My Wife Has Worked For Same Publishing Company For 10 Years Now
Youve probably seen her work in yours or your kids yearbooks
JOSTENS(Winston-Salem,NC)

Now My Questions
I guess ill just throw right out what i would like to know.

1.G.E.--I have been told by many many locals with my exp. this is the place to try.Problem is i have had absolutly no luck Contacting Anyone At G.E. for info. Is there some inside Information anyone can offer? Payscale?

2.Corning-- Have info here anyone know the pay scale??

3. Any More Suggestions for a good CNC Machinist?


AS FOR THE WIFE

she has loads of experience in publishing Any suggestions for her?

Now With Jobs Out of the Way.

Want to live as close to beach as possible with no crime rate and cheap?

OK i know this is impossible but average it all out and get back to me ok?

Is there a good way to make any extra mony besides waitressing or stripping?

Anything at all we get very bored and need things to do and we would rather make money while we do it.
Thanx Guys
Later RANDYY
No publishing companies here, sorry. Closest thing to publishing is if your wife gets a job at a local bookstore. Which is still better than waitressing or stripping. Most jobs in this area are service-related. About twice a year, Corning does a job fair and has applicant testing (they just did this last month). G.E. typically uses a staffing firm to find qualified candidates. Cape Fear Community College offers a CNC machining class and you could get up with the instructor or department head there and see if you can network a bit, or at least get some names and numbers. Because of its location, Wilmington has some of the lowest pay scales in the state, so don't be shocked when you see what some companies pay for some mid- to high-level or high-tech jobs (if you find one).

"Live close to the beach cheap" is not possible, unless you are living in a van. Not much crime near the beaches (unlike downtown) but it isn't cheap. Safety in Wilmington comes at a price (if you want to live within the city limits).

You can sign up for free daily headline emails and job alerts from our local newspaper. Visit startnewsonline.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,349,863 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
G.E. typically uses a staffing firm to find qualified candidates.
Actually my husband found his the GE web site. He just happened to have what they were looking for at the time. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
122 posts, read 429,382 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Actually my husband found his the GE web site. He just happened to have what they were looking for at the time. Liz
He was lucky. And I hope he continues to enjoy his job there, because he won't find another one like it in this area. I'm a laid-off software developer and I'm just trying to figure out which city to move to since I refuse to take a lower-paying job just to stay in this area. I talked to a few Human Resource friends & they each said that they receive close to 100 qualified applicants for each technical job they advertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,349,863 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
I'm a laid-off software developer and I'm just trying to figure out which city to move to since I refuse to take a lower-paying job just to stay in this area. I talked to a few Human Resource friends & they each said that they receive close to 100 qualified applicants for each technical job they advertise.
That's because years ago, everyone was told to go INTO the IT field...that's where the jobs were...well, now it's overloaded.

My husband is in nuclear engineering. A field sadly lacking people. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
122 posts, read 429,382 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
That's because years ago, everyone was told to go INTO the IT field...that's where the jobs were...well, now it's overloaded.

My husband is in nuclear engineering. A field sadly lacking people. Liz
Well, hopefully that new program that Cape Fear Community College is offering, in conjunction with G.E. in nuclear engineering will help ease their labor shortage in that field.

The number of I.T. graduates hasn't changed, but in my 15+ years in the I.T. field, I've seen many positions outsourced to India, where they work for $10/hr. as a programmer. But the purpose of this post is Wilmington and I don't wanna get off track. That said, even during the '90s and the Internet boom, there were very few I.T. jobs in Wilmington...ever. I was lucky to get mine when I did. But now it's gone....oh well. There are still good I.T. opportunities in other cities that are not tourist areas like here....I just need to figure out which one would be best. (I still love living here, but I don't see how I can stay.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2007, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Clemmons,NC
22 posts, read 65,524 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you so much for the info guys i really truely appreciate it.
Never thought of the comm college teaching cnc thanks for that tip.
but please any more info is greatly apreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
122 posts, read 429,382 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyy View Post
Thank you so much for the info guys i really truely appreciate it.
Never thought of the comm college teaching cnc thanks for that tip.
but please any more info is greatly apreciated.

Call these people TODAY! Express Personnel Services: 910-392-2300 (or you can send resume online at expresspersonnel.com). They are recruiting for PERMANENT CNC machinists and Quality Inspectors for a large company here. It was a large ad in Sunday's paper. Yes, this is a staffing company, but they are doing temp-to-perm for these CNC positions. They are doing in person interviews from 9am to 4pm, Mon-Fri this week. Take a day off & drive here for an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Clemmons,NC
22 posts, read 65,524 times
Reputation: 12
does anyone know payscale at GE or Corning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,349,863 times
Reputation: 3185
GE it depends on your job. I know it's very competitive. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top