U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

168 posts, read 436,235 times

Advertisements

Denali is really nice, I think it is really nice IMHO (I'm also sort of partial to it because it is in my high school district ). I haven't heard of Windsor Downs. Winterville has about 5,000ish people? It isn't huge, but it is basically all subdivisions except for a few sections. As I said, there are zillions of nice subdivisions you just need to figure out what is right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,700,975 times
Dear Sritter,
I love Greenville, used to live there and visit often, altho plenty of folks who are accustomed to living near cities like Boston, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, D.C. don't like the slow rural pace and lack of 40-story buildings and 40 movie theaters. I agree with Bojangles that you might be better off finding a place situated between Farmville and Greenville, somewhere off that NC 264 corridor west of Greenville that goes alongside the two. You can choose from either subdivisions or country places in that area west of Greenville. See, if you were to instead pick Winterville, which is south of Greenville, as someone else said driving to Farmville even along the shortcut country roads is needlessly long. So, there is a place exactly between Farmville and Greenville, about 5 miles either way, it's a subdivision called Candlewicke Estates that's been there a while, along with a couple others back in there. It's marked as you travel from, say Raleigh on NC 264 to Greenville, about five miles after Farmville, the community entrance is on the right. It has plenty of trees that afford privacy between homes, large fenced back yards, access to a pool and tennis courts, altho I don't think there's an HOA, but you must check. It's just outside the city limits of Greenville on the west side, not too far from the hospital complex. You can find it in that Greenville Move website you mentioned, with cost, sqft, and pics.

By the way, trees are important when you are looking at a property, because, for example, a lot of subdivisions in Winterville are all out in the open, no trees, and yet one of the good things about Greenville is the characteristic of greenery, trees, river, then all the trees spreading south of the water and onto the old campus of ECU. Just a block off East Fifth Street, the university holds lots of outdoor summer gatherings, like watermelon feasts, with ice carving and picnicking and sometimes music, right in the middle of an ocean of grass shaded by great big old trees. See, Greenville started out as all rural, with a nice shady place on the river for a town to spring up where farmers could get their basic needs, and they built a teaching college in the middle of it, near the river. Well, the college grew and grew, still growing, and this student populous made the shopkeepers happy, so uptown grew too, more and more homes were built, and steadily the whole thing has grown to include petty crime, and also subdivisions are in what were once tobacco fields and thus will have no trees, and it would just be a shame to live away from the pleasant green of Greenville. Altho there are older subdivisions in Winterville, like Canterbury, that have trees and big houses.

Also, from Candlewicke Estates west of Greenville, it's not only an easy ride along a nice limited-access roadway to Farmville, it's also a straight shot into Greenville proper from there within ten minutes max. Just finish going all the way into Greenville along that main road NC 264, and get over to 5th Street (look at a map) and it'll go thru an older neighborhood, then thru uptown, which if you look to the left just as town ends, you'll see a greenway that goes a half-dozen blocks up to the river, lots of activities are held out there and at the river park, and if you continue along 5th Street, ECU old campus is on the right, of course marked, nice to turn right in there and ride around.

You asked about certain sports, and Greenville has an ECU ice hockey team, plus the ice is open for students and regular people, and of course ECU's football team is a big deal with a big stadium, and I'm pretty sure there's a dance studio for your daughter, and there's a river park next to the little uptown area, and the Outer Banks beaches are maybe a couple hours up along US 64, good weekend trip, and Emerald Isle beaches are down 90 minutes via Hwy 43, a laid-back day trip. Now, somebody mentioned Little Washington (that's what we called Washington), and while that might work, it adds at least 30 minutes onto any commute you make as relates to Farmville. You could always visit Wash and further to Historic Bath, both for boating and such, and since it was recommended here, it's worth checking out the real estate, too, if you can stand a 30-plus-minute commute to Farmville. In general, I'm sure you will find a great spot to live, housing costs are very reasonable, and I think you'll like Greenville, keeping in mind that at its core it is a rural college town.
GG

Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,929 times
Great information! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina