U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,005,582 times

Advertisements

I "thought" some politician greased it to get it there. Since Greenville "has" ECU, it wouldn't go there. Even though that is the place (among a few others) where it should have gone. Greenville has an intellectual base already here. Having GTP here would encourage more graduates to stay here, as opposed to going to RTP or wherever else.

But it is 20years too late to refight this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 703 times
The Golden Leaf Slush Fund contributed the tidy sum of $100,000,000 to lure Spirit. And that is about half of the incentives.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 PM

926 posts, read 1,443,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
They were attempting the "build it and they will come" philosophy of commercial development. The only problem is every county in NC, SC, VA and GA has "built it". Until there is a fundamental change in the policies of the United States and a shift from a service and financial based economy back to a manufacturing economy then most of these industrial zones will be lucky to attract even one decent tennant. Kinston is extremely lucky that they got Spirit Air and they had better take very good care of them because there are 1,000 places that would kill to have an opportunity like this.
That's it in a nutshell. My vote as to when this shift will occur is NEVERUARY 17th. And I feel some sort of way about all these kazillion dollars of tax incentives being thrown to companies that will result in producing three jobs.

Anyway, I see the reasoning as to why is was created and placed where it was. But US-70 is a JOKE. I didn't even realize there were plans to upgrade it, and I'm not sure it even makes sense to do it. When I used to live in New Bern, I used to HATE getting on 70 to go home--even though it was only two hours, I felt like it took a week to get home. That's one of the biggest things that killed the GTP.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:38 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,005,582 times
The best thing that could happen for the GTP would be the military take it over.

If something occurred to move a Marine Corps Air Station (for example) closer to Lejeune. I am obviously talking out of my butt, because I have zero knowledge of this.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,632,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The best thing that could happen for the GTP would be the military take it over.

If something occurred to move a Marine Corps Air Station (for example) closer to Lejeune. I am obviously talking out of my butt, because I have zero knowledge of this.

They have Oak Grove OLF in Polocksville, and Bogue ALF in Bogue as MCAS New River in Jacksonville

AirNav: 13NC - Oak Grove Marine Corps Outlying Field
AirNav: KNJM - Bogue Field Marine Corps Auxiliary Field
Marine Corps Auxiliary Landing Field Bogue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AirNav: KNCA - New River Marine Corps Air Station (H) (McCutcheon Field)
Marine Corps Air Station New River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Marine Corps was looking for a new OLF out towards Lake Mattamuskeet way. As it would be halfway between Norfolk and Cherry Point. Not sure if the GTP would mett the requireemtns. A better tetnat would be Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon or another of these government aeronautic contractors.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,546,449 times
If podunk Washington county can muster up enough opposition to the OLF pretty sure Kinston would easily defeat it too. They're eventually going to have to just put it in Virginia; nobody here wants it, despite being overwhelmingly military-friendly otherwise. Every county the Navy's proposed a field in so far has shut them down.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

1,621 posts, read 1,931,555 times
Good news for GTP. A new company and jobs on the way...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...north.amp.html

Old Today, 06:23 AM

3,784 posts, read 2,418,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Good news for GTP. A new company and jobs on the way...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...north.amp.html
This article goes into more detail.

LGM Enterprises bringing 145 more jobs to Global Transpark - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina