U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 69,914 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a 25 year old female moving to Greenville in August of this year looking for an affordable apartment. I have never been to the area before, and only have from Feb 9-14 when I fly out to find a place to live. From what I've been seeing on this message board and others about the area, there seems to be a definitive "good" and "bad" part of Greenville. I have made appointments to look at a few different apartments, and many of them have mixed reviews online so I was wondering if anyone with some first-hand experience could give me some honest insight into them. The ones I am set to look at right now are:

* Wesley South (seems the nicest so far)
* Village Green (Very nice management on the phone at least)
* Brasswood (seems nice, but I found many mixed reviews and the lack of website plus very cheap rent concerns me)
* Nathaniel Village (looks very nice on the website but I see it mentioned on this board it might be in the "bad" part of town?)

If anyone has lived at any of these places or knows anything about the area they are in, I would love to hear it. I am moving from out of state for grad school and really need something cheap, but at the same time want to be safe! Thanks!

-Emma
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 PM

3,319 posts, read 5,178,799 times
NO to Nathaniel Village. It is a new low to medium income housing. Not to mention it is right beside the railroad tracks.

IIRC, you're going back to school. Are you gonnabe on the Main campus (majority of the majors) or on the Health Sciences campus (Allied Health, Dental, Medical, Nursing majors)? That will help the decision.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info on Nathaniel Village.... I seem to be getting the same advice from a lot of places on them. They sure made a nice looking website for shady apartments though! lol

As far as campus, I will be on the main campus and a music therapy major. I've never been to Greenville and my current campus is *very* condensed (takes about 7-8 minutes to walk through the entire thing), so I'm not sure I exactly get how far apart the main campus and HS campus are. I don't mind terribly if I have to drive a bit to get to campus, but I would love if I *were* able to walk. Any advice?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 PM

335 posts, read 357,517 times
Brasswood is right next to THE ghetto in Greenville, Tobacco Road. Avoid that area AT ALL COSTS. I lived in Brookfield for 2.5 years and ECU is just a straight shot up Evans Street from there. Takes 10 minutes at the most. The best areas of Greenville seem to be south of Arlington and east of Evans St. I would start your search there. The Firetower area between Evans and Arlington is a good area, but you don't find many college students there.

Last edited by metalhead0043; 01-21-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Is that both Brasswoods? Since they don't really have a clear website I'm not sure, but it looks like there's a Brasswood I and Brasswood II? Or is just one of them bad?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,037,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyboo View Post
Is that both Brasswoods? Since they don't really have a clear website I'm not sure, but it looks like there's a Brasswood I and Brasswood II? Or is just one of them bad?
Brasswoods is one complex. I is in the front & II is the rear. They were built several years apart. I units are rinky-dink, and II are much bigger and has a pool. I rented from them, but at a diiferent complex (Whitebridge), and service was terrible. I do believe they have a different owner now, however. The complex itself is not so bad, but the neighboring complexes (formally Tobacco Rd., now Kristin Dr. & Frontgate Dr.) are the absolute worst crime areas in town. Most importantly for your sutuation is that Brasswoods is on the other side of town, far away from ECU.

Nathaniel Village, while relatively new, is set between downtown & a bad neighborhood, plus right next to RR tracks. Nice place in the wrong spot.

Wesley South is along 1st St., which is mostly college students and close to the campus. All the complexes in this area are on the ECU bus lines, so that's an advantage. One negative about that area is that most of the residents are undergrads, so a whole lot of partying around there.

Village Green is a split complex. They have apartments off 10th St. (on ECU busline) and townhouses on 5th St. just down the street from campus. The same managent group also runs Eastbrook on Greenville Blvd. not too far from campus. Eastbrook has no one bedrooms, but they are nice and it's pretty quiet there, considering it's mostly college students. The run specials sometimes and it is also on the ECU busline. If you can afford a 2 bedroom, you should definitely check them out.

A little further away, but not on the busline is Belle Meade on Firetower Rd. They're in a great part of town, but you'd have to drive to school, which isn't too far. However, commuting to campus involves buying a parking pass, which is roughly $80 per year, and parking at the football stadium and hopping on a bus for a short shuttle to campus. It's not a horrible hassle, but something to consider.

I absolutely concur with the advice of sticking in the areas east and south of campus. The west side of town has issues and the north doesn't really offer much. Kinda circle just east of campus, south part of Evans St., Firetower Rd., south Arlington Dr., 1st, 5th & 10th Sts. areas near campus, & the east end of Greenville Blvd. Most, not all, of the complexes in these areas are decent for your situation. It's a mix here. For example: Rosemont Apts. are horrible, yet right next to it is Trafagler Sq. Apts., which is fine. I suppose you could print off the ECU busline maps and compare them to properties you're considering.

Good luck on your apartment search and schooling!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Wesley South has almost no partying going on. Very quiet.

The main campus and health sciences campus is about a 5-10 minute drive from one another. The heath sciences campus is actually larger than some colleges.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 AM

228 posts, read 521,066 times
Hello, my Office Assistant is a senior, nursing major and she lives at Wilson Acres on 1st street and really likes it there. It is only three blocks from main campus. If I trust that area for her, you would be more than fine.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM

WA, IIRC, can be a tid bit on the pricey side for 1bedrooms. Plus I've had friends say the management there isn't the best it could be.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM

OK, so here's where I seem to be at, let me know if I'm way off please!

Nathaniel Village and Brasswoods should be crossed off my list of places to look into.

Wesley South is a good option. Ashton Woods and Brookfield appear to be owned by the same people and are also good options and if I remember correctly, are pet-friendly. Does anyone know a price approximate for any of those three though? I can't seem to find anything anywhere online and I'm having trouble getting ahold of anyone but the answering service there. Also, is Pitt Property Management in general an OK company? That seems to be the impression I'm getting....

Village Green is also a good option. (I looked into Eastbrook, but $565/mo is out of my price range for now.)

Belle Meade is pet-friendly, yes? Some sites say it is and others that it isn't.... maybe they changed their pet policy recently? I looked on their website and saw another complex too called South Square apartments that look nice enough but have really mixed reviews online.... anyone heard of them before? It says they're only $335/mo which would be amazing, but I don't want to be paying less for lack of safety either if that's the reason.

Someone mentioned Trafagler Square Apartments and after looking them and Wainright Property Management up, I see *really* mixed reviews of the company in general. They seem to have some nicely priced units, but some reviews make management sound kind of shady.... or maybe its just certain locations? I saw the following places on their website:
* Cedar Creek II
* Gladiolus Gardens on East 10th St
* Medical Center on Paladin Dr
* Monticello Court I and II on Paladin Dr
* Paladin West
* Park West Apartments on Park West Dr
* Peony Gardens on E 10th St
Are any of these OK or particularly shady?

Wilson Acres looks really nice, but I'm seeing they're over $600/mo for rent in a 1 BR, which is way out of my price range.... thanks for the suggestion though?

I *think* that covered everything so far, but its kind of overwhelming when I've never even been near the area! lol Sorry for such long posts, but I really appreciate everyone's advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina