U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:26 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,184,042 times

Advertisements

To make this big of a move with so little time to decide would send up red flags. But it depends on how y'all are. Could you see this as an adventure? Glass half full? Or as a burden, glass half empty? It is very different from Chicago, but it can be adjusted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,721 times
Cathie.

My husband took a job in Ahoskie(60 miles E. of Greenville), NC in 03. We lived in Chicago(North side) at the time. I refused to live in Ahoskie because there were about 5000 people living there and I just couldn't do it. We visited over a weekend(wasn't impressed then). It was his first decent job offer after grad. school so he took it. We were there for 6 months before we moved. It was so boring, conservative and depressing. We would go to Raleigh to do anything important. I couldn't believe a college town could have so little culture or life. I'm not sure of how important this job is but maybe he can move first to see what he thinks.

Good Luck, Sue

Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,042 times
Greenville has changed a lot since '03. Downtown, while it still has a ways to go, has improved a lot. There is a lot more shopping now...as a previous poster said there is now a Fresh Market, Kohls, Old Navy, and your more typical big box stores.

Culturally, the area is lacking but trying to improve. Having a renovated theater downtown would help tremendously.

If your family is into sports, this is one of the better places in NC to be. I've lived in Charlotte and Raleigh and have enjoyed my time, although frustrating at times, in Greenville. One of the larger factors for me was real estate costs...I felt I could get more for my money here than in other places.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM

And another thing...you have to keep in mind the overall size of the area. The whole County is about 160,000 residents...you can't come here and expect amenities like a larger city. This area's for people who don't mind a more laid-back lifestyle. And good eastern NC barbeque!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 PM

151 posts, read 308,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
If your choice is Greenvile vs. Unemployment (and possible financial ruin) then I'd pick Greenville. Otherwise, I'd skip it. There is literally NONE of the amenities of a major metro area (cultural, shopping, fine dining, etc.). The constant refrain of "Raleigh is only 90 minutes away" is very cold comfort. The day to day living is quite rural (or country or provincial) despite the fact that you are living in a city of 80k+ people. If you've always lived in/near a big city, it will be quite an adjustment.
I think I agree with this unless the job is a major step up for your husband and can be used as a stepping stone for other things.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,106,265 times
We moved to Greenville from the Portland, OR area in 2005. I was 40; wife 39; daughter 4. Before making a decision, I made two trips, one with my wife and daughter with me. I wouldn't make such a major decision without my wife having visited the area. We sold our house in late 2009, as my job ended. When we moved there, I figured we'd stay only as long as the job lasted.

My wife never cared for Greenville. We didn't find the area particularly welcoming - to be completely honest, I was surprised that we didn't experience any "southern hospitality" whatsoever from our neighbors. None visited; just polite waves. They warmed up a bit after we had lived there a while. But we always seemed to get along a lot better with non-locals. The majority of non-locals that we met experienced much of the same attitude - I really don't think it was just us. We certainly tried - going to kids' birthday parties and other social gatherings, etc. I guess being a "Yankee" didn't help. lol

All this being said, I still like Greenville. And I do love North Carolina, though I feel more at home in the Raleigh area.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM

PGV, the local airport, only has flights to and from Charlotte. Usually, it's quite a bit more expensive to fly out of PGV - we usually drove to Raleigh or Charlotte. But we did fly out of PGV a couple of times, and loved how convenient a small (VERY small) airport is.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 AM

PGV actually is undergoing a major expansion. However, it is still a very small airport.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM

610 posts, read 2,756,717 times
ChattyCathie:

You husband has less than 24 hours to make a decision!

What are your thoughts right now?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
PGV actually is undergoing a major expansion. However, it is still a very small airport.
But still no flights other than between PGV and CLT, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina