U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:52 PM

24 posts, read 98,234 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Wilmington in August, and I am pregnant and also have a young daughter.

Any advice on OB's and pedatricians? We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, so luckily they are accepted by pretty much everyone. I am a little nervous about switching doctors mid-pregnancy, but don't have much of a choice. Also any hospitals around the area with accredited Labor & Deliver units?

Also very important, I'll need a new hair salon. haha. Any great ones that anyone can recommend?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Okay, I JUST got back from MY ob/gyn visit. Saw Dr. Mason at Glen Meade Ob/Gyn. I liked him. He's a bit older but not too old. Has a gentle touch.

Hair salon...can't go wrong with an Aveda Salon. Any one of them. I've been going to them for over 10 years now in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Columbia, MO, and Toledo, OH...none have been a bad experience. Need to find one here now. Liz

Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM

25 posts, read 118,925 times
Default Ob/gyn

caitlyneck143:

My OB/GYN is Dr. Vicki Brown with Carolina OB/GYN. I absolutely love her and have referred many people to her, who also have been very pleased. She is very sweet and gentle and always takes her time with patients. She has two offices, one on 16th/17th Street near hospital, and one on Market Street near Porter's Neck. Their main phone number is 910-343-1031. There is only one hospital in town that delivers, New Hanover Regional Medical Center. No choice there.

Also, because you have a young child, you will need a pediatrician as well. There are several groups in town (I use Children's Clinic) and then there are some independent offices and family doctors . The large clinics can get crazy during cold/flu season, but mine has walk in hours twice a day, so I know I can always get in. If you want any more info., let me know.

Hair salons can be tricky. Some salons here charge a lot and then you can find others that don't have much atmosphere and charge much less. Where will you be living? I would try and find something near where you will be living, as traffic is terrible and driving across town to get your hair done is crazy. Hope this helps!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 PM

150 posts, read 551,731 times
Oh my, Dr. William Cooper. I live in Raleigh and STILL drive to Wilmington to see him. He is amazing! 1500 Medical Center Dr 910-763-9509

Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Sounds like she has plenty of choices, Liz

Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM

197 posts, read 876,355 times
I would also reccomend Carolina OB/Gyn. Dr. Cooper does not do OB work, just GYN.

I like Carolina Pediatrics. They have walk in clinic in the morning, and appts. in the afternoon.

Hair Salons -- a lot of people like Bangz. Steve Ward just came back to town after being in NYC and doing hair for all the stars. I've never been to him, but friends have who love him. I thinks he's kind of pricey, but they say he's worth it. His website: Steven Ward Hair

Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM

thank you so much! do you know how pricey steven ward is? he seems great!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:40 PM

13 posts, read 80,007 times
I agree with the 1st response. Glen Meade OB/GYN is one of the oldest practices in town. My doctor, Andrew Cracker, has been mine for over 30 years. He no longer delivers, but just does GYN, but the practice wants to keep him for his knowledge. My family doctor said whatever I did, not to every change because he was the best in town. There are 4 or 5 doctors in the practice, Dr. Mason being one of them. They all can refer with Dr Cracker if necessary.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,158 times
What about near (or in) Jacksonville NC? Does anyone have any feedback on the Crist Center?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina