U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM

572 posts, read 1,407,326 times

Advertisements

I checked that out and found on page 15 that there is (according to them) a 1% chance that the sea level is going to rise 1.22 meters by 2010. ONE PERCENT. Now I find that highly contradictory to the info originaly posted in this thread that made it sound like a 1 meter increase in sea levels by 2010 was all but certain.

Also, according to that link (page 10) the sea level has risen 0.4 meters or about 1.3 feet since 1900. I'm thinking that would be pretty noticable to the naked eye. Like maybe at the statue of Liberty. Plus you've got to melt a LOT of ice to come up with enough water to raise the sea level 1.3 feet. I mean a whole lot. I'm estimated of course but if 10% of the planet is covered in ice then you'd have to melt off a full 10 feet from ALL of it to get a 1.3 foot rise in sea levels which cover about 70% of the planet. Wouldn't that much ice melting be blatantly obvious?

I'm just not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I checked that out and found on page 15 that there is (according to them) a 1% chance that the sea level is going to rise 1.22 meters by 2010. ONE PERCENT. Now I find that highly contradictory to the info originaly posted in this thread that made it sound like a 1 meter increase in sea levels by 2010 was all but certain.

Also, according to that link (page 10) the sea level has risen 0.4 meters or about 1.3 feet since 1900. I'm thinking that would be pretty noticable to the naked eye. Like maybe at the statue of Liberty. Plus you've got to melt a LOT of ice to come up with enough water to raise the sea level 1.3 feet. I mean a whole lot. I'm estimated of course but if 10% of the planet is covered in ice then you'd have to melt off a full 10 feet from ALL of it to get a 1.3 foot rise in sea levels which cover about 70% of the planet. Wouldn't that much ice melting be blatantly obvious?

I'm just not buying it.
This is why I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
2012 is coming ...
People can think we are immediate doom or this a bunch of bull. Global warming and 2012 are both fear mongering theories.. Or could be real, but I am not sweating it, I know Carolina Beach will be there when I retire. Another 30 years unless I can talk my partner in moving sooner.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
How could the "science" be so right in 1974 (Global Cooling) with decades of "proof" to justify it (Just like global warming attempts today) yet just a few years later be wrong? A 180 degrees (direction not temperature) wrong.
I sure wish we could fast forward 30 years so we could compare the silliness of global cooling and global warming side by side.
Bill

Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

3,319 posts, read 5,179,766 times
When more information presents itself theories change. But I am not sorry you don't understand how the scientific community works. It sound like a lot of people here don't. I am done with this thread.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
When more information presents itself theories change. But I am not sorry you don't understand how the scientific community works. It sound like a lot of people here don't. I am done with this thread.
It is kind of the down side to my home state. I find it incredible...But if you look at, say, managing our fisheries, the same anti-science fruitcakes prevail there as well. Oh well, you cannot have it all. One big conspiracy theory, I guess.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
When more information presents itself theories change.
Exactly. Global warming (just like Global Cooling) is a lovely little theory and not a fact.

Quote:
But I am not sorry you don't understand how the scientific community works. It sound like a lot of people here don't. I am done with this thread.
Mr. Bojangles-Your comment reminded me of an article by Dr.Roy Spencer, Climatologist and former Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.

"We skeptics are not smart enough to understand the science. We and the citizens of America, and the representatives we have just elected to go to Washington, just need to listen to them and let them tell us how we should be allowed to live."

Climate Scientists Plan Campaign Against Global Warming Skeptics « Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:28 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,636,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Exactly. Global warming (just like Global Cooling) is a lovely little theory and not a fact.
And if more people understood what the term theory means as it pertains to science we wouldn't have these discussions. Germ theory and gravitation are lovely little theories too, but would you refuse to take antibiotics to fight an infection and do you fly away to the moon when you jump really high?

Quote:
Mr. Bojangles-Your comment reminded me of an article by Dr.Roy Spencer, Climatologist and former Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.

"We skeptics are not smart enough to understand the science. We and the citizens of America, and the representatives we have just elected to go to Washington, just need to listen to them and let them tell us how we should be allowed to live."

Climate Scientists Plan Campaign Against Global Warming Skeptics « Roy Spencer, Ph. D.
Spencer's a bitter old quack who also believes in intelligent design despite having no background in biology and found out you can make way more money as a consultant for the energy industry and on the right wing media circuit than you can working at NASA. But nice attempt to argue from (misguided) authority.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM

According to Wikipedia the word theory, when used by scientists, refers to an explanation of reality that has been thoroughly tested so that most scientists agree on it.
Most scientists do not agree in the Global Warming theory. Global Warming as it has been forecasted is not a reality. Thoroughly tested? Come on. Al Gore making a movie isn't testing. And again. How can decades of testing "prove" Global Cooling, the coming of another ice age and just a few years later become Global Warming? None of you theorists have answered that one yet.
I enjoy watching the Global Warming Advocates quickly resort to attacking the intelligence of all who do not agree with them. Vitriol is always their last bastion.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
theories are proven true by exhausting all attempts to disprove them. Then they become a law or scientific fact, like the laws of physics.

What I have tried to argue here is that not all scientists have an "agenda" to push on people so they can make more money, as was insinuated earlier. Yes, Global Warming is a theory that could be disproven. Give me the empirical data to disprove Global Warming and i'll shake your hand and say good job. Otherwise, I think it is wise to keep an open mind about anything that could affect our planet.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
I'm open-minded about the topic..just as an observer, though, seeing the heat waves breaking records, the flooding, the typhoons, the droughts, the landslides , the fires, the new snowfall records, the food shortages, the birds and fish and bees and bats dying, the record number of species going extinct very quickly, the melting glaciers, the coral reefs bleaching and dying, and yes, even the increasing earthquakes, I do know something...

I know that Mother Nature is not very happy with us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina