Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 AM

278 posts, read 576,842 times

Advertisements

If I had your degrees, I would be looking beyond high schools, in places like Morehead City. For example Duke Marine, there are several very good museums along NC coast, all with education programs. This type of job search may improve your pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well.... where to begin.....

Poor Adam has decided to move to North Carolina ( as SOOO many others from the northeast have done and have made wonderful lives for themselves ). Now we find out from a few obviously well informed yet apparantly unhappy individuals on this forum that.... dare I say it.... it is hot and humid in July and August ! Imagaine that, hot and humid in July and August, hold it for a moment I'm writing this info down. And then, AND THEN another mindboggling revelaton... during this hot and humid weather, in July and August, in the SOUTH no less, there have been sightings of mosquitos.... amazing ! ANNNND, as if that was not enough, it is reported by these same individuals that in Wilmington.... and apparantly ONLY in Wilmington.... the economy is not great and there may be a shortage of good, high paying jobs right now.... so why in the world would anyone want to go there. BUT, and you knew there was a but, as I was viewing the magic motion picture box in my family room yesterday morning, I was surfing the different channels and it seemed to me that, unbelievably enough, they ALL.... yes every one of them said that the economy was bad EVERYWHERE in the country and that the unemployment "problem" extended to every corner of the country and that what the "country" needed was some good high paying jobs as they are not to be found ANYWHERE... and some even suggested that our fearless leaders in Washington, DC were " working on it ".... now, I had heard rumors of this before but now I find from these disgruntled few on this forum that it seems to be happening mostly, if not ONLY, in Wilmington, NC.

I would suggest that these "situations" exist and flourish ANYWHERE that Adam might go as long as it's below New Jersey.... ie, hot humid weather with mosquitos and high unemployment ( a situation, the unemployement that is, that our leaders are "obviously" working feverishly to remedy and as comes as no surprise, these leaders promise they will have it solved "soon" if only we will re-elect them for another term ) ! I must say that I have never seen so many unhappy people living in an area that they hate so strongly and yet do not leave..... while at the same time telling others not to go there...... a bit paradoxical I must say.
People have the right to know the truth about an area before they move there, plain and simple. Why are you always attacking everyone's opinions?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
My dear escapee..... as I recall YOU tossed the "free speech" thing into the mix..... I don't believe that exercising that right amounts to an attack.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 61,891 times
We, (my husband & I ) bought land in NC a few years ago, and can't wait to build on it and move there.. we are both sick of MA... not only the winters here, but the attitude of most people has gotten terrible. We have visited NC a few times and everyone there has been so nice to us.

I'm looking forward to settling down there.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM

69 posts, read 83,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_in_MA View Post
Thank you for all of the responses. Dadsdiesel, I am originally from Woonsocket, RI, so we were practically neighbors. I am still thinking it through. I have a lot of time, and I want to weigh out the pros and cons. I'm thinking if coming for a 10 day visit first, then look for jobs online if I like it.
The main thing that irks me is the go, go, go mentality of the East Coast...
It's very tiring...

Adam

If you are one of the thousands of unemployed your wont go go go here in NC since they are holding us hostage we cant afford to walk across the street much less go somewhere.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 PM

47 posts, read 152,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Comparing the cost of living of New England to North Carolina is like comparing the New England winter snows to North Carolina.
Bill,

If you want to compare the cost of living with me I would be happy to sit down with you, have a cup of coffee and run the numbers...

Pay is anywhere from 30-50% LESS than New England and cost of living is at best 10% less to equal.

If you compare a demographically equal town in Massachusetts to its counterpart in NC cost of living will be nearly equal.

Meaning, Boston and Raleigh will have equal cost of living with perhaps one difference, the house chosen in Boston will be on the average of 20 - 100 years old. The Raleigh house will be a McMansion on a golf course and perhaps 10-15 years old max. So, yeah, I guess if you look at it from that point of view, NC "costs less".

"Just sayin" - "its all good" - "bless your heart"

Old 07-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well.... where to begin.....

Poor Adam has decided to move to North Carolina ( as SOOO many others from the northeast have done and have made wonderful lives for themselves ). Now we find out from a few obviously well informed yet apparantly unhappy individuals on this forum that.... dare I say it.... it is hot and humid in July and August ! Imagaine that, hot and humid in July and August, hold it for a moment I'm writing this info down. And then, AND THEN another mindboggling revelaton... during this hot and humid weather, in July and August, in the SOUTH no less, there have been sightings of mosquitos.... amazing ! ANNNND, as if that was not enough, it is reported by these same individuals that in Wilmington.... and apparantly ONLY in Wilmington.... the economy is not great and there may be a shortage of good, high paying jobs right now.... so why in the world would anyone want to go there. BUT, and you knew there was a but, as I was viewing the magic motion picture box in my family room yesterday morning, I was surfing the different channels and it seemed to me that, unbelievably enough, they ALL.... yes every one of them said that the economy was bad EVERYWHERE in the country and that the unemployment "problem" extended to every corner of the country and that what the "country" needed was some good high paying jobs as they are not to be found ANYWHERE... and some even suggested that our fearless leaders in Washington, DC were " working on it ".... now, I had heard rumors of this before but now I find from these disgruntled few on this forum that it seems to be happening mostly, if not ONLY, in Wilmington, NC.

I would suggest that these "situations" exist and flourish ANYWHERE that Adam might go as long as it's below New Jersey.... ie, hot humid weather with mosquitos and high unemployment ( a situation, the unemployement that is, that our leaders are "obviously" working feverishly to remedy and as comes as no surprise, these leaders promise they will have it solved "soon" if only we will re-elect them for another term ) ! I must say that I have never seen so many unhappy people living in an area that they hate so strongly and yet do not leave..... while at the same time telling others not to go there...... a bit paradoxical I must say.

uummm....

Its HOT and HUMID here from like May till October with the most oppressive humidity from mid-June till mid-September.

As far as mosquitoes go, Mass will give NC a run for their money on them. Also, "no-see-ums" at the beach and May flies too...

It's the roaches the size of a VW that scare the h311 out of my wife!

As for your last point, you are right, I am trying to get back home as soon as I can. All I need to do is sell this over priced (I say over priced because everyone down here thinks its so cheap to live here, so what I paid MUST have been too much)... oh no, wait why am I being honest? Must be the "Yankee" in me.
Lets try it the "Southern way"

For sale, a beautiful home in a lovely neighborhood. It is priced well below those old rust bucket money pits that y'all have up north, it's great here, please move here, buy my house so I can return north and "suffer" those winters again. The winters here are great, summers are mild. You will LOVE the weather!!!! The people are SOOOO friendly. Remember, its the "southern charm" that you have heard so much about!!! - "Have a blessed day!"

Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The first part of this post is just rubbish. However, the last part -- try a different part of MA before you come to NC -- is probably good advice. The states are very different, and you might have a better time closer to home.

DadsDiesel -- You are hereby officially encouraged to leave if you don't like NC. There is no need to fester and complain.
Thanks for your permission. I didn't know I needed it.

Calling it like I see it is not festering and complaining. Warning folks what they will find out here is also not complaining.

I spent a wonderful weekend in Raleigh and I have found Cary to be friendly. Chapel Hill is enchanting and the western mountains remind me of the Berkshires. There is a break down however when one gets east past I-95. Something changes.

I also want folks to understand that it is NOT cheaper to live here. The taxes here are oppressive and skewed toward those who can least afford them.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 AM

279 posts, read 702,307 times
We moved from Maine and my husband makes more money here than he did up north. We were also able to buy a home first the time since it was too expensive up north. Cost of living however is about the same. We were taxed on a lot of stuff up north that we are here. I guess it all depends exactly from up north you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina